Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2010, 05:31 PM

6,902 posts, read 7,537,277 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
This is not doom and gloom, just the facts and truth. You don't want it sugar-coated, do you?

I'm not asking for sugar coating, the same as i'm not asking for a cheering crowd for job loss.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2010, 05:32 PM

41,325 posts, read 44,940,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackandproud View Post
I'm not asking for sugar coating, the same as i'm not asking for a cheering crowd for job loss.
Who's cheering?

You mean just posting the news of the day is upsetting to you?

Maybe you should complain to Yahoo/Finance then, since they had the audacity to inform the public of these new figures.

Old 04-08-2010, 05:44 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,472,986 times
Quote:
I saw only one poster mention cheering and he was accusing the right wingers of cheering job losses.

I did not see any of the other posts taking this as "good" news.

The sugar coating and cherry picking from the MSM has to stop.
Aren't you sick and tired of seeing "unexpected" every other week ?

There is a prolonged, deep problem in America with employment and lack of.
Many jobs have moved overseas permanently. How do you even talk of a recovery, especially one that is 70% or more dependent on taxpayers spending money, if they don't have jobs or have marginal jobs paying way under what they use to make ?

The MSM is doing a disservice to Americans IMO and have been for over 1 year now with "green shoots" that have just not materialized...over 1 year.

Old 04-08-2010, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Who's cheering?

You mean just posting the news of the day is upsetting to you?

Maybe you should complain to Yahoo/Finance then, since they had the audacity to inform the public of these new figures.

Who said anything about upsetting? Your clairvoyant meter is up again. Its concerning that the jobless numbers are still high.

I've noticed when the job numbers are reported and it show's folks are back to work threads and posts are popping up indicating negating the fact that these people are no longer unemployed.. When unemployment numbers are reported, its the gotcha mentality, nothing is being done.

Yes too many people are out of work, its bad, but there should also be a sigh of relief whenever those who have been out of work are now employed.

Old 04-08-2010, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
I saw only one poster mention cheering and he was accusing the right wingers of cheering job losses.

I did not see any of the other posts taking this as "good" news.

The sugar coating and cherry picking from the MSM has to stop.
Aren't you sick and tired of seeing "unexpected" every other week ?

There is a prolonged, deep problem in America with employment and lack of.
Many jobs have moved overseas permanently. How do you even talk of a recovery, especially one that is 70% or more dependent on taxpayers spending money, if they don't have jobs or have marginal jobs paying way under what they use to make ?

The MSM is doing a disservice to Americans IMO and have been for over 1 year now with "green shoots" that have just not materialized...over 1 year.

I haven't noticed any cherry picking. What I have notice is the back and forth rhetoric. "The job numbers of unexpectantly gone down", the unemployment numbers have unexpectantly gone up". Stop with the up and down and focus/report on those companies that continue to send their jobs overseas while U.S citizens are unemployed and struggling. Shine the light on those companies and Idiots in Washington that continue to allow this to occur.

Old 04-08-2010, 06:01 PM

Quote:
I haven't noticed any cherry picking. What I have notice is the back and forth rhetoric. "The job numbers of unexpectantly gone down", the unemployment numbers have unexpectantly gone up". Stop with the up and down and focus/report on those companies that continue to send their jobs overseas while U.S citizens are unemployed and struggling. Shine the light on those companies and Idiots in Washington that continue to allow this to occur.
If you compare the MSM reports to the BLS/DOL data then you will see the cherry picking.

I wish that were easy to do but those companies pay big bucks to get what they want in DC.

There is a worsening trend forming though..one that doesn't involve companies..municpalities are laying off and cutting back..stimulus money cushioned their budgets for a while and the money is depleted. School districts being hit hard.

Daily Job Cuts - Layoff News , Job Layoffs 2010 / 2009 , Bankruptcy, Store closings and other Business Economy News

Old 04-08-2010, 06:05 PM

41,325 posts, read 44,940,832 times
Quote:
If you compare the MSM reports to the BLS/DOL data then you will see the cherry picking.
Well, what do you expect? They're trying to help obama, not hurt him. So it's all hush-hush.

Old 04-08-2010, 06:08 PM

1,842 posts, read 1,708,106 times
Quote:
Why isn't the MSM reporting this fact ?

The American people deserve to know the FACTS, the DATA, not some cherry picking sugar coated article that makes it seem this is a temporary setback to a roaring recovery.

Give us the facts straight up and ALL of them. Let the people decide if there's green shoots or not.
I think it is called leading us out of a recovery. Ooops I meant recession. Literally if we all think it is over it will be. But we can see for our selves that it is not. To many foreclosures. To many layoffs. To much debt. Not enough pay. Not enough work to be done.

Last edited by newonecoming; 04-08-2010 at 06:11 PM.. Reason: fixing spelling

Old 04-08-2010, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Well, what do you expect? They're trying to help obama, not hurt him. So it's all hush-hush.
That's just it..it's not hush, hush..it's all right there in black and white.
And I've noticed that these MSM stories rarely put the source of the data or a link so people can go read ALL the info for themselves.

The BLS report is actually one of the better ones for us mere peons to read as it's plain English. It just takes a little effort to google BLS reports and read the info for yourself.

I'm just surprised that one year later so many are still hanging on to the "green shoots" theory. Even Bernake has stopped saying it.

Old 04-08-2010, 07:15 PM

59,029 posts, read 27,298,344 times
Didn't Obama say something about we have to vote for the stimulas package (800 billion dollars) now and we will not exceed 8.2% (?) unemployment. How's that working?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies