Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2010, 06:28 PM

10,719 posts, read 20,296,391 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Think what you do for a living. Then imagine what happens if it doesn't get done for a month.
Think what garbage collectors do. Then imagine what happens if they don't do their jobs for a month.

I stole that years ago and posted it on my wall to add perspective to smart ass high schoolers who looked down on manual labor and trash collectors.
Think about the economy. Think about how many people lack jobs. Think about how many people have spent the last 2 years looking for jobs. Now think about thousands of jobs being available that pay six figures and requires zero skill.

I think they can fill those jobs if they were to become available
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2010, 06:39 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,472,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
Think about the economy. Think about how many people lack jobs. Think about how many people have spent the last 2 years looking for jobs. Now think about thousands of jobs being available that pay six figures and requires zero skill.

I think they can fill those jobs if they were to become available
Think about what you are saying..

Fire the guys making 100K and hire new ones making less ???
That would complete America's Race to the Bottom.

While you're at it get rid of minimum wage..heck those same people out of work for 2 years would work for $2.00/hour ???

Are we turning on ourselves now ???

Old 04-11-2010, 06:46 PM

16,259 posts, read 24,761,129 times
From the article:
Waste Management's five-year offer includes a wage increase of $1 per hour in the first year, bumping up the current pay rate of $26.29 per hour by 3.7 percent.

How do you come up with $110K? That is about $54K if my head math is correct. $54K is not that much money in Seattle where houses cost upwards of $300K. The job is worth that.

Old 04-11-2010, 06:49 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,258,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
From the article:
Waste Management's five-year offer includes a wage increase of $1 per hour in the first year, bumping up the current pay rate of $26.29 per hour by 3.7 percent.

How do you come up with $110K? That is about $54K if my head math is correct. $54K is not that much money in Seattle where houses cost upwards of $300K. The job is worth that.
IMO, it is all the OT Kev

Last edited by Greatday; 04-11-2010 at 06:58 PM..

Old 04-11-2010, 06:54 PM

10,719 posts, read 20,296,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Think about what you are saying..

Fire the guys making 100K and hire new ones making less ???
That would complete America's Race to the Bottom.

While you're at it get rid of minimum wage..heck those same people out of work for 2 years would work for $2.00/hour ???

Are we turning on ourselves now ???
Yeah, why not? If I can hire someone who can do the same job and be paid half or even less, why wouldn't I? If they are demanding wage increases, you can easily find people willing to take their jobs for what they are paid now. The union is what is protecting them.

Think about what you are saying

Old 04-11-2010, 07:04 PM
'M'

1,956 posts, read 3,202,561 times
This thread caught my eye as I was passing through the Forum...I heard that in the small Colorado town where I live, garbage collections employees working for Waste Management make $11/hour...a far cry from $110K. What a shame...the collectors here are very professional.

Old 04-11-2010, 07:11 PM

782 posts, read 3,789,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
From the article:

$60,507(29.10) base pay. Add 6 hour overtime average in seattle gives you $13572. Add $15,000 into pension plus Another $19,000 for health and welfare.

60507(base pay)+13572(ot)+15000(pension)+19000(health insurance)=$108,079

These numbers are base on the contract wages at the end of their contract,

Old 04-11-2010, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
Yeah, why not? If I can hire someone who can do the same job and be paid half or even less, why wouldn't I? If they are demanding wage increases, you can easily find people willing to take their jobs for what they are paid now. The union is what is protecting them.

Think about what you are saying
It isn't easy as people think. 1600 employees is alot of replacement workers. A new truck cost 250k a pop...can't throw a warm body in those trucks and everything will be normal. It will never happen. Sure there always someone who will take your job for less pay,but can they jump in a truck and learn how to operate it properly and safely. The drivers will vote on the contract,just have to test the waters to see what you can get. Waste had the same problem in Milwaukee with the green team. They had more accidents and complaints in one week than in years. Milwaukee had 200 employees that went on stike. 1600 not possible. The drivers will win the battle IMO.

Old 04-12-2010, 09:05 AM

After doing my investigation the contract stall is over .50 cents a hour. The drivers aren't willing to pay $20 a week on health insurance out of their pockets. $20 dollars a week the union member should be ashame of themselves.

It's a total of 450 employees,with 1600 applicants willing to take their place. Pay the $20 dollar and sign the contract.

Old 04-12-2010, 09:15 AM

5,522 posts, read 10,198,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
You may pay the city but many times the city contracts out to a private firm.
How many trash collectors are hired by the city and are on city payroll ?
Maybe the big urban cities..but not all over.

Actually the city often contracts out to a private firm. However, for the private firm to charge each customer is a ridiculous burden for any but the largest of national waste firms.

For instance, the place I worked for picked the trash up for about 1 million total households. We operated with a staff of 7 total accountants. We would probably need to double that staff or more to handle the mailing, and A/R functions of a million bills a month. Thats not even addressing the cost of paper, envelopes and stamps.

How much easier is it to simply charge the city, and have the city worry about recouping costs from the houses. They already send a water bill out to every household. Adding a charge will require almost nothing but a little more ink.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies