Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-07-2010, 04:13 AM

38,859 posts, read 25,519,507 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wjtwet View Post
You on one line state that you do not resort to name calling and the next line denigrate the tea party by calling them people who place their genitals on others heads
I said nothng of the sort.

The dirt is in the mind of the beholder.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2010, 04:16 AM

527 posts, read 467,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
I read this article this past weekend, and I didn't find it surprising at all. I think the majority of tea partiers are mainstream, right-leaning, but mainstream. I also agree with one of the posters comments that mainstream Americans tend to be apolitical, or simply not interested in becoming involved. It's a GOOD thing, IMO, that a significant number of right-leaning mainstream Americans are becoming more involved. Has the movement sometimes been co-opted by more right-wing extremists? Of course it has. People who are politically more marginal often latch on to bigger movements in order to have an opportunity to express their opinions. It happens to left-leaning movements just as it happens to right-wing movements. Is there misinformation associated with the tea party movement? Yes, Americans overall generally do a poor job of vetting their information, rumors are always rife in American politics. (Not that that happens on City-Data, of course.)

But I've said it before, and it's worth saying again, especially when you don't agree with a group's agenda, you still need to listen to them. The problems they are reporting are often quite valid. We have common ground if we can agree that there are problems, and what the problems are. The dissension about how to solve the problems can be lessened if we try to deal respectfully with one another. Making fun of your political opponents doesn't make sense, it's a way to end discourse. We need more communication, not less, between the various political groups in the United States.
To say that one must listen to to a group's agenda, especially when one doesn't agree with them-is a nice theory-but I don't agree- why would I need to waste my time listening to anyone spouting for example racist ideas, treasonous ideas or any hateful ideology? Would you stop and listen to a group of neo nazis if they were giving a rally?What about a group of Islamic jihadists? Not all talking or ideas are worth listening to-

Old 04-07-2010, 04:19 AM

527 posts, read 467,445 times
Why does the OP feel the need to try to prove that the Tea Party is mainstream America? Maybe to try to feel better about their own beliefs? Safety in numbers. If the preise of the thread is the case than most of America would have jumped on the Tea Party Express by now, bound for Heavan Help Us-

Old 04-07-2010, 04:21 AM

146 posts, read 223,443 times
This thread belongs in the humor forum.

Do us all a favor Tea party and get Sarah Palin nominated by the GOP for presidency.

Old 04-07-2010, 04:25 AM

12,867 posts, read 14,907,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Factsplease View Post
But birthers and people who believe the anti-Christ is in the Whitehouse are. Until they lose those folks, they will be seen as fringe and somewhat uncredible since so many of them were oblivious to politics for the last eight years at least. They watched a train wreck in slow motion, all the while talking about the love they have for GWB and their country. Sanrene herslelf praised Bush but blames Obama for everything that happened on Bush's watch. It's hard to take someone like that seriously.
you are trying to tell an entire movement which members they must exclude and that is ridiculous. there are "fringe" people in ANY movement and the tea party, by its very nature, crosses party lines.

i think MOST americans were oblivious (that means democrats and republicans) until the bailouts. i know this is true because we have more registered democrats in the country, and that means that democrats voted for bush as well. the bailouts were a WAKE UP CALL to america. i don't think americans even thought a government that they trusted was capable of doing something like that to them, but they found out differently. now americans are wide awake and paying attention.

i think nothing proves that more than the past 4 elections. people do not want bigger government, more interference in their lives, and a "different direction" for america. americans are here by choice because we LOVE OUR COUNTRY.

Old 04-07-2010, 04:43 AM

12,481 posts, read 10,217,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Gringo View Post
I said nothng of the sort.

The dirt is in the mind of the beholder.
You one line claim your above calling people names and the next line and other posts you use a denigrating term for the tea party movement

Old 04-07-2010, 04:46 AM

Quote:
You one line claim your above calling people names and the next line and other posts you use a denigrating term for the tea party movement

That's your interpretation of an innocuous term that's in common usage. If that's the meaning you want to attach to it, by all means feel free to do so. But please don't gripe at me about your mental gymnastics.

Old 04-07-2010, 04:53 AM

Quote:
That's your interpretation of an innocuous term that's in common usage. If that's the meaning you want to attach to it, by all means feel free to do so. But please don't gripe at me about your mental gymnastics.
Yes many blacks do not think the n word is denigrating does that make it correct to use.The term is denigrating and wrong and your choice to use it shows you simply choose to name call at a time you say you did not name call

Old 04-07-2010, 05:06 AM

Quote:
Yes many blacks do not think the n word is denigrating does that make it correct to use.
I'm calling BS on this one.

Quote:
The term is denigrating and wrong and your choice to use it shows you simply choose to name call at a time you say you did not name call

The term is common usage, even in the media. If you choose to attach an off-color meaning, it's your choice. Be happy with your choice.

Old 04-07-2010, 05:23 AM

Quote:
I'm calling BS on this one.

The term is common usage, even in the media. If you choose to attach an off-color meaning, it's your choice. Be happy with your choice.
the term is rude and denigrating and you choose to use it fine that shows your. but do nor be a hypocrite and say you do not call people names when you clearly do
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies