Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2010, 07:34 PM

4,877 posts, read 4,507,214 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by domergurl View Post
and what president was it that wanted to declare that ketchup and pickled relish be reclassified as a vegetable so public schools could cut out a vegetable in their food service plans? Was that the brainchild of the left wing?

Don't know and don't care. It didn't happen so what's the difference?

I can't see a reason in the world why schools provide lunch anyway. Kids should bring their own lunch to school.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2010, 07:39 PM

4,877 posts, read 4,507,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ray1945 View Post

1. that 50% of a teacher's salary be based on student learning gains on the FCAT or on tests that do not exist, requiring that already financially strapped school districts-
2. put aside 5% of their operating budgets to create district wide tests for subjects not tested on Florida's FCAT - estimated cost right now is $900 million.
3. that new teachers will forever be on annual contract.
4. that teachers will no longer be compensated for advanced degrees, national board certification, or years of service.
5. that principals must certify that a teacher's students have demonstrated learning gains for 4 out of 5 years (in addition to the existing requirement of 6 college credits) before a teacher's certificate will be renewed (Florida teachers must re-certify every 5 years)
Teachers should be on an annual contract. Then schools can get rid of the bad ones.

And they should be compensated for advanced degrees.

The rest? Don't know. Doesn't sound exactly right but teachers should be held accountable if the students aren't learning. Seems that the principle should be the ones to have the most say in that. Then again, I have met some lousy principals.

Old 04-08-2010, 07:52 PM

3,331 posts, read 5,956,158 times
The Federal government shouldn't even be involved in this. These are State matters at most; local matters at best. I love what Mike Church calls that legislation: "No Child Gets an Education".

All that being said, teachers have a daunting task. Large class sizes, too many administrators who are busy padding their own pockets,teachers hands being tied when it comes to how they are able to control the kids and more sadly for everyone, too many parents who seem to think it is the teachers' sole job to educate the kids and remain uninvolved. I couldn't' be a K-12 teacher.

Old 04-08-2010, 08:35 PM

527 posts, read 467,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerbacon View Post
Teacher's salaries MUST be tied to performance, just like every other job in the world. I think we can all agree on that much at least. The only real issue is how best to MEASURE that performance. Obviously the proposal has some flaws. Most notably I think all the teachers will be fighting over the honors students if test scores are individual based and fighting over the good schools if test scores are school based.
It is a good start to break up the communistic style pay system and welcome teachers to the world the rest of us inhabit. Once they are there then we can work on how to better measure performance.
I see it differently, compare teachers to policemen-if an area's crime stats are high should the cops be paid less because they obviously aren't doing their jobs well? No, it is a cultural problem- or societial problem. Its the same for teachers in my opinion, they are put into schools where the kids, their parents, and the family are the main problems not the teachers lack of doing their jobs-
If we want to go after a sector of jobs where the pay needs to reflect performance, I suggest that civil servants be looked at- lets compare the pay scale to performance in that area

Old 04-09-2010, 03:02 PM

2,538 posts, read 3,876,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerbacon View Post
Teacher's salaries MUST be tied to performance, just like every other job in the world. I think we can all agree on that much at least. The only real issue is how best to MEASURE that performance. Obviously the proposal has some flaws. Most notably I think all the teachers will be fighting over the honors students if test scores are individual based and fighting over the good schools if test scores are school based.
It is a good start to break up the communistic style pay system and welcome teachers to the world the rest of us inhabit. Once they are there then we can work on how to better measure performance.
Typical republican. Actually, "we" cannot agree on anything you wrote. Teachers being payed based on how well kids do on a bs test, nice. Good luck finding teachers for the inner city schools.

Old 04-09-2010, 03:19 PM

15,446 posts, read 21,352,256 times
I too believe teaching salaries should be tied to performance. I can't think of any job in America, short of some politicians, that is not tied to performance.

Although I still consider teaching a very honorable profession, this discussion now reminds me why I ran as hard and fast from teaching thirty years ago.

Old 04-09-2010, 04:36 PM

1,650 posts, read 3,864,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fullback32 View Post
The Federal government shouldn't even be involved in this. These are State matters at most; local matters at best. I love what Mike Church calls that legislation: "No Child Gets an Education".

All that being said, teachers have a daunting task. Large class sizes, too many administrators who are busy padding their own pockets,teachers hands being tied when it comes to how they are able to control the kids and more sadly for everyone, too many parents who seem to think it is the teachers' sole job to educate the kids and remain uninvolved. I couldn't' be a K-12 teacher.
That's right. I tried repping you for this but couldn't. I think the Federal government needs to stay out of public education. NCLB made things worse and not better. Obama's public education reform doesn't sound any better. I say let the states pass their own reforms.

Old 04-09-2010, 06:49 PM

391 posts, read 513,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by specialrequest View Post
I see it differently, compare teachers to policemen-if an area's crime stats are high should the cops be paid less because they obviously aren't doing their jobs well? No, it is a cultural problem- or societial problem. Its the same for teachers in my opinion, they are put into schools where the kids, their parents, and the family are the main problems not the teachers lack of doing their jobs-
If we want to go after a sector of jobs where the pay needs to reflect performance, I suggest that civil servants be looked at- lets compare the pay scale to performance in that area
Good analogy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by High_Plains_Retired View Post
I too believe teaching salaries should be tied to performance. I can't think of any job in America, short of some politicians, that is not tied to performance.

Although I still consider teaching a very honorable profession, this discussion now reminds me why I ran as hard and fast from teaching thirty years ago.
Performance of who? The child I have in class who on hearing about the legislation in Florida remarked "Cool, so if we want to screw over a teacher, we just fail the test!"? The performance of the girl who is four months pregnant and has finally gotten over her morning sickness? The autistic kids who are not responsive? The kids who vomit from the pressures of a test that can retain them for another year? I could go on and on... Pay based performance - just like everyone else?... great pay my performance like all the CEO's of the companies and banks that the government has bailed out!!!!!!

Old 04-09-2010, 06:51 PM

391 posts, read 513,570 times
Wait I just re-read that. I actually do my job (and do it well), unlike all those CEO's. I guess I'd have to screw up to make that kind of bonus.

Old 04-09-2010, 07:05 PM

3,644 posts, read 6,304,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyegirl View Post
Typical republican. Actually, "we" cannot agree on anything you wrote. Teachers being payed based on how well kids do on a bs test, nice. Good luck finding teachers for the inner city schools.
You don't think teachers' pay should be tied to performance? Everyone else in the country has to perform in order to keep from getting fired. Why are teachers a special elitist class? There are other reforms that could help inner city schools but first you have to get teachers motivated to actually do their jobs. For some of them the only motivation is money. By the way, I taught for one year in an inner city school (that's about the only thing you can do when you graduate with a psy degree in a down economy). If teacher's pay is tied to the RELATIVE increase or decrease in their students' perofrmance then those inner city teachers could make out like bandits with a little work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluebelt1234 View Post
That's right. I tried repping you for this but couldn't. I think the Federal government needs to stay out of public education.
Of course they need to stay out of it. The 10th ammendment is very clear that teh federal government has not right to any say in the matter of education. However if a federalist tried to abolish the department of education all the libs and Democrats would butcher him in the media so no one will ever do that -- constitution be damned.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies