Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2007, 05:11 PM

7,541 posts, read 17,235,568 times

Advertisements

Quote:
"That paper was a survey of scientific peer-reviewed studies that he was asked to compile by the United Methodist Church, it's not that he was saying 'this is what I believe,'" Babin said. "It's a reflection of the available scientific data from the 1980s. It should be noted that in 1991, homosexuals were banned from the military and several years before that, homosexuality and Haitian nationality were considered risk factors for HIV/AIDS. Over the last 20 years, a clearer understanding of these issues has been achieved.

Asked about medical experts who disputed that Holsinger's paper expressed opinions timely in 1991 and pressed to explain what Holsinger's views on homosexuality are currently , Babin said, "we look forward to the confirmation process, where we can share Dr. Holsinger's qualifications and views."
Quote:
Holsinger's confirmation hearing, which has yet to be scheduled, will be heard by the Senate Health Committee, chaired by longtime gay rights advocate Sen. Ted Kennedy, D-Mass. Members of the committee include three Democratic presidential contenders -- Sens. Hillary Clinton, D-N.Y., Chris Dodd, D-Conn., and Barack Obama, D-Illinois -- eager to prove their bona fides during the primary season to the gay and lesbian community.
These are the important parts of the article. Whatever his personal leanings (gay or anti-gay, though I wonder why heterosexuals even adopt a position) are, they are irrelevant. I want to know if he can successfully personally adopt an anti-gay stance and not allow it to influence him in his capacity as surgeon general.

Old 06-07-2007, 05:42 PM

4,462 posts, read 8,023,360 times
At this point should we be shocked at Bush for attempting to get confirmation for Dr. Holsinger as SG?

Since Bush has been President he has been on a religious crusade; and has attempted to over ride the Constitutions separation of church and state.

For the most part the republican party has proven its ignorance on issues like homosexuality for years-

I suggest Mr. Bush watch the TV series 'To Catch a Predator' and see why most of the pedophiles are actually heterosexual- something they(The conservatives and the majority of republicans) seem to conveniently overlook.

Old 06-07-2007, 05:55 PM

30,353 posts, read 51,942,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spunky1 View Post
Obviously the percentage of gay men practicing this act is much higher than the hetero populace.
No, that's not obvious, considering the number of straight people vs. gay men - think about it for a second. Maybe proportionally speaking that's true, but overall numbers I BET it's higher among straight people... simple statistics can tell you that.

Old 06-07-2007, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by person View Post
Pssss, blowjobs aren't natural either.
Yup! And not to mention, they spread disease just as easily as "real" sex... and actually, they're now saying that STDs from oral sex are more common, since many people (young people in particular) don't realize you need to protect yourself. But I guess it's just easier for some to blame the gays, since it takes away responsibility from the straight population - which is probably spreading things at a higher rate these days.

Old 06-07-2007, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by citigirl View Post
Is this like the decry from a homosexual that is suing eHarmony a Christian dating site because she cannot find a homosexual to date?

God forbid the “tolerant” act tolerant if someone doesn’t throw their beliefs out the window and walk in lockstep with the homosexuals.
I visited eHarmony and there's nothing about it being Christian on the homepage. In fact, there is nothing about its Christian affiliation on the "About Us" page, either. Instead, the authors quote statistics from the American Psychological Society (psychologicalscience.org), an organization which supports the view that homosexuality is not a lifestyle choice.

I don't know to which decry you are referring, nor the decrier's lawsuit, but I just thought I'd point that out.

What I find amusing about Dr. Whatever's (SG-nominee) claim is that he overlooks, evidently, the fact that the penis is a tool for both excretion of waste and of sexual reproduction. Since he has condemned anal-penile copulation (as well as, I assume, anal-anything else), I wonder what his stance is on penile-vaginal.

Old 06-07-2007, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jabogitlu View Post
I visited eHarmony and there's nothing about it being Christian on the homepage. In fact, there is nothing about its Christian affiliation on the "About Us" page, either. Instead, the authors quote statistics from the American Psychological Society (psychologicalscience.org), an organization which supports the view that homosexuality is not a lifestyle choice.
I actually used eHarmony, and found quite a few Jewish men to date... so I guess that goes against their "Christian doctrine" too! And fyi, I had NO idea it was a Christian-sponsored website, so you're right in that it's hardly common knowledge. The fact is, they don't ONLY hook up Christians w/ Christians - so they solely leave out homosexuals, while including others that don't fit into the Christian category. Therefore, while I don't think it's an issue worth suing about, that woman did have a point.

Old 06-07-2007, 06:50 PM

2,970 posts, read 2,259,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
No, that's not obvious, considering the number of straight people vs. gay men - think about it for a second. Maybe proportionally speaking that's true, but overall numbers I BET it's higher among straight people... simple statistics can tell you that.
I disagree, the % of homosexual men who have contracted the AIDS virus is much greater than heteros.

Old 06-07-2007, 06:55 PM

Spunky, forgive me (and correct me) if I'm wrong, but that's not what you originally asserted.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies