Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2010, 08:00 AM

5,562 posts, read 5,680,664 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DifferentDrum View Post
JPMorgan, Morgan Stanley Among 10 Banks Repaying TARP (Update2) - Bloomberg.com

It's a start, and actually a pretty quick turn around with more to come. Now it's time for the banks and the rest of the private sector to step up and do the right thing- start hiring, start lending, etc.

Also:

Maybe there is too much fear and not enough confidence.

JpMorgan... hmm is Jpmorgan a part owner in the FED. :-)
Wouldn't it be nice to know but i can tell you this he helped start the FED in 1913 I think teh company is a LARGE part of the system.
So I am telling you the FED printed (TARP) money which bailed himself out and he just repayed himself. They charged you (taxpayer) interest on the money morgan loaned to himself and then he repayed it back.
If people only knew what crazy stuff is really going on with the tax payer and income tax they would revolt tommorrow.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2010, 08:07 AM

37,794 posts, read 40,990,020 times
Jobless Claims Rise

"The number of people applying for unemployment benefits rose 18,000 to a seasonally adjusted 460,000 in the week ended April 3, the Labor Department reported Thursday. In a somewhat discouraging sign for the U.S. labor market, the number of workers filing new claims for jobless benefits unexpectedly rose last week."

U.S. initial jobless claims up 18,000 to 460,000 Economic Report - MarketWatch

"A U.S. Labor Department economist said Thursday the unexpected increase in claims was due in part to the Easter holiday and also due to the celebration of Cesar Chavez Day in California -- a state that is big enough to move the national numbers."

Jobless Claims Rise in Latest Week - WSJ.com

Whaaaat? How exactly does Easter Sunday cause an increase in unemployment claims?

Old 04-08-2010, 08:09 AM

337 posts, read 663,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zz4guy View Post
I thought our wonderful young president was going to focus like a laser on jobs now that healthcare is over with. Getting sick and tired of 10% unemployment. All the while the governments are growing by leaps and bounds.
U know what is always funny I always here people talking about there being no work out there, yet when ever I drive down the road I always see help wanted signs.

Take for instance my best friend who has a wife and 2 lovely kids, he's been in real estate appraisal for a few years and obviously no work there, yet he's always talking about no work anywhere.

Hey the fast food places are always hiring. If i were a parent and my kids well being was threatened by the economy I'd take any job I had to in order to provide for them. I guess even the less educated Americans feel they are entitled to better jobs

Old 04-08-2010, 08:26 AM

52,708 posts, read 34,525,339 times
Quote:
Just keeping you honest on that 5% thingey you've got going.

Yes, yes, yes, it did rise, but under who's watch, pray tell, considering the circumstances, would it not have risen? Do you really think McCain would have had us completely out of this mess by now? Get real, and for pete's sake go out and getcherself a little honesty and perspective.
none of what you posted has a thing to do with nancy's howling about 5% unemployment under bush, compared to her painting happy faces on everything now.

Old 04-08-2010, 08:37 AM

37,959 posts, read 22,134,270 times
Quote:
I thought our wonderful young president was going to focus like a laser on jobs now that healthcare is over with. Getting sick and tired of 10% unemployment. All the while the governments are growing by leaps and bounds.
0bama's health care bill will prob create 30,000-40,000 new government jobs at a cost of an average of $70,000 each, and he will have 300,000 more temporary federal census workers by May.

Seriously though, I think this president his administration and the democrats in the legislature are acting in a reckless manner, by creating an environment of instability and uncertainty in the private business sector, which is doing damage to the economy.

The actions and statements by these people in government, by spending the last year threatening to: pass a carbon cap & tax bill, force employers to provide health care insurance for all their employees or face fines, creating new tax increases, capping salaries, regulating CO2, the Treasury Dept taking over banks and businesses, lurching from demonizing one sector of privately owned businesses to another, and basically acting chaotic and hostile towards the private sector.

These actions are causing business owners to hunker down, to not expand, to not take risks and to get as small as they can, either by getting rid of employees or deciding not to hire new employees. Even banks are trying to hoard cash so that Geithner does not come in and take them over for taking a risk or not having enough capital on hand. In other words, no one wants to play in the sandbox if a big bully is throwing a hissy fit, screaming taunts, making threats and kicking sand everywhere, and some democrats are confused as to why.

Old 04-08-2010, 08:46 AM

38,647 posts, read 26,363,905 times
Quote:
Just keeping you honest on that 5% thingey you've got going.

Yes, yes, yes, it did rise, but under who's watch, pray tell, considering the circumstances, would it not have risen? Do you really think McCain would have had us completely out of this mess by now? Get real, and for pete's sake go out and getcherself a little honesty and perspective.

Honesty and perspective?

OK, our kids owe a trillion borrowed dollars that went to reward political supporters and chum the corporate donor waters.

What happened to 8%?

If the "stimulus" was to control unemployment, why did so little of it come to SE Michigan where the unemployment rate is 15.6%?

Another honest question to ask is how did we get here?

NAFTA
GLBA
CFMA
CRA

They all played a roll in the sub-prime crisis.

Outcome based compliance standards for the CRA led to NINJA and ARM mortgages by banks that might have otherwise stayed out of the subprime mortgage market meltdown.

"Now, on the lending test what we do is we have -- I would call it more a screen than a test. There was a presumption that you've passed it where you made it, basically, a two-part test. And the test is, one, are you serving low and moderate income geographies. In the same way, you have the same market share that you do in your service area generally. In other words, basically are you red-line or discriminating against low income geographies --you'd say no; in other words, that's what the screen is about.
And number two, are your loans either disbursed throughout the low and moderate income geographies, or are there a significant number that are targeted in certain areas, because that really reflects what one sees in the banking industry generally. Some institutions, in lending into low and moderate income areas, lend out of their branches and they lend broadly, the way they lend over their general service area. Other institutions have taken to targeting areas in partnership with churches sometimes, in partnerships with community groups to target one segment of that area. We're not going to disadvantage either one.

http://clinton6.nara.gov/1993/12/1993-12-08-briefing-by-bentsen-and-rubin.text.html

"Trade with China will not only extend our nation's unprecedented economic growth, it offers us a chance to help shape the future of the world's most prosperous nation and to reaffirm our own global leadership for peace and prosperity."

Clinton signs China trade bill, - October 10, 2000

Old 04-08-2010, 08:57 AM

20,454 posts, read 12,373,731 times
I do like a good Obama bash as much as the next republican and this one is as good as any...

but let’s expand the bashing.

Take a look at the States with the best economies and the worst. What you find is those states in the worst shape have strong democrat control of the state governments and the states in the best shape have strong Republican control of the state governments.

That doesn’t mean things are great. In fact things stink. They stink because Obama has been fiddling with healthcare while the country’s economy has been burning. It is nice to know that I live in a republican controlled state and thus Obama’s fiddling has had less negative effect.

Old 04-08-2010, 08:57 AM

4,145 posts, read 10,423,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
Good lord, we've lost 3 million + jobs on obama's watch and you think 162,000 (48,000 temporary) is a "strong" showing?
Oh, but they've "saved" so many!!

Just think, without Obama, we'd be at 90% unemployed. All hail President O.

Old 04-08-2010, 09:00 AM

3,219 posts, read 6,579,439 times
Quote:
This is where they are: http://pages.prodigy.net/rogerlori1/emoticons/toliot3.gif (broken link) and what the government is trying to do to the unemployed.

Old 04-08-2010, 09:03 AM

37,959 posts, read 22,134,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevcrawford View Post
Oh, but they've "saved" so many!!

Just think, without Obama, we'd be at 90% unemployed. All hail President O.
I agree, its like the old joke about a scam artist selling elephant repellent: 0bama: "Have you seen any elephants? See, that means it's working!"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies