Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2010, 09:18 AM

18,355 posts, read 26,479,237 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomander View Post
I am unsure if that is correct. I could be wrong, but I think one of the reasons to which the court ruled in favor concerning the invasion of privacy suit in 2000 was because they used the issue that the census specifically refused to release such information at the time and so the court used this as reasoning to support that the information obtained was sufficiently safe due to the record the Census had in protecting the information.

Do you have any something you could point to? I would much appreciate it, this subject is a side interest for me this year.
The government admitted it after that case, although, there was information about Sherman before then, but I suppose it's not particularly well known.

Census Bureau Aided Internment Of Japanese, Researchers Say - March 30, 2007 - The New York Sun
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2010, 09:38 AM

2,847 posts, read 2,515,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
You are a day late posting; the census forms are "past due" as of April 1st.
thats interesting, never receiver the postcard notice and never received the census form, makes me question the accuracy. none of my neighbors have got it either.

Old 04-03-2010, 10:17 AM

11,755 posts, read 14,643,030 times
Quote:
So you think it has something with an emotional appeal to appearing "tough"? Really? No wonder you are confused, you are basing your position on something that isn't true. The real question is, was that your intention all along?
Absolutely. It's bluster, and showing off how much "courage" you have to stand up to the big, bad gummint.

Old 04-03-2010, 10:20 AM

11,755 posts, read 14,643,030 times
Quote:
I don't like that reasoning because it doesn't properly deal with the main problem of the Census, though it may be an issue with some questions over the history of it. It also is an approach that has been shot down by the courts, . . .
Really? Can you cite me to the cases in which the courts have "shot down" what the Census is doing?

Old 04-03-2010, 11:35 AM

9,367 posts, read 25,202,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
The paranoia about the census confuses me. People want to feel "tough" by ignoring it or only filling out the "how many occupants" section, well that's fine. Feel tough. But it doesn't change anything.
What both saddens and tickles me is that some of the very folk that want less government intervention and spending are going to get more because they are not filling out the census, requiring a census worker to visit their home at a cost to taxpayers of about $60 a pop.

Old 04-03-2010, 11:40 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,668,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnolia Bloom View Post
What both saddens and tickles me is that some of the very folk that want less government intervention and spending are going to get more because they are not filling out the census, requiring a census worker to visit their home at a cost to taxpayers of about $60 a pop.
I really don't care how much it costs -- the government has more money than it knows what to do with when it comes to certain groups.

Believe it or not they are hiring live mariachi bands and providing free food and fun raffles for certain groups living here -- no problem that live mariachis cost far more than $60 a pop -- and free food and parties and raffle give-aways cost too.

Why should some people be thrown a big party to convince them to answer the census while others are given nothing at all.

I want my gov'mint party!!!!! Make mine with live rock music bands please.

US Census draws large crowd in Lower Valley - El Paso Times

US Census draws large crowd in Lower Valley

Families enjoyed their afternoon hearing mariachis and eating pizza and hot dogs at the Rio Visa Community Center. Women were attracted by the raffles, in which prizes were food.

Old 04-03-2010, 11:44 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,668,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
I really don't care how much it costs -- the government has more money than it knows what to do with when it comes to certain groups.

Believe it or not they are hiring live mariachi bands and providing free food and fun raffles for certain groups living here -- no problem that live mariachis cost far more than $60 a pop -- and free food and parties and raffle give-aways cost too.

Why should some people be thrown a big party to convince them to answer the census while others are given nothing at all.

I want my gov'mint party!!!!! Make mine with live rock music bands please.

US Census draws large crowd in Lower Valley - El Paso Times

US Census draws large crowd in Lower Valley

Families enjoyed their afternoon hearing mariachis and eating pizza and hot dogs at the Rio Visa Community Center. Women were attracted by the raffles, in which prizes were food.
This explains the race and ethnic questions they ask in the census. Those questions are to determine whether you will be given a government party and what kind of music will be provided.

That's why it's very important to answer the hispanic country questions correctly -- the government will provide you Mariachi or Salsa or Pachanga music accordingly.

I don't think Asian will get you a party or music so I'm not sure the purpose in those ethnic questions.

Old 04-03-2010, 11:47 AM

4,131 posts, read 7,440,057 times
I hope conservatives are really boycotting the Census. The less representation they get, the better off we are as a nation.

Old 04-03-2010, 12:10 PM

18,355 posts, read 26,479,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by winkosmosis View Post
I hope conservatives are really boycotting the Census. The less representation they get, the better off we are as a nation.
Most of us are giving only the numbers living at our homes. Just not answering the intrusive, unconstitutional stuff.

But not doing that for me would actually help conservatives, being in Vermont...

Old 04-03-2010, 12:54 PM

4,697 posts, read 6,444,984 times
It's a shame the Census comes around only once every ten years.

Each time, I am reminded how many truly ignorant people we have in the country, and amused by how pi$$ed off they are about the Census.

Hey, I hear that Census participation by the Latino community is sky high. Something else for the feeble-minded to worry about.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies