Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2010, 10:30 AM

9,879 posts, read 7,980,078 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamSmyth View Post
You can call your tree what ever you want. No one is trying to take Christmas or Easter away from Christians. You are free to celebrate how ever you want. Just don't expect the Government to institute it as the state religion. Personally, I want the government as far away from my religion as possible.
And rightly so.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2010, 10:32 AM

3,849 posts, read 3,737,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mag32gie View Post
Yes

And in America we had Dec 25 first and to wish each other Merry Christmas is beautiful.
I think a Native American would dispute that first point with you and I've never heard anyone say that wishing one another Merry Christmas isn't beautiful. Though I have heard a few of my fellow Christians insist that wishing one another Happy Holidays is somehow an insult.

Old 04-03-2010, 03:05 PM

680 posts, read 1,377,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Art123 View Post
It's sad but true: Davenport, Iowa actually went after Good Friday and tried to change it into yet another completely meaningless, politically correct celebration of the change in weather - like 'winter solstice' instead of Christmas. And that confuses me, because I thought Al Gore said climate change was destroying the Earth. Why celebrate the very thing that will end human civilization?
Wow... I'm convinced that Glenn Beck has relapsed and is drinking again. It's impossible to be this ignorant if you're practicing sobriety.

If I follow his reasoning, Al Gore is the primary force behind the theory of global warming, he claims that it will end human civilization, and this means that celebrating spring or Good Friday should be stopped because such a celebration means that we want the world to come to an end...

Did I get that right?

Makes plenty of sense... if you're drunk or you overdosed on LSD.

Old 04-03-2010, 07:25 PM

289 posts, read 310,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
Mr Beck ISNT a christian, so I'm not sure where you got all of this babbling bs from..
Your reading comprehension skills must really suck. Nowhere in my post did I claim that Mr. Beck was a Christian. Although, I'm sure there are any number of LDS people who would contest your assertion that they are not Christian.

Anyway....what exactly do you think we're talking about if we're not talking about Davenport and its efforts to "change" a Christian holiday, and Mr. Beck's subsequent hissy fit about it?

But, if we were to take your assertion as fact, two questions:

1) Why would Mr. Beck give a crap if Davenport wants to change their observance of Good Friday? (because, from the email, he sure seems personally invested in it)

2) Why is he so dismissive of the idea of celebrating a non-Christian faith's holiday/festival, if he himself is not a Christian?

Old 04-03-2010, 10:37 PM

3,175 posts, read 3,639,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsMcQ LV View Post
I think a Native American would dispute that first point with you and I've never heard anyone say that wishing one another Merry Christmas isn't beautiful. Though I have heard a few of my fellow Christians insist that wishing one another Happy Holidays is somehow an insult.
What holiday did the Native American Indian celebrate on Dec 25?
Yes, it is an insult to be told at your workplace that you are not allowed to say Merry Christmas because you must say Happy Holidays instead.
My daughter is a teacher and it is an insult that the teachers must call it a holiday tree.
It is not a holiday tree, it is a Christmas tree.
It is fine for everybody to get a paid holiday on CHRISTMAS to sit home and gripe that it should not be called Christmas because they don't like it and think it should be called Xmas, so they don't miss out on the benefits. So they pick up their little signs and march around until they get their way? So what if on the other side of the world thousands of years ago the pagans had a holiday?
This is America and Dec 25 is Christmas but only until somebody picks up their sign and everybody else just shuts up about it.
Hey, maybe this is what the Tea Party is all about?
Maybe they are sick and tired of everybody's rights but theirs.

Old 04-04-2010, 09:13 AM

3,849 posts, read 3,737,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mag32gie View Post
What holiday did the Native American Indian celebrate on Dec 25?
Yes, it is an insult to be told at your workplace that you are not allowed to say Merry Christmas because you must say Happy Holidays instead.
My daughter is a teacher and it is an insult that the teachers must call it a holiday tree.
It is not a holiday tree, it is a Christmas tree.
It is fine for everybody to get a paid holiday on CHRISTMAS to sit home and gripe that it should not be called Christmas because they don't like it and think it should be called Xmas, so they don't miss out on the benefits. So they pick up their little signs and march around until they get their way? So what if on the other side of the world thousands of years ago the pagans had a holiday?
This is America and Dec 25 is Christmas but only until somebody picks up their sign and everybody else just shuts up about it.
Hey, maybe this is what the Tea Party is all about?
Maybe they are sick and tired of everybody's rights but theirs.
Not being Native American and not having studied their history in depth, I can't answer that. Oh, and you DO realize, don't you, that different tribes considered themselves to be their own nations and each had their own holidays and other traditions? If one tribe didn't have a holiday on or around the 25th of December (or what ever they called that part of the year) doesn't mean another couldn't have had one.
As for teacher's needing to say 'happy holidays' rather than 'merry Christmas', can you not understand that there are students within the class that just might be celebrating something other than Christmas? Or do you consider insulting others to be important to your beliefs?
It's a Christmas tree to you and to me, but to someone else it might be a Solstice tree. So, yes, it's correct to call it a Holiday tree.
This is the United States and December 25th is December 25th. The majority of our citizens celebrate Christmas on that date, but by no means all of them. And this Christian sees no reason to attempt to insult those who are not Christian by insisting that they need to even acknowledge my holidays, much less celebrate them. That is what freedom of religion is all about - allowing those who do not share my beliefs to worship and celebrate in their own ways.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies