Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2010, 11:37 AM

41,325 posts, read 44,926,642 times

Advertisements

There's that word again. These economists need to find a different career - they are always surprised by the "unexpected" numbers. This is not good news.

Initial jobless claims increase unexpectedly - Yahoo! Finance (http://finance.yahoo.com/news/Initial-jobless-claims-apf-355511092.html?x=0&.v=7 - broken link)

Quote:
WASHINGTON (AP) -- The number of newly laid-off workers seeking unemployment benefits rose last week, a sign that jobs remain scarce even as the economy recovers.

The Labor Department said Thursday that first-time claims increased by 18,000 in the week ended April 3, to a seasonally adjusted 460,000. That's worse than economists' estimates of a drop to 435,000, according to a survey by Thomson Reuters.
Is the "corner turning", "V-shaped economy" and "even better good new" some have touted?

Jobs are THE key to a recovery and so far, we just don't see it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2010, 12:58 PM

4,459 posts, read 4,207,098 times
Not all gloom and doom as would be expected coming from you...

read: Jobless Claims in U.S. Increased Heading Into Easter (Update3) - Bloomberg.com

Old 04-08-2010, 03:18 PM

1,842 posts, read 1,707,510 times
I think that the "Recovery" is overblown. We run the economy on debt and the level of debt (with the exception of the fed) is dropping. This means a contracting economy. (with the exception that the government is spending money like there is no tomorrow.) Now if we all believe that the economy is growing it will. But who are you kidding. The economy is shrinking. People are still getting laid off. The problem is we don't have enough money to spend. And so we are not spending money. And so everyone is getting laid off. And so everyone doesn't have enough money to spend. The last time we were in this downward spiral it was 1930.

Old 04-08-2010, 03:41 PM

19,893 posts, read 18,435,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefly View Post
News of more people out of work always makes Sanrene's day a little bit brighter. The Bible teaches us how to deal with pride, but it is not easy.
Too bad the 8 people i knew of who lost their jobs last week from one Company, many of them loyal longtime employees, were all let go, think they have any pride left. It is very and honestly true, that so many are still losing jobs when will the trend just end I don't see Obama doing anything to getting the job situation going.

Old 04-08-2010, 03:54 PM

24,385 posts, read 23,041,608 times
125 losing their jobs in my town as reported today. Tied in with the struggling auto industry but also jobs going overseas.

Old 04-08-2010, 03:56 PM

10,029 posts, read 8,341,856 times
Haven't these guys heard? Obama just signed a jobs bill. Between that and the Porkulus Package it shan't be long before happy days are here again.

Old 04-08-2010, 04:08 PM

11,155 posts, read 15,699,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by california-jewel View Post
Too bad the 8 people i knew of who lost their jobs last week from one Company, many of them loyal longtime employees, were all let go, think they have any pride left. It is very and honestly true, that so many are still losing jobs when will the trend just end I don't see Obama doing anything to getting the job situation going.
I was talking about Sanrene's pride in taking joy in the struggles of our country in recovering from the economic collapse.

Obama and Bush both did a lot to protect and create jobs - saving the auto industry and banks alone saved millions by most estimates. The stimulus is estimated to have saved between 1 and 2 million, depending on how it's calculated.

Government can only do so much. Best to those who lost their jobs. I hope things turn around for them soon.

Old 04-08-2010, 04:13 PM

1,038 posts, read 1,225,065 times
Economy is in the toilet and will continue to be there for awhile. It sucks. Is the Obama administration sugarcoating this fact, you betcha. Are some right wingers celebrating job losses. you betcha.

Old 04-08-2010, 04:13 PM

6,902 posts, read 7,534,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by california-jewel View Post

I know of a couple of people who have been called back to their jobs after being layed off for almost 6 months. This was definately good news no matter what gloom and doom the OP continues to put out there. Things are picking up in some area's of the country, but very slow or at all in others.

Old 04-08-2010, 04:17 PM

3,875 posts, read 3,869,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefly View Post
I was talking about Sanrene's pride in taking joy in the struggles of our country in recovering from the economic collapse.

Obama and Bush both did a lot to protect and create jobs - saving the auto industry and banks alone saved millions by most estimates. The stimulus is estimated to have saved between 1 and 2 million, depending on how it's calculated.

Government can only do so much. Best to those who lost their jobs. I hope things turn around for them soon.
If they can only do so much,then OBAMA had no business promising people Unemployment would not go past 8%..Obama is trying to kill wages and vastly increase unemployment with his Amnesty BS.He simply cannot have it both ways.Where is his imaginary saved jobs data?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies