Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2010, 08:13 PM

1,300 posts, read 1,493,244 times

Advertisements

But what does that mean - that he's clearly biracial? So you are trying to tell me, that if you saw Obama walking down the street you wouldn't see him as a black man? I don't think so - I am about the same complexion and have green eyes and NOBODY has ever mistaken me (or any of my light skinned relatives) for anything other than black. The reality is that is Obama was Jamal from down the block he would be just another black dude.

~ButterBrownBiscuit~

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
I'm not trying to diminish anyone's blackness or whiteness, if I have offended, I am sorry.

In the case of the POTUS he is clearly biracial -- black father from Africa, white mother from Kansas. He has admitted to self-identifying as black, which is understandable given his experiences facing prejudice. That written, the census is not about prejudice.

While the black person in America might have some caucasian lineage, one has to wonder how far back it would be. A few months ago, while raising funds to support the preservation of a building of local historic importance, an older woman hissed at me, "Might as well tear it down. Nothing but trouble-making octoroons lived in there when I was growing up." She was talking about someone who was the 4th generation descendant of the African American family line.

Given the percentages you've given, and based upon the results of African American Lives, I should check black as well as white. My Puerto Rican ancestors could very well have borne children with an African during that terrible period in our history. Yet if you were to look at me, I make Casper the Friendly Ghost look tan.

Which brings us to your point of race being socially constructed. If we wish to eliminate race, what better way than multi-racial people stating that they are multi-racial, as opposed to denying it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2010, 09:12 PM

9,519 posts, read 14,745,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
As usual some people hear the headlines but, never the real story. Both accusations have been de-bunked.
Debunked? By who? Faux News? Everyone who saw the video saw what went on,and there have been more incidents since. Debunked, indeed.

Old 04-09-2010, 10:15 AM

7,006 posts, read 6,994,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DifferentDrum View Post
Appalling post.
The lowest depths that black racists would sink to in order to advance their anti-white/anti-USA propaganda is indeed appalling.

Old 04-09-2010, 10:21 AM

2,125 posts, read 1,939,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by renault View Post
The lowest depths that black racists would sink to in order to advance their anti-white/anti-USA propaganda is indeed appalling.
do you deny that there are white racists who would like to see the president dead?

Old 04-09-2010, 10:21 AM

24,645 posts, read 38,651,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by renault View Post

And of course you have absolutely no problem with the implication that the President should be harmed or worse.

*calls FBI and Secret Service*

Old 04-09-2010, 11:14 AM

16,966 posts, read 34,718,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ButterBrownBiscuit View Post
But what does that mean - that he's clearly biracial? So you are trying to tell me, that if you saw Obama walking down the street you wouldn't see him as a black man? I don't think so - I am about the same complexion and have green eyes and NOBODY has ever mistaken me (or any of my light skinned relatives) for anything other than black. The reality is that is Obama was Jamal from down the block he would be just another black dude.

~ButterBrownBiscuit~
Obama self-identifies as black -- no argument there as he has skin tone and features which are clearly black. Self identify is not the same as actual genetic make up. He had an African father and a caucasian mother. He is of mixed descent. I do not suggest the POTUS say he is biracial -- although he did use that as a campaign strategy in the more conservative mid west. I am not asking the President to deny his heritage; I only question why a man who was raised by his white family feels the need to deny this portion of his racial heritage on the census?

I could simply check off black -- after all, my PR gggg grandparent might have born a mixed race child, and I apparently have a booty that all but confirms it. But as it is not clear -- I am working on my ancestry and am only into the early 1800's on the Hispanic side -- I check off a single race -- white -- until I confirm otherwise.

The President could help bring people together by acknowledging that there are many multiracial people in this country -- intelligent, attractive, athletic people who make us all proud. As has previously been mentioned on this thread, some black people have a trace of European ancestry, and white people have a trace of African ancestry. Is there some shame to be had acknowledging, yes, my mom is white, my dad is black on the census form? It doesn't diminish who our President is or what he stands for.

This census won't be publicly available until 70 years from now. No one will know what you or I personally checked off until that time. Maybe I am being a stickler for wanting to accurately represent my neighborhood. Life isn't solely black, white, yellow or red anymore.

Old 04-09-2010, 11:23 AM

8,624 posts, read 9,088,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eureka1 View Post
Cornel West is not an extremist and Farrakhan, who is, is nonetheless right on the money when he states there is a danger of Obama being killed by a nut. People who spit on Congressmen and call Jim Clyburn a "******" are capable of anything . And the teabaggers are egging them on.

Clyburn is a LIAR! They were all liars and have never provided proof anything happened. Obama is at no mare risk than any president before him.

Liberals, wrapping their arms around the racist and radicals, as usual.

Old 04-09-2010, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
Obama self-identifies as black -- no argument there as he has skin tone and features which are clearly black. Self identify is not the same as actual genetic make up. He had an African father and a caucasian mother. He is of mixed descent. I do not suggest the POTUS say he is biracial -- although he did use that as a campaign strategy in the more conservative mid west. I am not asking the President to deny his heritage; I only question why a man who was raised by his white family feels the need to deny this portion of his racial heritage on the census?

I could simply check off black -- after all, my PR gggg grandparent might have born a mixed race child, and I apparently have a booty that all but confirms it. But as it is not clear -- I am working on my ancestry and am only into the early 1800's on the Hispanic side -- I check off a single race -- white -- until I confirm otherwise.

The President could help bring people together by acknowledging that there are many multiracial people in this country -- intelligent, attractive, athletic people who make us all proud. As has previously been mentioned on this thread, some black people have a trace of European ancestry, and white people have a trace of African ancestry. Is there some shame to be had acknowledging, yes, my mom is white, my dad is black on the census form? It doesn't diminish who our President is or what he stands for.

This census won't be publicly available until 70 years from now. No one will know what you or I personally checked off until that time. Maybe I am being a stickler for wanting to accurately represent my neighborhood. Life isn't solely black, white, yellow or red anymore.
By saying he is black does not mean that Obama is denying his heritage. Thing is, there have always been biracial and multiracial people in America. Folks act like this is a recent phenomenon. It's just that whites have always excluded from their ranks anyone who had a trace of Native or African ancestry, and therefore, anyone who was mixed was either black (in most cases) or Native (in some cases). It's not that some black people have a trace of European (or non African) ancestry. Realistically, the majority of blacks have more than a trace of European ancestry. Henry Louis Gates says that 58 percent of African Americans have at least 12.5 percent European ancestry, 19.6 percent have at least 25 percent European ancestry, 1 percent have at least 50 percent European ancestry, and 5 percent have at least 12.5 percent Native American ancestry.

I recently had my admixture analyzed and came out 58% African, 27% European, and 15% Asian (in my case it is Native American and Chinese). I look like your average black guy.

Old 04-09-2010, 11:30 AM

2,125 posts, read 1,939,872 times
And even the notion of you being 58% African requires the homogenization of the genetic diversity of Africa. Trying to look at race from a biological standpoint will get you pretty much nowhere. Race is a social construct, or more accurately, a discursive formation. When Obama walks around, people will identify him as black and treat him as such.

Old 04-09-2010, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunks_galore View Post
And even the notion of you being 58% African requires the homogenization of the genetic diversity of Africa. Trying to look at race from a biological standpoint will get you pretty much nowhere. Race is a social construct, or more accurately, a discursive formation. When Obama walks around, people will identify him as black and treat him as such.

Yes, it is true that folks like Obama and me (and your garden variety Cape Verdean) are simply thought of as black folks. I am very much aware that race is a construct, but in this society (and many others) it is of overriding importance. Also, when mentioning my African roots in terms of admixture, I am referring specifically to the West African origins of the majority of the slaves who were dispersed throughout the Americas during the period of slavery.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies