Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2010, 05:37 AM

20,300 posts, read 22,217,585 times

Advertisements

Obama seeks $2.8 billion for Haiti - Yahoo! News (http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100324/ap_on_go_pr_wh/us_obama_haiti_3 - broken link)
We are borrowing money from China just to pay our own bills and now Obama wants to get 2.8 billion for haiti on top of the Millions we have already spent.
Yes we all understand Haiti is in a very bad way right now. We all understand that they need help.
Why doesn't Haiti try to get a loan from China? Better still why doesn't Europe donate the money.
Whats sad is the people who need that money are not likely to see a dime of it do to the corrupt Gov of Haiti.
Call me cold hearted but we just can not afford these give away programs. 3 billion for Israel, Just about the same for Egypt and Jordon. 2 wars with no end in sight. A trillion dollar Heath care bill, Uncontroled illegal immigration, 10% unemployment and rising.
Am I the only one that wonders where we will get the money for this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2010, 05:42 AM

12,867 posts, read 14,911,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
Obama seeks $2.8 billion for Haiti - Yahoo! News (http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100324/ap_on_go_pr_wh/us_obama_haiti_3 - broken link)
We are borrowing money from China just to pay our own bills and now Obama wants to get 2.8 billion for haiti on top of the Millions we have already spent.
Yes we all understand Haiti is in a very bad way right now. We all understand that they need help.
Why doesn't Haiti try to get a loan from China? Better still why doesn't Europe donate the money.
Whats sad is the people who need that money are not likely to see a dime of it do to the corrupt Gov of Haiti.
Call me cold hearted but we just can not afford these give away programs. 3 billion for Israel, Just about the same for Egypt and Jordon. 2 wars with no end in sight. A trillion dollar Heath care bill, Uncontroled illegal immigration, 10% unemployment and rising.
the government doesn't care!

it is all in the hazy future and not their problem this minute. of course, it is a future that will be realized sooner than they think.

look at the global imbalances, with the poor countries getting poorer. do you think our tax dollars are making it to those people? you know the answer.

the rich are getting richer on a global level, and the poor are getting poorer on a global level.
look at the fall of the euro for example.
look at the struggles of iceland for example.
look at the debt level of portugal for example.
look at the crisis in greece for example.

Old 03-25-2010, 06:01 AM

If all the prvious aid over the years resulted in the mess haiti is in what makes anyone think that 2.8 billion more will make even the slightest bit of difference?
Let South America do a bit more. Let Venezuela do more. Oil rich and always an armchair quarterback.
Let France pony up. They certainly had a lot to say about how we managed the airlift of supplies.

Old 03-25-2010, 06:05 AM

9,367 posts, read 25,208,767 times
If it will prevent them from coming over in droves, it will be money well spent, as the cost would be much greater should that occur. Even if you don't care about the human suffering that they are experiencing (when it is hard to believe that it could have been worse than pre-earthquake poverty), you should support this, IMO, as it will save us money in the long run. You can't just take them out to sea and send them adrift once they arrive.

Did you, likewise, support eliminating funding for the fence and patrols along the Mexican border?

Old 03-25-2010, 06:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnolia Bloom View Post
If it will prevent them from coming over in droves, it will be money well spent, as the cost would be much greater should that occur. Even if you don't care about the human suffering that they are experiencing (when it is hard to believe that it could have been worse than pre-earthquake poverty), you should support this, IMO, as it will save us money in the long run. You can't just take them out to sea and send them adrift once they arrive.

Did you, likewise, support eliminating funding for the fence and patrols along the Mexican border?
Nope.
And I disagree about the boats. We send how many cubans back that we catch at sea?
Its not that I don't care about the suffering. Its that I understand that as a nation we can not afford all these charity cases when we are borrowing heavily from China. China a nation that does not particularly like us.
As I said before. Let all the Arm Chair quarterbacks take the lead for a change. Let the foremost experts from Europe demonstrate that they can do something besides complain about how we do it.

Old 03-25-2010, 06:15 AM

9,855 posts, read 10,411,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
It's your pound of flesh so Obama doesn't care.

Old 03-25-2010, 06:31 AM

10,494 posts, read 27,238,533 times
I made a small personal donation to Haiti myself. However, I do not feel it is right to use everyone's tax dollars to do this.

Old 03-25-2010, 06:33 AM

12,867 posts, read 14,911,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnolia Bloom View Post

we know that they are already coming to florida for medical treatment and that our government has promised to reimburse florida for the cost of that medical treatment:

http://www.wflx.com/Global/story.asp?S=11918739

as well, after the haiti disaster deportation orders were halted so we have the added cost of that, in addition to the financial aid in haiti and in addition to the medical aid provided here.

unlike some other countries which could help, we don't have a reserve fund to pay for all of this, so this means taxpayers will get socked one way or the other because the government gets funding from the people, not from any savings.

Old 03-25-2010, 09:22 AM

563 posts, read 518,769 times
We do not need to be sending money over there. Obama will give them Billions and we still have people here losing their houses and living on the streets and kids going hungry, but hey, lets make sure other countries do not suffer.

Let them get the money somewhere else. Time to start looking for a cash job and stop paying into this non sense.

Old 03-25-2010, 09:42 AM

7,006 posts, read 6,992,868 times
Tell him to take it out of our aid to Israel.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies