Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2010, 07:23 PM

30,902 posts, read 32,995,285 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioIstheBest View Post
Of course not. You wouldn't expect a leftie to think before they speak would you?

It's funny, neocons could care less about social policy. The goal of neocons is nation building overseas. A policy of the left. But the left still hates them.
How the hell could this possibly contribute to OP? How exactly did this help answer the question? At all?

We have some seriously bitter people on here. It's not hard to tell who's unloved and/or unlistened to...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2010, 07:25 PM

As far as feeling pain: Since the issue is 20 weeks post-conception/post-fertilization, that is, in medical terms, a 22-week fetus (22 weeks pregnant; 22-week pregnancy; 22 weeks LMP).

I hope the idiots who pulled this thing together realize that because it will be just one more monkeywrench for them...

As far as fetal pain: That I don't know. I do know that 88% of abortions in the U.S. are done during the first trimester. That's the overwhelming majority. A portion of those done later than that are for medical reasons. That leaves a fairly small margin they're "targeting" here so, interestingly, this wouldn't change much for a lot of people anyway. Though of course that's not the point. ETA: Aaaaaaaaaanyway...of that 12%, a percentage of those obviously happen before the 20th week anyway (certainly before the 22nd) since the end of the first trimester is between 12 and 14 weeks LMP depending upon whom you're talking to in the medical community. That leaves two months (8 weeks) in which obviously a percentage of abortions are being performed, making the amount of those performed at 20 weeks or later smaller yet.

Don't know if it'll pass; doubt it. The vast majority of women who have abortions, do so well before this assumed pain threshold. That's assuming that hormonal reactions mean the "experience" of pain as we (fully developed) feel it. But I'm sure that would be a different study altogether.

I'm pretty sure this is less about anyone crying for the babies, than it is about having a "breakthrough" that would allow for narrower and narrower definitions of what's "allowable" as far as abortion goes. That's the single reason I do think it would have importance...but again...it's not going to pass. I just can't see it. It would change things too much beyond its own scope and nobody in this nation is stupid enough not to see THAT one coming.

Last edited by JerZ; 04-08-2010 at 07:34 PM..

Old 04-08-2010, 07:29 PM

4,877 posts, read 4,506,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerZ View Post
How the hell could this possibly contribute to OP? How exactly did this help answer the question? At all?

We have some seriously bitter people on here. It's not hard to tell who's unloved and/or unlistened to...
It doesn't have anything to do with the OP. If you look closer you can see what it referred to.

And sorry 'bout you're luck, I'm not bitter. Nor unloved. Nor unlistened to.

But what does that have to do with the OP?

Old 04-08-2010, 07:32 PM

30,063 posts, read 18,660,332 times
Quote:
As far as feeling pain: Since the issue is 20 weeks post-conception/post-fertilization, that is, in medical terms, a 22-week fetus (22 weeks pregnant; 22-week pregnancy; 22 weeks LMP).

I hope the idiots who pulled this thing together realize that because it will be just one more monkeywrench for them...

As far as fetal pain: That I don't know. I do know that 88% of abortions in the U.S. are done during the first trimester. That's the overwhelming majority. A portion of those done later than that are for medical reasons. That leaves a fairly small margin they're "targeting" here so, interestingly, this wouldn't change much for a lot of people anyway. Though of course that's not the point.

Don't know if it'll pass; doubt it. The vast majority of women who have abortions, do so well before this assumed pain threshold. That's assuming that hormonal reactions mean the "experience" of pain as we (fully developed) feel it. But I'm sure that would be a different study altogether.

I'm pretty sure this is less about anyone crying for the babies, than it is about having a "breakthrough" that would allow for narrower and narrower definitions of what's "allowable" as far as abortion goes. That's the single reason I do think it would have importance...but again...it's not going to pass. I just can't see it. It would change things too much beyond its own scope and nobody in this nation is stupid enough not to see THAT one coming.
I do know. I helped with the testimony. It refers to late term abortions and the data is rock solid. A late term abortion, from a physiological pain pathway standpoint, would be the equivilent of drawing and quartering an adult. Now you are not advocating the drawing and quartering of adults, are you? If so, your views are perfectly consistent with the support of late term abortions and you should be an advocate for both that procedure, and adult torture.

Last edited by CaseyB; 04-08-2010 at 07:58 PM.. Reason: off topic

Old 04-08-2010, 07:35 PM

12,980 posts, read 14,560,662 times
Sunny Anand, the physician referenced in the link, claims to have proof that fetal pain is experienced at 20 weeks. This has not been published, or verified to date, good luck finding any data. The general consensus among the scientific community is that based on anatomical and physiological development of the nerve fibers in the fetus, pain is more likely experienced between 26 and 30 weeks. This is not to be confused with withdrawl reflexes, which are not driven by pain response. Erring on the side of caution the medical community makes the assumption that fetal pain can be presumed after 20 weeks gestation. This is not the same as saying that is when it is present.

JAMA -- Abstract: Fetal Pain: A Systematic Multidisciplinary Review of the Evidence, August 24/31, 2005, Lee et al. 294 (8): 947

The data is definitely anything but rock solid.

Old 04-08-2010, 07:36 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,040,586 times
Should be interesting, no pain for fetuses, but pain doesn't matter when it comes to executing juveniles.

What a wonderful world.

Old 04-08-2010, 07:42 PM

Okay, a graph on weeks gestation, and the percentages of abortions...at 21 weeks or later, it's 1%.

Not exactly a huge rescue mission here. It's a stunt and is aimed at narrowing abortion laws somehow. I don't see a whole lot of loving humanity in this attempt.

Here is where the pie chart came from.

Old 04-08-2010, 07:43 PM

Quote:

Not exactly a huge rescue mission here.

Unless you are the one being rescued.

Old 04-08-2010, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
A late term abortion, from a physiological pain pathway standpoint, would be the equivilent of drawing and quartering an adult.
What type of procedure are you referring to here? And can I have a link as to evidence of that claim?

And yet again...this is NOT exactly a huge rescue mission. It's a stunt, and the perpetrators should be ashamed of their hypocrisy. Yes, all of them.

Old 04-08-2010, 07:46 PM

Quote:

And yet again...this is NOT exactly a huge rescue mission. It's a stunt, and the perpetrators should be ashamed of their hypocrisy. Yes, all of them.
Same could be said of the recent health "care" bill that passed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies