Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2010, 12:46 PM

548 posts, read 1,249,283 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOPATTA2D View Post
By some accounts we have spent two trillion on AA or similar social programs with no measurable increases in socio-economic progress. At what point do we give up?
I'm a black woman and I agree. Liberal politics have only crippled black people and made them complacent.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2010, 01:09 PM

924 posts, read 1,637,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reconmark View Post
Sorry but I don't buy it!!
The largest segment of people that benefits from affirmative action would be white women!!

"..These groups include women, Native Americans, Arab Americans, Latino/as, Asian Americans, and African Americans. Of these groups, the United States Department of Labor found that white women are the primary beneficiaries of affirmative action.

Focus on Affirmative Action (http://aapf.org/focus/episodes/oct30.php - broken link)

I'm not understanding how people deny that whites particularly the women, benefit significantly from affirmative action irregardless of socio-economic standing.

It's a total fabrication to suggest that only black people benefit from this program when it includes and as assisted every group of minorities including white men immigrating from European countries to the United States.

I think that more study should have been done before a post based on mis-information, and purposeful distortion as to what affirmative action is, it put forth as fact.
That has nothing to do with favoring white women for their race, it's because white women perform more successfully in school. Take a look at these statistics:

Affirmative action in the United States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

As you can see, black people's admissions statistics are, far and away, more lenient than other races.

Abolish affirmative action, that is all.

Old 03-30-2010, 01:34 PM

548 posts, read 1,249,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Llewelyn View Post
That has nothing to do with favoring white women for their race, it's because white women perform more successfully in school. Take a look at these statistics:

As you can see, black people's admissions statistics are, far and away, more lenient than other races.

What's your new solution to replace AA?

Old 03-30-2010, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYchi View Post
What's your new solution to replace AA?
For admitting, I think the best applicant should be chosen based on factors they can control and that they worked to achieve.

Old 03-30-2010, 01:45 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,798,928 times
Affirmative action had its time. That time is over IMO. All citizens should be hired based on their qualifications, not on which minority category they may fall into. Men, women, yellow, white, black, purple....shouldn't matter. Affirmative action now only goes to serve entitlement mentality and cause racial strife. Time to do away with it all.

Old 03-30-2010, 02:17 PM

4,050 posts, read 3,947,938 times
Quote:

Wrong again!!!

It matters not how you perform in school, Affirmative Action was the tool that forced the colleges to open up their programs to women in the first place!

Are you being obtuse or you really did not know this???

Women just started decided to become doctors, lawyers, engineers, policemen, and firefighters in the last 40 years in any meaningful numbers!!

Sorry spin it how you want, statically affirmative action has helped your segment of the population more than any other.

Old 03-30-2010, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Wrong again!!!

It matters not how you perform in school, Affirmative Action was the tool that forced the colleges to open up their programs to women in the first place!

Are you being obtuse or you really did not know this???

Women just started decided to become doctors, lawyers, engineers, policemen, and firefighters in the last 40 years in any meaningful numbers!!

Sorry spin it how you want, statically affirmative action has helped your segment of the population more than any other.
How was that at all relevant to what I posted? We're not talking about 40 years ago, we're talking about how AA applies to the present day, in that it's no longer necessary.

I couldn't care less who AA has helped the most, the point is I don't want it anyways. And you're still wrong. For God's sake learn some grammar while you're at it.

Old 03-30-2010, 02:25 PM

223 posts, read 168,366 times
AA - Alcoholics Anonymous can help a lot of people.

Old 03-30-2010, 02:38 PM

4,050 posts, read 3,947,938 times
Quote:
How was that at all relevant to what I posted? We're not talking about 40 years ago, we're talking about how AA applies to the present day, in that it's no longer necessary.

I couldn't care less who AA has helped the most, the point is I don't want it anyways. And you're still wrong. For God's sake learn some grammar while you're at it.
It's not unusual for those ignorant of the past, to try to ignore the implications it has on their life!!

Women of all races benefited from Affirmative Action during a time when it was uncommon for women to be included in the "professions", white women benefited far more than others.

You aren't aware of that?..not my fault!!

What you posted was irrelevant to anything posted by myself and honestly had nothing relevant to add to the discussion!

You don't want it, too late you have already benefited from it and your ignorance of it benefited you all the more!!

Old 03-30-2010, 02:56 PM

Quote:
It's not unusual for those ignorant of the past, to try to ignore the implications it has on their life!!

Women of all races benefited from Affirmative Action during a time when it was uncommon for women to be included in the "professions", white women benefited far more than others.

You aren't aware of that?..not my fault!!

What you posted was irrelevant to anything posted by myself and honestly had nothing relevant to add to the discussion!

You don't want it, too late you have already benefited from it and your ignorance of it benefited you all the more!!
I'm a guy... and I'm still in high school.

You can believe what you want. Frankly, I'm tired as it is and I'm not in the mood to get into a pointless internet debate that will change no one's mind.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies