Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2010, 10:26 AM

805 posts, read 774,111 times

Advertisements

The Entitlement Society feels that having a flat-screen T.V. 2 new late model cars, rent paid by Section 8, free education, free health care, kids dressed in latest Nike/Jordan fashion, Aid, aid, and more aid, Breakfast, Lunch and Dinner at MickeyD's and Red Lobster, $200 dollar do's, weekly visits to the nail salon....

.... and they are Oppressed???

.... give me a break! Like in.... GET OFF MY BACK and OUT OF MY WALLET!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2010, 10:30 AM

4,697 posts, read 6,447,687 times
There's nothing at all extremist about living within your means. Had my wife and I made other, more "consumer-oriented" decisions in the past, we would not have been able to retire at 55, a long-time goal of ours.

That said, I wouldn't mind a flat screen TV.

Old 04-02-2010, 10:33 AM

29,981 posts, read 42,930,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtinChicago View Post
The Entitlement Society feels that having a flat-screen T.V. 2 new late model cars, rent paid by Section 8, free education, free health care, kids dressed in latest Nike/Jordan fashion, Aid, aid, and more aid, Breakfast, Lunch and Dinner at MickeyD's and Red Lobster, $200 dollar do's, weekly visits to the nail salon....

.... and they are Oppressed???

.... give me a break! Like in.... GET OFF MY BACK and OUT OF MY WALLET!
No kidding. There is a section 8 apt. building in my town I noticed a couple of years ago. Huge banner advertising it as Sec. 8 on the side and there were at least a dozen satellite TV dishes on the outside of the building.

Old 04-02-2010, 10:35 AM

1,842 posts, read 1,708,106 times
To answer the Q in the title to the post. Nothing it is just not being done because that is how the rich get richer at the middle classes expense making them poor. There are some things that need to be done to get things in line.

First. We need to be saving enough money as a nation to buy our own national debt.
Second. We need to get out of debt.
Third. We need to have a bit of wealth redistribution. The middle class needs more income and the poor need more income so that we can have a sustainable economy.

Old 04-02-2010, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
No kidding. There is a section 8 apt. building in my town I noticed a couple of years ago. Huge banner advertising it as Sec. 8 on the side and there were at least a dozen satellite TV dishes on the outside of the building.
Yep! and many of these people have jobs!?

They have no clue of what it means to be poor!

They never get off the dole either, generation after generation on welfare!

They are leeches with a "you owe me attitude"!

Ungrateful, besides!

Old 04-02-2010, 10:45 AM

7,545 posts, read 8,326,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtinChicago View Post
What's so extremist about Living within your Means?
It's not the liberal american way. Why save for a rainy day when you can buy those $200 Nike's right now? Why budget for cellphones or health insurance when you can just get the government to pay for it? Why get an education to get a better job when the government will pay you welfare and food stamps and feed your children before and during school. Not to mention, if you get a better job making more money, you get kicked out of government programs and end up having to support those programs. 'Tis better to be a taker in this messed up society.

Old 04-02-2010, 10:45 AM

4,877 posts, read 4,507,214 times
[quote=newonecoming;13565825
Third. We need to have a bit of wealth redistribution. The middle class needs more income and the poor need more income so that we can have a sustainable economy.[/quote]

We been trying this since the 1930s. We still have poor people. Maybe we should try something else.

Old 04-02-2010, 10:46 AM

13,053 posts, read 12,950,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newonecoming View Post
To answer the Q in the title to the post. Nothing it is just not being done because that is how the rich get richer at the middle classes expense making them poor. There are some things that need to be done to get things in line.

First. We need to be saving enough money as a nation to buy our own national debt.
Third. We need to have a bit of wealth redistribution. The middle class needs more income and the poor need more income so that we can have a sustainable economy.
Please tell me you are kidding?

Old 04-02-2010, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newonecoming View Post

The point is that the "so called" poor have NO clue of what it means to be really poor!
They have a don't work, gimee, gimee attitude... DISGUSTING!

Old 04-02-2010, 10:53 AM

968 posts, read 2,624,265 times
understand that the redistribution of wealth is ineffective. as soon as we redistribute the wealth, the smart people will figure out a way for other people to give them the money back. hence poor people have all shiny things and warren buffet lives in one house, has a few cars and nothing extravagant. he's rich because he doesn't wear nike's.

so it doesn't matter how much money you give poor people, they'll always be poor. wanna know why? cause the poor people who didn't want to be poor anymore figured out ways to get rich...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies