Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2010, 07:26 PM

4,877 posts, read 4,497,684 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by skoro View Post
Illegals serve as a subminimum wage labor pool for US companies, some who love to hire these people for a number of reasons:

1. lower wages
2. no fringe benefits
3. no reporting unsafe conditions or abuse to government agencies

And by law, the employers ARE required to confirm that they are in the country legally, although this is very seldom enforced even in the face of public outcry over the increasing illegal immigrant problem.

My hunch is that there's some reason the feds aren't doing much about it. My hunch is it has something to do with corporate welfare. My hunch is that about three years ago, when the Bush Justice Dept jailed two Border Patrol agents for shooting and wounding an illegal who was smuggling drugs into Texas, he was sending the BP a message: "hands off, boys"

Border Patrol agents<br> sentenced to prison

Oh, BTW...

Right before he left office, Bush commuted the sentences of both agents. He didn't grant them pardons, though. They remain convicted felons, officially.

If you have a better take, I'm willing to listen. I think the illegal immigrant situation is rotten with corruption. Corruption that hurts the American worker.
Nope. I agree with you. And I followed the BP case closely. That was criminal on the part of the government. If I remember right the guy they shot was never charged with anything even though he was here illegally. And if I were a BP agent I'd probably be looking for another job after that.

I worked at a company that had quite a few illegals working there. They were paid the same and got all benefits as anyone else. They all left town one day because the feds came to round them up. I asked the HR lady about it after the dust settled. She told me if she wanted to enforce immigration laws she would've become an immigration officer. They filled out the paperwork and provided documents that said they were legal.

I think I would do the same thing. And I think that is the attitude of most companies. Don't ask, don't tell.

I know there are many illegals that are taken advantage of. And it is corporations and government together that allows it. But I don't feel bad for the illegals. They know the risks when they come. I'm just talking about pay here. Not some of the prostitution and sex stuff that happens. I feel bad for those people.

P.S. I heard one of those BP agents being interviewed after he was released. Sounded like he was doing well. All things considered. Hopefully they get a pardon some day. And some pay for the time they spent in jail.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2010, 07:26 PM

37,950 posts, read 22,031,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevemorse View Post
creating an underclass. By doing handing out certain things to people he is giving the poor enough they need to be comfortable. For example if they create another tier for UE, this is stopping people from looking for work. They are waiting in limbo for the govt. Thats just one example.

Here is MY QUESTION, WHY would he want to create an underclass????? I dont understand why someone would want to do this? Thanks! ANd this post is not about RUSH bashing, because I mostly agree with RUSH, but on this point I dont understand why the government would want to do this???
Politicians want people to need them, they need people to be dependent upon them so they can pontificate about who important they are in the upcoming election. If you do not really need them instead of the other guy, because the other guy wants to take away your grandpa's social security, or wants to raise your taxes, or blah, blah blah.

So, creating more people who look to government for handouts and goodies, means more people who feel they need politicians/government to keep those goodies coming, and if they vote the other guy, their goodies spigot might get turned off. If people feel they are independent, and do not bother looking to government to always be there giving them stuff, then the politicians cannot lord their power over you.

Old 04-08-2010, 07:32 PM

20,268 posts, read 37,012,876 times
Quote:
Illegals serve as a subminimum wage labor pool for US companies, some who love to hire these people for a number of reasons:

1. lower wages
2. no fringe benefits
3. no reporting unsafe conditions or abuse to government agencies

And by law, the employers ARE required to confirm that they are in the country legally, although this is very seldom enforced even in the face of public outcry over the increasing illegal immigrant problem.

My hunch is that there's some reason the feds aren't doing much about it. My hunch is it has something to do with corporate welfare. My hunch is that about three years ago, when the Bush Justice Dept jailed two Border Patrol agents for shooting and wounding an illegal who was smuggling drugs into Texas, he was sending the BP a message: "hands off, boys"

Border Patrol agents<br> sentenced to prison

Oh, BTW...

Right before he left office, Bush commuted the sentences of both agents. He didn't grant them pardons, though. They remain convicted felons, officially.

If you have a better take, I'm willing to listen. I think the illegal immigrant situation is rotten with corruption. Corruption that hurts the American worker.
Well, it's not only the very rich and companies hiring illegal immigrants. Just look at the housekeepers, nannies, groundkeepers, pool boys and girls being employed by some of us (not so rich), our neighbors, and so forth in CA, Texas, etc. Even government officials have been accused of hiring illegal immigrants.

I do agree with you about the border agents being punished for doing their job well, and also about all the corruption taking place in all sectors of our society. In my view a lot of Americans already know that some changes in government must be made, and this will probably happen in the upcoming elections. According to some recent polls, must voters believe that all incumbents, regardless of political affiliation, should be voted out of office, and I agree with that idea.

Old 04-08-2010, 07:54 PM

88,726 posts, read 44,522,703 times
Quote:
Explain, please...
This:
Quote:
What a farce!

The "underclass" is illegal migrants.
If no one else is part of the underclass, then those not of the underclass do not need to be receiving unearned freebie entitlements. That will save the government A LOT of money.

Old 04-08-2010, 07:58 PM

88,726 posts, read 44,522,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
Obvious-

...The dems are the enemy of prosperity, as upper class and well to do middle class citizens no longer need the "treats" that they offer in exchange for votes. It is definitely in the interest of the democrats to have a large portion of the population poor. Thus the policies of the democrats, which are designed to create a permanent slave class of citizens.
Exactly! And it IS obvious. Why are so many people blind to it?

Old 04-08-2010, 08:15 PM

904 posts, read 2,867,222 times
Because Rush Limbaugh is a fool. There's a legitimate argument to be made against Obama's economic and fiscal policies. You will not hear it from Rush Limbaugh.

Old 04-08-2010, 10:03 PM

13,053 posts, read 12,924,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevemorse View Post
you are very very good at explaining things. I understand. Its hard to swallow and accept that a GROUP of people want to do this power /control thing I mean I could understand one wanting it but even sadder when we have alot of them!! What can we do about it???

Also, I am going to do a search and read your posts to people here, I think your very smart! I like you. I would like to read your other ideas I am going to read your posts.

Keep in mind that I am not stating that this is their intentions. Intentions have a funny way of ending up in places we do not expect them. What I "believe" is that they intend to actually do well, that they think that their direction is "best" for the people. Yet, as I said, the roads of history have been paved with the blood of good intentions.

I am not trying to get you to turn a sudden direction, merely to be aware of the direction you may be heading and to look at the evidence and assess it consistently. If all people in our nation did as such, and honestly, the government would not be as corrupt as it has become in many areas.

Old 04-08-2010, 10:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shorebaby View Post
It is about power. If the underclass is dependent on you they are not about to cut off the hand that feeds them.
Yep, a Leader is powerless without those to lead. Control is at the heart of every position of power of influence and near to the heart of every individual.

That is, do we not think our opinions are the best choice? It is such that has rallied like opinions to the devastation and oppression of minority opinion.

Old 04-08-2010, 10:09 PM

2,058 posts, read 3,297,966 times
do you agree with him when he said drug addicts should be wiped of the face of the planet when he himself is addicted to prescription pills?

jw

Old 04-08-2010, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatsong64 View Post
do you agree with him when he said drug addicts should be wiped of the face of the planet when he himself is addicted to prescription pills?

jw
I am not claiming you are wrong of his mention, but do you have a link to the transcripts that place this mention in context? I mean no offense, but I have seen a lot of claims made about people which turned out to be clever selections of text to proclaim a point. This has been done on all sides of the fence.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies