Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2010, 05:13 PM

2,538 posts, read 3,876,874 times

Advertisements

I hope there isn't already a thread about this...

Everytime they get involved in "improving" our public education system, they only make it worse, No Child Left Behind comes to mind. Has anyone been following this Florida Teacher "Tenure Bill"? Talk about screwing our teachers, I am just in a fit about this. Allowing kids' test scores to determine a teachers' salary, for real? What about the teachers who work in the inner city schools whose students come from broken, abusive homes. How well do those kids really do in school without any family support, and now a teacher has to pay for that? What is with these Republicans???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2010, 06:55 PM

4,877 posts, read 4,507,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyegirl View Post

Everytime they get involved in "improving" our public education system, they only make it worse, No Child Left Behind comes to mind. Has anyone been following this Florida Teacher "Tenure Bill"? Talk about screwing our teachers, I am just in a fit about this. Allowing kids' test scores to determine a teachers' salary, for real? What about the teachers who work in the inner city schools whose students come from broken, abusive homes. How well do those kids really do in school without any family support, and now a teacher has to pay for that? What is with these Republicans???
NCLB was the brainchild of the left. It just happened to be a republican president that signed it into law.

And it is kinda silly not to expect teachers to teach. The inner city schools in this country were fine until busing took over(another leftist policy) And plenty of those kids had problems at home then.

And there are plenty of suburban kids that come from abusive, broken homes. And those schools aren't as bad.

Old 04-08-2010, 07:01 PM

59,040 posts, read 27,306,837 times
You must be a teacher.

Old 04-08-2010, 07:01 PM

12,980 posts, read 14,563,875 times
No Child Left Behind was a bipartisan piece of junk.

No Child Left Behind Act - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 04-08-2010, 07:04 PM

17,764 posts, read 39,731,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioIstheBest View Post
NCLB was the brainchild of the left. It just happened to be a republican president that signed it into law.

And it is kinda silly not to expect teachers to teach. The inner city schools in this country were fine until busing took over(another leftist policy) And plenty of those kids had problems at home then.

And there are plenty of suburban kids that come from abusive, broken homes. And those schools aren't as bad.
and what president was it that wanted to declare that ketchup and pickled relish be reclassified as a vegetable so public schools could cut out a vegetable in their food service plans? Was that the brainchild of the left wing?

Old 04-08-2010, 07:23 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,856,573 times
Welol techers need to be acountable just like any other profession. With teh results they are showing something needs to be done and alot of teachers fired form some of them I have talked to.Thneture rules over qauilty is the main probelm.

Old 04-08-2010, 07:27 PM

3,644 posts, read 6,305,063 times
Teacher's salaries MUST be tied to performance, just like every other job in the world. I think we can all agree on that much at least. The only real issue is how best to MEASURE that performance. Obviously the proposal has some flaws. Most notably I think all the teachers will be fighting over the honors students if test scores are individual based and fighting over the good schools if test scores are school based.
It is a good start to break up the communistic style pay system and welcome teachers to the world the rest of us inhabit. Once they are there then we can work on how to better measure performance.

Old 04-08-2010, 07:30 PM

1,089 posts, read 655,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioIstheBest View Post
The "Texas Miracle" was Bush's claim to fame in the 2000 election. Bush was at a photo-op on 9/11 reading to elementary kids in Florida to pushing NCLB.

I seriously doubt that "the left" meant for it to be an unfunded mandate and vehicle to push for vouchers.

Old 04-08-2010, 07:32 PM

4,877 posts, read 4,507,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbrauer View Post
The "Texas Miracle" was Bush's claim to fame in the 2000 election. Bush was at a photo-op on 9/11 reading to elementary kids in Florida to pushing NCLB.

I seriously doubt that "the left" meant for it to be an unfunded mandate and vehicle to push for vouchers.
Ted Kennedy wrote the thing.

Old 04-08-2010, 07:33 PM

6,993 posts, read 6,338,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyegirl View Post

My husband, my two children and I are all FL teachers. The proposed legislation mandates

1. that 50% of a teacher's salary be based on student learning gains on the FCAT or on tests that do not exist, requiring that already financially strapped school districts-
2. put aside 5% of their operating budgets to create district wide tests for subjects not tested on Florida's FCAT - estimated cost right now is $900 million.
3. that new teachers will forever be on annual contract.
4. that teachers will no longer be compensated for advanced degrees, national board certification, or years of service.
5. that principals must certify that a teacher's students have demonstrated learning gains for 4 out of 5 years (in addition to the existing requirement of 6 college credits) before a teacher's certificate will be renewed (Florida teachers must re-certify every 5 years)

The Republican led Senate pushed this bill through in record time. The House is still debating the issue, but it's almost certain that it will pass.

Teachers, parents, students and concerned citizens have flooded legislators with phone calls and emails, urging them to "Stop SB6 and HB7189. Gov. Crist's office has also been inundated with requests for him to veto the legislation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies