Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2010, 03:15 PM

14,993 posts, read 23,892,069 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
Where were the Tea Party folks when everyone who drives was required by law to purchase liability auto insurance? .
The federal government does not require one to buy liability auto insurance.
Some (all? not sure) state governments require owner/operators of vehicles to purchase a certain minimum insurance coverage for their vehilce, usually just personal injury protection, not liability.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2010, 03:36 PM

4,395 posts, read 4,911,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
It's called expressive writing. Since you are not present to hear an inflection in the inquisitive statement that invites a response, the ? tips you off... or doesn't, as the case may be.
I was taught that there was a right way and a wrong way and no in-between.

Quote:
Thank you Justice Swagger. Ya do know that it's a bit more complicated than that though, no? Couple hundred years of jurisprudence, precedent, and interpretation kinda messes up that neat little framework.
Since Justice Swagger isn't in, I'll take a stab at this. It's not a couple of hundred years of precedent. The federal power grab has only been happening at such a high rate only in the last several decades. For example, until the 1960's you could order a pistol from the Sears catalog and have it delivered to your house. Maybe someone will on the Supreme Court will see that Article 1, Section 8 of the Constitution is not meant to "control" but to "organize". Look up the definition of regulate from the late 1700's.

Quote:
Oh. So freedom is "less lost" if restricted at the state level than if restricted at the federal level. Got ya.
Yes. If I don't like the way MS government does something, I am free to move to a state that better fits with how I want my state government to work. Can you respond without saying I can go to a different country if I don't like this one?

Quote:
Nope, don't understand. Could care less about "states rights" actually. Dare I say it: Who gives a damn except state politicians and those stuck in the provicial mentality of the 1700s?
I and a lot of others care about the intent of the framers of the Constitution. They put a LOT of work into this document. If you want to change something, amend it. Otherwise strictly interpret it as intended.

Old 04-01-2010, 07:25 PM

59,040 posts, read 27,306,837 times
"You are only required to buy auto insurance if you drive a vehicle. You are required to buy HC insurance if you are alive. Your options are, don't drive a car, and don't be alive..".

You are correct but, this is the usual tirade. Make wrong statements then call people who don't agree with you names. Real mature.

Old 04-01-2010, 07:46 PM
miu

17,769 posts, read 40,171,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
After looking at the images of the greasy, fat Tea Party protesters it makes one wonder just how many Twinkies, Ding Dongs, double chili cheeseburgers, Coke, Cheetos and Doritos it took to get those people that obese? That diabetes ridden crowd is a like a massive heart attack waiting to happen.
Oh the extreme irony of this statement coming from a black poster when the black community has such issues with being overweight from eating rather a rather unhealthy diet themselves...
Obesity and African Americans - The Office of Minority Health
African Americans & Complications - American Diabetes Association

Old 04-02-2010, 01:50 AM

15,754 posts, read 7,594,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by geeoro View Post
Never heard this outrage when everyone is forced to pay house taxes, inome tax, petrol tax. alcohol tax etc. Extremely Selective outrage maybe....lol
On all those above, not every one is required to enter a contract on, but with health care they are. More than a tax folks.

Not every one is required to buy a house. Not every one has to buy fuel, not every one is told to go buy beer (however, this is driving me to drink) Every one is required to pay into income tax to fund the entitlement programs. However those entitlement programs are voluntary to the individual they can opt out to receive their social security at retirement. You don't have to sign up. We don't have to sign up for medicare or medicaid either, they are voluntary. You know what else is voluntary, community service. Well for now it is.

But now in health care, you do have to sign up with an insurance company.

You know what this is dumb...

When it all comes down, then you all will get it. Apparently not before.

Also, (this is just my opinion) what is really going to be great, when on the W2 the taxes are increased and the health care card is in the wallet. The tax increase is for those who can not afford it...is this a great country or what.

The people who are all for this they must love being told what to do.

Oh and I trust you all will be in church on Sunday.

Old 04-02-2010, 02:09 AM

1,374 posts, read 1,305,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kentuckydad95 View Post
...how long is it before the government requires everyone to attend a church?
Uncle Barrack doesn't even attend church, so relax!

Old 04-02-2010, 02:54 AM

Location: Georgia, on the Florida line, right above Tallahassee
10,471 posts, read 15,833,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ringwise View Post
House tax - only necessary if you own a home, and those are local taxes.
Income tax - there WAS outrage when that was being discussed. But in any case, you are only taxed if you have an income.
Gas tax - see above.
Alcohol tax - ditto.

Are you seeing a trend here? Those are only taxed IF you participate in those particular endeavors, or if you buy certain products. Health Care tax is EVERYONE.
I'm just thanking God my taxes don't pay for Medicare or Medicaid. At least there is that. That would like be like being taxed for someone else's benefit. That's just wrong, man. WRONG ANSWER>

Old 04-02-2010, 06:45 AM

24,404 posts, read 23,065,142 times
I liked that doltish democrat congressman Phil Hare who when asked about the unconstitionality of forcing people to buy health insurance said: " I don't worry about the Constitution."
Hey Einstein, you swore an oath to uphold the Constitution of the United States. You'd better start worrying about it. And maybe the Declaration of Independance too since you don't seem to know much about that, either.

Old 04-05-2010, 09:57 AM

5,238 posts, read 8,793,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Icy Tea View Post
I liked that doltish democrat congressman Phil Hare who when asked about the unconstitionality of forcing people to buy health insurance said: " I don't worry about the Constitution."
Hey Einstein, you swore an oath to uphold the Constitution of the United States. You'd better start worrying about it. And maybe the Declaration of Independance too since you don't seem to know much about that, either.
You left out part of the actual quote. There was not a period after the word "Constitution." There was more.

"I don't worry about the Constitution on this [Health Care Law].

Why did you leave that part out?

Old 04-05-2010, 04:35 PM

122 posts, read 479,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert_J View Post
That is a state law, not federal law.
So you're okay when state laws tell you what to do?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies