Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you hope Congress passes a net neutrality law?
Yes 27 42.86%
No 22 34.92%
Maybe 1 1.59%
I need to study up more on the issue 13 20.63%
I don't know 0 0%
Voters: 63. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2010, 03:17 PM

4,604 posts, read 8,228,724 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinkieMcGee View Post
The FCC's goal is to keep content separated from infrastructure.

The cable company's goal is to charge you for content and bandwidth you weren't getting charged for beforehand.

But what more can I expect from white noise and slippery slope posters.
And you think you won't get charged for bandwidth with FCC regulation? Got insurance?

And how is your service provider going to charge you for content? Will they monitor the IP address of your download source? Then what? Interrupt the download?

Did you say slippery slope?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2010, 03:18 PM

41,325 posts, read 44,929,215 times
Quote:
And why is that?
Have they tried to do that?

Quote:
They are attempting to throttle specific types of traffic, this is literally what the entire link you posted is about. This would be exerting control.
Present day examples? Are they doing it now or did they back off due to pressure from users, consumers?

Comcast fixed the problem 2 years ago - has anything else cropped up to make you believe this will be happening?

Do you really believe the FCC/government would stop there if they got that kind of control?

Old 04-06-2010, 03:20 PM

3,292 posts, read 4,472,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
Have they tried to do that?

Comcast fixed the problem 2 years ago - has anything else cropped up to make you believe this will be happening?
They fixed it because the FCC stepped in. If the FCC didn't do anything they would have started tiering pricing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillysB View Post
And you think you won't get charged for bandwidth with FCC regulation? Got insurance?
What? No the companies control that because it's over their system.

Quote:
And how is your service provider going to charge you for content? Will they monitor the IP address of your download source? Then what? Interrupt the download?
They can block content the same way that workplaces block content. It's called white or black listing. They can also monitor and throttle data coming from certain ports, which I assume is how they will throttle bittorrent traffic. They will also be in a position where they need to start monitoring and caring what data you're transferring since they need to either throttle it or prevent you from accessing it, and if net neutrality is abolished they will be legally obligated to make sure illegal traffic is not conducted over their system since they will be liable.

Where does it say they have the authority to do any of the things you have listed? The cable companies actually have the authority to tier and limit bandwidth.

Old 04-06-2010, 03:25 PM

46,943 posts, read 25,964,420 times
Quote:
It ain't broke. Don't fix it.
Net Neutrality is the status quo, so - good advice, but directed at the wrong people.

Old 04-06-2010, 03:25 PM

Quote:
They fixed it because the FCC stepped in. If the FCC didn't do anything they would have started tiering pricing.
No, they didn't.

Quote:
A three-judge panel in Washington, D.C. unanimously tossed out the FCC's August 2008 cease and desist order against Comcast, which had taken measures to slow BitTorrent transfers before voluntarily ending them earlier that year.
Comcast, BitTorrent bury the hatchet - CNET News

At the time the cease&desist was ordered, the FCC knew full well they didn't have the authority.

The two sides worked it out.

In the interim, has Comcast done anything to make you believe your worst nightmares?

Quote:
If the FCC didn't do anything they would have started tiering pricing.
Please provide the links showing that is what they were going to do.

Quote:
The cable companies actually have the authority to tier and limit bandwidth.
Where have they abused that authority?

I imagine you are one of those that would like internet access to be free, smoking along the highest bandwidth available.

Old 04-06-2010, 03:27 PM

4,604 posts, read 8,228,724 times
Quote:
Excellent example.

Do you have telephone service? As in AT*T or Verizon. That phone service is regulated by the FCC. So, thru that phone service you pay for certain products and services... tiered pricing.

And now you want the FCC to control your data service?

Your ISP does one thing only. That is the DSLAM connection where your speed is controlled. From there your internet connection goes directly to the nearest ATM and from there on... IT'S THE WORLD WIDE WEB, BABY ! ! !

The ISP has got NOTHING to do with what you do on the web. NOTHING!

When whatever you're doing... the URL comes back it comes back to that same ATM then to the DSLAM where YOUR ISP redirects the content to your PC.

So you're paying the ISP for your internet connection speed... alone. And hey, if you didn't want to pay the price today you can switch back to dialup. And it's NOT going to change the content.

Old 04-06-2010, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
No, they didn't.

Comcast, BitTorrent bury the hatchet - CNET News

At the time the cease&desist was ordered, the FCC knew full well they didn't have the authority.

The two sides worked it out.

In the interim, has Comcast done anything to make you believe your worst nightmares?
Apparently they didn't since they went through with it anyway. Although you seem to be in favor of the FCC's involvement since "the two sides worked it out", so at least there is some common ground here (the FCC did a good thing and neither of us wants the internet to move in that direction).

Quote:
Please provide the links showing that is what they were going to do.
Sure, around the time that the FCC started telling them that it was "bad news":

Time Warner to Try Tiered Cable Pricing - PCWorld

It's not limited to one corporation. Coincidentally all these companies dropped their plans for tiered pricing around the same time.

Old 04-06-2010, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Excellent example.

Do you have telephone service? As in AT*T or Verizon. That phone service is regulated by the FCC. So, thru that phone service you pay for certain products and services... tiered pricing.

And now you want the FCC to control your data service?

Your ISP does one thing only. That is the DSLAM connection where your speed is controlled. From there your internet connection goes directly to the nearest ATM and from there on... IT'S THE WORLD WIDE WEB, BABY ! ! !

The ISP has got NOTHING to do with what you do on the web. NOTHING!

When whatever you're doing... the URL comes back it comes back to that same ATM then to the DSLAM where YOUR ISP redirects the content to your PC.

So you're paying the ISP for your internet connection speed... alone. And hey, if you didn't want to pay the price today you can switch back to dialup. And it's NOT going to change the content.
Eh, I'm done talking to the uneducated minority.

Good luck convincing people that net neutrality, aka the status quo, is a bad thing and that corporations have no real power.

Your argument is "this will never happen because I know the free market", my argument is "this is legally possible for the time being and corporations operate within the framework of the law".

Old 04-06-2010, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Eh, I'm done talking to the uneducated minority.

Good luck convincing people that net neutrality, aka the status quo, is a bad thing and that corporations have no real power.
Translation: All my points and arguments have been reduced to ash, so now I'll slink away, but before I do, I'll just throw out the usual insults when on the losing end of the argument.

Old 04-06-2010, 03:35 PM

16,259 posts, read 24,752,651 times
Quote:
The FCC's goal is to keep content separated from infrastructure.

The cable company's goal is to charge you for content and bandwidth you weren't getting charged for beforehand.

But what more can I expect from white noise and slippery slope posters.
Exactly 100% right. Why would Comcast want you to be able to watch a TV show from Zulu for free when they sell the same show for $1 with On Demand? That is what this is about. Like I said, I already pay for 6mps access. I don't want my ISP telling me where I can go and what I can see.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies