Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2010, 08:24 PM

9,855 posts, read 10,408,647 times

Advertisements

Politics have no business in a doctor's office. The patient didn't mandate the cut or push health care reform. Why shame them with such a sign?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2010, 08:25 PM

10,719 posts, read 20,287,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pommysmommy View Post
Not to established patients without ample notice. If I walked into a doctor's office, had voted for Obama and saw that sign, I would feel like I was in a hostile environment. I would have felt abandoned. I would have left without treatment because the doctor's sign told me I was not welcome. I would definitely file a formal complaint against this doctor.
Yes, you would be right in that situation.

Old 04-02-2010, 08:26 PM

4,183 posts, read 6,521,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
He didn't abandon anyone. He just let patients know how he feels about those who support Obama's health care policy. He doesn't ask patients how they vote and then refuse treatment as that indeed would be unethical. Rather, he allows the patients to decide for themselves. Do you see the difference?
His patients who did vote for Obama will feel intimidated consulting with him. They don't have to tell him how they voted, but his sign has already planted the idea in their heads that he doesn't like them. How are they supposed to trust this doctor with their lives? How are they supposed to be honest with him with their most intimate problems? The doctor-patient relationship is founded on trust. This doctor has unnecessarily destroyed that trust.

Old 04-02-2010, 08:28 PM

16,880 posts, read 15,190,568 times
Quote:
Politics have no business in a doctor's office. The patient didn't mandate the cut or push health care reform. Why shame them with such a sign?

then dont for a liberal, of course these days that would also mean not voting for republicans as well.

Old 04-02-2010, 08:28 PM

9,855 posts, read 10,408,647 times
The TMA loves to send signs for us post in our offices. Guess what? Our patients are coming to see the doctors because they are sick. We don't need to create additional stress for ill patients. We do not post those signs. We are politically active behind the scenes and feel it best not to involve patients in the controversy.

Old 04-02-2010, 08:29 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,914,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
No, because his sign specifically told people to leave (get lost) if they are Obama supporters. You would have a point if his sign said "I hate Obama supporters" The former is a command asking people to leave his office. The latter is just an opinion about Obama.
I understand what you are saying but the fact is he cannot question his patients directly about their voting habits and then deny treatment. Therefore it is still left up to the patient to either sit there, disgusted, but accept treatment anyway regardless of how they vote, or to find another urologist.

We have signs in my state on some business's doors that state "no weapons allowed". That is a declarative statement. However the letter of the law does not allow those signs to be enforced against individuals with a CCW license. Therefore, it is a useless sign. Offensive to those who are ardent 2nd Amendment supporters and many would rather walk then spend a dime in such a business; but, the sign worthless in the eye of the law just the same. And that is exactly the way I see this doctor's sign.

YMMV

Old 04-02-2010, 08:33 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,914,531 times
Quote:
The TMA loves to send signs for us post in our offices. Guess what? Our patients are coming to see the doctors because they are sick. We don't need to create additional stress for ill patients. We do not post those signs. We are politically active behind the scenes and feel it best not to involve patients in the controversy.
From the caregiver aspect agree. However this urologist has chosen a different road. Don't have to like it, don't have to agree with it, but it is neither unethical or illegal. I imagine that the staff in that office might feel uncomfortable too.

Old 04-02-2010, 08:36 PM

1,313 posts, read 1,550,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aneftp View Post
Florida doctor tells Obama supporters to go elsewhere for medical care - OrlandoSentinel.com

I've seen it all now. I guess he's protected by the first amendment freedom of speech. I wonder how the medical board will handle this situation. His wife is a lawyer so I assume he consulted with her before posting this sign.
You miss the part where he said he wouldn't actually refuse anyone treatment????

Old 04-02-2010, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
I understand what you are saying but the fact is he cannot question his patients directly about their voting habits and then deny treatment. Therefore it is still left up to the patient to either sit there, disgusted, but accept treatment anyway regardless of how they vote, or to find another urologist.

What if you put a sign saying "If you are a Jew, you are not welcome here. You don't have to tell me you are a Jew, I don't have to know. But be warned that I don't like Jews".

This is exactly what the anti-Obama sign would have said, except I replaced Obama with Jew.

What kind of atmosphere do you think this creates? Are Jewish patients supposed to just file out of the office and seek another doctor? They have just been intimidated and dismissed by the doctor they trusted with their lives. These patients would be justified if they sued this doctor for harrassment and abandonment.

Old 04-02-2010, 08:40 PM

I suggest that all his Obama-voting patients send him a note stating "Since you injected politics into this, I will not be paying the bills for services you rendered to me. I will only pay doctors who voted for Obama".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies