Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-07-2010, 03:03 PM

25,947 posts, read 24,742,791 times

Advertisements

I was just studying Cleveland statistics and it struck me that in a city with so many minority residents (whites make up only about 40% of the population) there are parts of town and suburbs with 98+% white residents. In the 20th century it would not have come as a surprise to me, but today? Is there still white flight going on today? Are those suburbs closed or do blacks, Latinos etc. not want to live there?

Can American society, especially in troubled urban areas, ever heal as long as cities are divided like that? Are there no efforts on the part of city administrations etc. to bring about more ethnic mixture within metro areas?

Old 04-07-2010, 03:05 PM

6,183 posts, read 6,074,281 times
Check out the demographics of Philly then its suburbs (Montgomery County). It'll blow your mind. Also check out the suburbs of Newark named Essex Fells, Livingston and Roseland.

Old 04-07-2010, 03:08 PM

5,412 posts, read 4,239,419 times
DC has been long black majority, but more nad more whites are moving in, the certain suburbs are getting more and more black, like PG county..

Old 04-07-2010, 03:27 PM

3,644 posts, read 6,304,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
I was just studying Cleveland statistics and it struck me that in a city with so many minority residents (whites make up only about 40% of the population) there are parts of town and suburbs with 98+% white residents.
Like a White ghetto? If Whites are a minority and they congrgate into one area I guess it's like Chinatown in San Francisco. Whites make up a small minority in Miami but they are spread out here.

Old 04-07-2010, 03:33 PM

44 posts, read 54,667 times
Who cares? If people want to move then let them move. It's not any of our business where anyone chooses to live. Even if their motives are racist.

Old 04-07-2010, 03:38 PM

2,229 posts, read 1,686,521 times
I think that this is pretty easy to explain.

During times of high immigration into the United States by ethnicities of non-white origin, it has been typical to expect that they move to areas with a high volume of labor orientated work. Blue collar if you will.

Cities around the country represent large areas of blue collar professions, as well as some rural farming areas. Most immigrants move here from countries with standards of living sub-par to the US, so it is typical that they have a lower net worth and less liquid assets. It is not untypical for this to cause real estate markets to drop. Many cities have seen large victorian houses in urban areas chopped up into 3 apartments or for a house to be inhabitted by a whole family of immigrants. With the lower net worth, its also typical that crime increases.

Many cities have seen entire neighborhoods dedicated to one single prominate ethnicity. Little Puerto Rico, Little Mexico, China Town to name a few popular ones. When others immigrate with family already in those areas, it is natural for them to move into an area with people that they know.

This isn't exclusive to immigrants of non-white ethinicities either. Most large cities at the begining of the 20th century saw huge swaths of italians for instance... working low wage construction and other blue collar jobs.

Many whites do move to the suburbs, for economic reasons, because suburbs are typically less blue collar and more white collar orientated, and to remove themselves from probable real estate value decline. As people of non-white ethnicity climb the ladder and gain a positive net worth, many of them too find themselves moving to the suburbs.

For the first time though since this trend started, the United States is starting to see a slower growth in the suburban areas with an influx in population in the urban areas. I think this will be well represented once the census data is compiled.

In my part of Chicago, I can tell you that what used to be "Little Korea" is almost gone. There is a sign on the Kennedy Expressway (faded) that says "Korean Town Next Exit". However, upon arrival on North Lincoln Avenue, almost all of the Koreans are gone. Some shops and restaurants still remain, but the majority of the predominately korean area is gone. Where did they go? The near north suburb of Niles Illinois.

Old 04-07-2010, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twista6002 View Post
Check out the demographics of Philly then its suburbs (Montgomery County). It'll blow your mind. Also check out the suburbs of Newark named Essex Fells, Livingston and Roseland.
Yes, similar situation, Essex Fells seems to be New Jersey's Beverly Hills Some of those places seem so expensive that maybe only very few people with minority background can afford to live there. But I doubt that applies to all those smaller towns around big cities. Same thing in Indianapolis.

I just read on Wiki that in Miami the number of non-Hispanic whites decreased from 90% in 1960 to just 10% in 1990 as they moved out in response to Cubans moving in

Old 04-07-2010, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcarlilesiu View Post
I think that this is pretty easy to explain.

During times of high immigration into the United States by ethnicities of non-white origin, it has been typical to expect that they move to areas with a high volume of labor orientated work. Blue collar if you will.

Cities around the country represent large areas of blue collar professions, as well as some rural farming areas. Most immigrants move here from countries with standards of living sub-par to the US, so it is typical that they have a lower net worth and less liquid assets. It is not untypical for this to cause real estate markets to drop. Many cities have seen large victorian houses in urban areas chopped up into 3 apartments or for a house to be inhabitted by a whole family of immigrants. With the lower net worth, its also typical that crime increases.

Many cities have seen entire neighborhoods dedicated to one single prominate ethnicity. Little Puerto Rico, Little Mexico, China Town to name a few popular ones. When others immigrate with family already in those areas, it is natural for them to move into an area with people that they know.

This isn't exclusive to immigrants of non-white ethinicities either. Most large cities at the begining of the 20th century saw huge swaths of italians for instance... working low wage construction and other blue collar jobs.

Many whites do move to the suburbs, for economic reasons, because suburbs are typically less blue collar and more white collar orientated, and to remove themselves from probable real estate value decline. As people of non-white ethnicity climb the ladder and gain a positive net worth, many of them too find themselves moving to the suburbs.

For the first time though since this trend started, the United States is starting to see a slower growth in the suburban areas with an influx in population in the urban areas. I think this will be well represented once the census data is compiled.

In my part of Chicago, I can tell you that what used to be "Little Korea" is almost gone. There is a sign on the Kennedy Expressway (faded) that says "Korean Town Next Exit". However, upon arrival on North Lincoln Avenue, almost all of the Koreans are gone. Some shops and restaurants still remain, but the majority of the predominately korean area is gone. Where did they go? The near north suburb of Niles Illinois.
Interesting. There seems to be extreme dynamics, over here that is not the case. People have their homes and often times live in them for generations, no matter who moves in or out around them, no matter how real estate prices develop. People may move away to rent an apartment while they attend university. But after that they usually return. I myself am not like that, but I know people here who prefer working for very low wages or even being unemployed for some time to moving to another city for work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies