Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-09-2010, 09:26 AM

41,325 posts, read 44,929,215 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
Really??? Why didn't he say so? Because what changes in tax code happened in 2009 that he found so objectionable? Changes that actually took effect? Or were there tax changes that were passed (horror )during the previous administration that increased penalties and regulation?
He doesn't say, does he? So you can't prove anything. Again, your argument has no foundation.
I'm sure they've heard overseas about the brand new multi-trillion dollar entitlement as I'm sure they've also heard about the new IRS effort as I'm sure they also realize the other taxes that are coming down the pike.

Since this is a "present-day" interview, talking to people who are affected by present-day policy, there is little doubt what they are talking about.

Now you are really reaching at straws - to claim these interviews and the comments are not about TODAY, but about 2 or 5 years ago.

How absurd.

Quote:
Please elucidate. We would all like to be enlightenend, I'm sure.
I already did in a response to rhinestone. Go look it up on the previous page.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2010, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackandproud View Post
Thats just it DC, there WERE NO CHANGES in regulation and policy. George Bush signed the strictest rules in 2006, but the IRS NEVER acted on them. So until the OP can provide the changes that Obama has made to the regulations then as we all have stated. This thread is an EPIC FAILURE.
Quote:
Others are giving up their U.S. nationality to avoid tax increases in the U.S., as the government struggles under huge budget deficits. The top marginal tax rate is set to rise to 39.6% from 35% at the end of this year.
Changes from obama.

Quote:
Last month, the Treasury Department announced more rigorous requirements for Americans living abroad to report information on foreign bank accounts.
The law might have been on the books, but was not enforced, until obama made the changes.

Epic success.

Old 04-09-2010, 09:32 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,861,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
I'm sure they've heard overseas about the brand new multi-trillion dollar entitlement as I'm sure they've also heard about the new IRS effort as I'm sure they also realize the other taxes that are coming down the pike.

Since this is a "present-day" interview, talking to people who are affected by present-day policy, there is little doubt what they are talking about.

Now you are really reaching at straws - to claim these interviews and the comments are not about TODAY, but about 2 or 5 years ago.

How absurd.

I already did in a response to rhinestone. Go look it up on the previous page.
I'm not saying that the people who were interviewed weren't talking about TODAY(or really last year, since it's the last quarter of 2009 that you are trying to cite), I'm saying that the people who were interviewed didn't blame OBAMA for TODAY's tax code or the atmosphere of regulation. Most rational people understand that our country's tax code doesn't spring up out of the current President's head when he takes office. Most rational people understand that in 2009, people would be responding to laws and policies that had been enacted previously, like 2 to 5 years ago.

And you haven't told us about new laws effected by this administration. You've postulated about the future. Could that be because you have nothing solid to cite? No new laws? No new policies?

Old 04-09-2010, 09:38 AM

Quote:
I'm not saying that the people who were interviewed weren't talking about TODAY(or really last year, since it's the last quarter of 2009 that you are trying to cite), I'm saying that the people who were interviewed didn't blame OBAMA for TODAY's tax code or the atmosphere of regulation. Most rational people understand that our country's tax code doesn't spring up out of the current President's head when he takes office. Most rational people understand that in 2009, people would be responding to laws and policies that had been enacted previously, like 2 to 5 years ago.

Come now DC. We know in this country the changes that will be made THIS YEAR due to obama's HC bill...to start. People overseas are most likely well aware of that too.

When they talk about taxes "going up" that is a reference to the future, not a policy from the past.

When they talk about "mounting" US taxes and regulations, that is something to come in the future.

This new illogic, that these people are not talking about present day and the future, under obama, is just ridiculous.

Old 04-09-2010, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Come now DC. We know in this country the changes that will be made THIS YEAR due to obama's HC bill...to start. People overseas are most likely well aware of that too.

When they talk about taxes "going up" that is a reference to the future, not a policy from the past.

When they talk about "mounting" US taxes and regulations, that is something to come in the future.

This new illogic, that these people are not talking about present day and the future, under obama, is just ridiculous.
Please cite the changes that will happen THIS YEAR and how they might impact American citizens living overseas. Remember, be specific and points will be awarded to you!

Old 04-09-2010, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Please cite the changes that will happen THIS YEAR and how they might impact American citizens living overseas. Remember, be specific and points will be awarded to you!
Post 169#. Surely, you are aware of all the new taxes that will go into effect in a few short months?

Old 04-09-2010, 09:56 AM

Quote:
With the HC bill that just passed, Medicare taxes, Capital Gains taxes, the new mandates and taxes on small business and individuals, not to mention all the taxes on medical device manufacturers, insurance companies, drug companies, etc, etc, etc that WILL be passed on to the consumer.

That's just the start though. Get a look at the cap&tax bill and really, HOW exactly do you think his plans to reduce the deficit will be achieved? Certainly not by cutting spending - that leaves only ONE other option.

Do notice the "talk" of a VAT.

You see, some people have their ears and eyes open, while others continue to partake of the punch.
What specific tax changes have been implemented by this administration? The HC bill that just passed, much of which won't go into effect for years. So nothing there. Capital gains tax change? What change was that? When did that pass Congress? Mandates and taxes on small businesses---that will affect overseas citizens, how???????????? Taxes that will be passed on to the consumer----that affects overseas citizens, how??????????? The "talk" of a VAT? There's nothing substantive in your post to tell us what taxes you think the people in the article had issues with. And since NONE of them actually cite changes initiated by the Obama Administration, you have no foundation for your argument.

Old 04-09-2010, 09:58 AM

Quote:

You are the one who's illogical. You've been asked to back up your argument with facts. That's a logical request. And you've failed to actually support that argument with any facts. Your continuing recitation of your opinion does not make it a fact. You make a claim, back it up with facts. Otherwise, you have no foundation for your argument.

Old 04-09-2010, 10:00 AM

Quote:
What specific tax changes have been implemented by this administration? The HC bill that just passed, much of which won't go into effect for years. So nothing there. Capital gains tax change? What change was that? When did that pass Congress? Mandates and taxes on small businesses---that will affect overseas citizens, how???????????? Taxes that will be passed on to the consumer----that affects overseas citizens, how??????????? The "talk" of a VAT? There's nothing substantive in your post to tell us what taxes you think the people in the article had issues with. And since NONE of them actually cite changes initiated by the Obama Administration, you have no foundation for your argument.
I can't believe you are unaware of the brand spanking NEW taxes that are set to go into effect this year from the HC bill. How can you be unaware of the content of this legislation? The Medicare tax, the Capital gains tax - you don't know about that?

Old 04-09-2010, 10:08 AM

Quote:
I can't believe you are unaware of the brand spanking NEW taxes that are set to go into effect this year from the HC bill. How can you be unaware of the content of this legislation? The Medicare tax, the Capital gains tax - you don't know about that?
You know, I live in the backwoods of Arkansas. It sure would help if you provided actual links to these things. And then explained how they would impact American citizens living overseas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies