Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is it time for a legit third party?
Yes 46 79.31%
No 12 20.69%
Voters: 58. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2010, 02:59 PM

3,322 posts, read 7,972,545 times

Advertisements

I feel there is a growing resentment towards the government in the last few years. Here is an example:

I have heard on the radio regarding the massive majority of people will not fill out their census. Democrats will not fill them out so the government will need to hire more people to get the info in person, improve the unemployment rate...for like a month. Republicans do not want to them because they do not want the government to get anymore personal information even though the more people in each county, the more money the county gets from the federal government.

That is some irrational logic used by both sides. I can't stand either party but I tend to lean towards the right. Canada and England have more than 2 parties. We have been a legit 2 party country for over a hundred years. I feel it is time for a change. A serious change, not a Libertarian canidate taking votes away from a Republican so a democract as a better chance at winning. I feel the government is broken and needs major changes to occur or the issues we have today will continue to linger.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2010, 03:21 PM

5,513 posts, read 5,241,036 times
Default Time for Libertarian President

After both the Democrats and Republicans have proven themselves infinitely less fiscally responsible than the proverbial drunken sailors, it's time for a party to dismantle the obscenely bloated parasite known as the Federal Government. It was never intended to be allowed to impose an income tax, was never supposed to grab power from the States, and certainly was never supposed to become so large that it crushed the economy by taxing every activity and level of activity in the entire economy. The world is a place where economic power, not military power, rules the world. Lets get rid of the militaristic federal government that the Founding Fathers warned against, and begin again to build an industrial and manufacturing economy that can compete against China and the other economic power that have replaced us as the most powerful economies in the world.

Only a Libertarian President can do this; the existing system of two supposedly different parties that do exactly the same thing when in power (spend into infinity and increase the tax load that crushes economic growth) is an illusion to give the idiot sheeple the idea that they actually have a "choice."

Old 04-06-2010, 03:22 PM

1,233 posts, read 1,218,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dub D View Post
I feel there is a growing resentment towards the government in the last few years. Here is an example:

I have heard on the radio regarding the massive majority of people will not fill out their census. Democrats will not fill them out so the government will need to hire more people to get the info in person, improve the unemployment rate...for like a month. Republicans do not want to them because they do not want the government to get anymore personal information even though the more people in each county, the more money the county gets from the federal government.

That is some irrational logic used by both sides. I can't stand either party but I tend to lean towards the right. Canada and England have more than 2 parties. We have been a legit 2 party country for over a hundred years. I feel it is time for a change. A serious change, not a Libertarian canidate taking votes away from a Republican so a democract as a better chance at winning. I feel the government is broken and needs major changes to occur or the issues we have today will continue to linger.
You maybe gonna get one. The Tea Party. Coming to a theater near you soon.

Be fun to watch. Maybe Glen Beck will run with Sara Palin.

They could get Bill Oreilly and Rush Limpaugh to sit on the Supreme Court. Their big enough, and both like to judge.

Fox News could handle the White House press duties to explain things to us.

The "old moderate" Republican Party could then be used as a tool to try to pull votes from the Democrats and other free thinking Americans.

Corporations could be used to pay for it all.

Old 04-06-2010, 03:26 PM

17,531 posts, read 24,698,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtimer2 View Post
You maybe gonna get one. The Tea Party. Coming to a theater near you soon.

Be fun to watch. Maybe Glen Beck will run with Sara Palin.

They could get Bill Oreilly and Rush Limpaugh to sit on the Supreme Court. Their big enough, and both like to judge.

Fox News could handle the White House press duties to explain things to us.

The "old moderate" Republican Party could then be used as a tool to try to pull votes from the Democrats and other free thinking Americans.

Corporations could be used to pay for it all.
Oh boy the Very Silly Party

YouTube - Election Night Special

Old 04-06-2010, 03:28 PM

839 posts, read 982,549 times
This topic pops up here with some regularity, and every time I have to make the same damn post. I wish we had a multiparty system, I wish we had a more parliamentary style of government. However, unfortunately, the United States will never have a viable third (or fourth, or fifth...) party, period. This is for systemic reasons related to our electoral system.

The closest thing to a natural law of politics ever found by the field of political science is Duverger's Law which holds that any country with an electoral system with majoritarian voting and single-member districts, which is precisely what the US has,will inevitably have a two-party system. Any country which replaces majoritarian voting with run-off elections OR replaces single-member districts with multi-member districts will have around 3 to 5 viable parties. Any country with run-off elections AND multi-member districts will have 5+ viable parties.

In other words, the structure of our electoral system GUARANTEES a two-party system. From time to time a third party will rise briefly -- these parties tend to be personalistic, meaning they form around a charismatic leader rather than a real party platform... and they tend to die when that leader loses.

As such, if we want a real third party we need to reform our electoral system. That would require a Constitutional Amendment which would require massive support from both parties. Since both parties have a vested interest in maintaining the status quo this just won't happen.

Old 04-06-2010, 03:28 PM

442 posts, read 965,583 times
Can I vote for Ron Paul? Bo Grites? I am ready for a new party but remember who, who has the biggest and bestest toys wins. Sad but true.

Old 04-06-2010, 03:35 PM

839 posts, read 982,549 times
In addition to my previous comments, it should be noted that the unstable third parties that do arise from time to time in this country are almost always counterproductive as they steal votes from the viable party closest to them ideologically. For example, a right-wing third party would take votes from Republicans and, in doing so, help Democrats. A left-wing third party would take votes from Democrats, therefore helping Republicans. This is what happened in 2000 with the Green Party; it basically split the Democratic vote. If the Tea Party starts running candidates it will do the same thing to the Republican Party.

Theoretically, a perfectly moderate party would steal from both parties equally and could become viable but this is highly unlikely. Third parties do, however, tend to form at the extremes of the political spectrum, not in the center.

Old 04-06-2010, 03:37 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,048,770 times
A third party for the disaffected left and the disaffected right, now that would be a convention worth watching.

Old 04-06-2010, 03:41 PM

20 posts, read 22,616 times
no need for a 3rd even more corrupt party. time to do away with parties altogether and vote on what's best for the country and not individual greed as one BIG citizenry.,

Old 04-06-2010, 03:50 PM

12,372 posts, read 9,312,855 times
The more parties we have the more likely we'll be electing people with 25% to 35% votes. If you think we have discontent now with a two party system it will be far worse the more viable parties we have.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies