Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-05-2010, 11:50 AM

2,229 posts, read 1,679,423 times

Advertisements

presumably because I was kicking the pro-health reform positions a$$ in logical debate... so suddenly, the thread came up missing.

Weird how that always happens to conversations where the conservative point of view is slamming the liberal one.

So,... lets continue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by twista6002 View Post
And that's what the shame about the HC is: it is a capitalist enviornment. If we could go back in time and explain to people in the 1700s about insurance and how they'd deny people with pre-existing conditions, they'd probably consider their medicinal practices more progressive.

So what that there is a profit involved. Thats how things get done. Do you think that people go to work everyday out of the goodness of their hearts to provide for society... or do they do it to make a profit.

Millions of Americans eat a healthy dinner every night too, because a farmer, a producer, a trucker, and retailer all want to earn a profit. That doesnt make the food nor eating "bad", it makes it work.

Quote:
Considering you essentially advocate denying people on the notion of pre-existing conditions, it's quite the contrary.

I do no such thing. I do advocate that people pay the premium which is representative of their level of risk in the pool. Further, I do advocate that if I feel that my premiums are not representative of my own risk, that I have the ability if I so choose to go out and provide for my own care. Both of which have been eliminated by this bill.

Quote:
Considering they're just there to make a profit and aren't interested in the bettering of most of their customers, I'd say it's better they're federally regulated.

Well, its amazing that healthcare has improved so greatly compared to the 1700s considering that all they were out for was a profit. I would think people would still be living to the ripe old age of 34 but would be paying a hell of alot more for insurance. That however isn't the case. Darn profits!

Quote:
I got a better idea. If you don't like paying for federally regulated institutions, like HC, school, etc. Go to Mexico. They don't have a problem with that down there.

Avoidance.

Don't apply a straw man because you don't want to respond to what I posted.

If making profits is so bad, and people have an obligation to society to provide healthcare which benefits the populace without and expectation for a return. Then why don't you go to college, get a degree, work on a cure for cancer, give it away to all of the people, invest your time, your energy, and your money to this effort, and when you are successful, we will all utilize the cancer drug and you will get nothing in return.

Why isn't that a good plan?

Old 04-05-2010, 11:55 AM

6,183 posts, read 6,045,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcarlilesiu View Post
So what that there is a profit involved. Thats how things get done. Do you think that people go to work everyday out of the goodness of their hearts to provide for society... or do they do it to make a profit.

Both.

Quote:
[color=black][font=Verdana]

Avoidance.

Don't apply a straw man because you don't want to respond to what I posted.

I have as much administrative power as you. Don't cry because you can't have it your way, as is life.

Quote:
If making profits is so bad, and people have an obligation to society to provide healthcare which benefits the populace without and expectation for a return. Then why don't you go to college, get a degree, work on a cure for cancer, give it away to all of the people, invest your time, your energy, and your money to this effort, and when you are successful, we will all utilize the cancer drug and you will get nothing in return.
Quote:

If I were in that position to be able to do that, believe me I would.

Old 04-05-2010, 11:58 AM

41,478 posts, read 59,581,341 times
Under my Universal Health Care system as a Doctor I would be making at least three times the median national income. This need only pay for food, lodging and transportation and the rest would be for toys and fun. The man or woman administrating the system would probably be paid less as a professional bureaucrat. There would not be dividends to pay or huge managerial salaries and bonuses. The result would be better care at less cost for everyone.

Old 04-05-2010, 12:10 PM

23 posts, read 15,104 times
Quote:
presumably because I was kicking the pro-health reform positions a$$ in logical debate...
presumably/presume

presume - assume: take to be the case or to be true; accept without verification or proof; "I assume his train was late"

nuff said

Old 04-05-2010, 12:15 PM

9,367 posts, read 25,147,243 times
I guess you must have stripped out the logical debate before reposting.

Old 04-05-2010, 12:30 PM
GLS

1,985 posts, read 5,367,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
Under my Universal Health Care system as a Doctor I would be making at least three times the median national income. This need only pay for food, lodging and transportation and the rest would be for toys and fun. The man or woman administrating the system would probably be paid less as a professional bureaucrat. There would not be dividends to pay or huge managerial salaries and bonuses. The result would be better care at less cost for everyone.
So, how does "making at least three times the median national income." offset paying 100 times the national average for education expense?

Also, isn't it usually the case that "professional bureaucrats" administering a system, i.e controlling it, seldom pay themselves "less"?

Old 04-05-2010, 12:34 PM

9,855 posts, read 11,880,585 times
Quote:

So, smartstuff, we have been doing it your way for decades, still are, in fact. Where is our cancer cure? I'm serious, where the **** is it? And, since it isn't here why are we paying $75K/yr for the experimental crap that does jacK? Do you know how wealthy Pfizer, Novartis and all these other Big Pharma conglomerates are?? There is no connection between income and results. Microsoft costs hundreds for each installation of Windows, Linux costs nothing but the price of the CD, nothing at all if you download it. If you guessed that Microsoft does a better job of making a PC work you would be wrong.

H (Windows if you must, Linux because you can)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies