Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2010, 09:14 AM

533 posts, read 317,145 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferd View Post
Maybe Bennidict Bart should move to England too?
maybe some people should get a life and stop living vicariously through people like Limbaugh, Hannity, Palin, etc...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

37,862 posts, read 21,936,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzpost View Post
Like most others, of both Dem and Repub stripes, he will become a lobbyist and make millions. Once you're in that club, you're set for life, unlike the rest of us stinking unwashed masses.
Just look at Tom Daschle or al Gore, they get out of politics and are suddenly making millions as influence peddlers.

8,733 posts, read 15,892,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapasha View Post
To understand what is going on in our government?

We see people voting against, or voicing very strong opposition to 0bama's agenda, and then they suddenly vote for it, and get out of politics and refuse to run for reelection. Maybe this seems normal to you, but not to me.
That is the goal of the Tea Party. Disrupt, discredit, scare, humiliate, find weaknesses , all in the name of pushing a misguided disjointed agenda...Truly a case of be careful what you wish for , they are playing with the minds of the less informed and those with short attention spans....but , that is another story , not this thread.

Old 04-09-2010, 09:15 AM

44,882 posts, read 33,167,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Upton View Post
Unlike you Republicans, Democrats don't take their orders from party leaders, talk show hosts, or Faux News.

Believe me, the progressive wing of the party is glad to see Stupak go...
Who do those people take their orders from? Somehow I bet Pelosi had Stupak on the carpet many more than one time.

It is that progressive wing that is killing the Democrat Party as the others come to realize what they are doing. Progressive is a nice way of saying far left and they deserve to be called progs.

Old 04-09-2010, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icy Tea View Post
I'd have liked to have seen the look on his face when his party bosses told him to vote for Obama care and then to drop out "or else". He may be gutless, but did he deserve to be thrown under the bus like that?
here you have stated a completely baseless allegation as a fact! do you have one shread of evidence to support YOUR OPINION/BELIEF that any "party bosses" told stupak anything? Lies. Just plain lies, repeated, possibly to continue to whip up the reactionaries, keep hate alive at all costs.

Any links to support your OPINION/BELIEF?

Old 04-09-2010, 09:18 AM

20,406 posts, read 12,306,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HummerLuvr View Post
maybe some people should get a life and stop living vicariously through people like Limbaugh, Hannity, Palin, etc...
maybe some other people should get a life and quite projecting.

Old 04-09-2010, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by darstar View Post
Coming from a remote, mostly sane District, Bart S. and Family has been overwhelmed with hate mail, midnight obscene phone calls, public harassment on the streets and towns across the Country. Personally he can handle it, as a former State Trooper , Bart has the knowledge and training to be defensive. His problems with the Bill stem from his deeply religious beliefs as a Roman catholic. The UP has a very high Catholic constituency. The other religion is mostly Lutheran, with a strong Northern European heritage. The UP has the largest grouping of Finnish descendants outside of Helsinki. Its an area that is rural , remote, and in need of a strong representative that knows and lives in the Upper Peninsula.
For so many years the disconnected part of Michigan , the land known as " the State of Superior", the place where Ohio traded the territory to Michigan for a little strip called Toledo. It was a win win for Michigan, first came the Logging of the huge White Pines and ceders, then the Copper boom ,then and now Iron ore. The UP holds untold wealth in minerals and natural beauty. Nickle is the big debate these days. A strategic metal, nickel is about to be mined in Marquette County...the only place in the US to hold such reserves.
The UP has a long history of everything going out, and the remains of the day were unemployment, poverty, dispare. Its time to take back the UP, and let it be represented by one of its own , who really gives a dam. That's not to say Bart did not , its just that he has become ineffective as a representative in Washington due to mostly outsiders who knew little of or cared little of...the Place Stupak represented.
Thanks for the info about the region Stupak represented. Now tell us did he represent those he was elected by or some other group when he took his bloc to the Yes group. Somehow it does seem that he got a lot of something from the House and Senate leadership for doing what he did. Changing that vote seems to me to be a slap in the face ti the Catholic Church.

Stupak is about to hold a news conference and some information may come out during it. I will be listening, I assure you.

Old 04-09-2010, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
Who do those people take their orders from? Somehow I bet Pelosi had Stupak on the carpet many more than one time.

It is that progressive wing that is killing the Democrat Party as the others come to realize what they are doing. Progressive is a nice way of saying far left and they deserve to be called progs.
You "bet" doesn't mean jack. the world does not exist solely in your imagination.......so you "bet" doesn't cut it. Do you have anything at all to support your imagaination as to what Pelosi did or did not do?

Nothing is killing the Democratic Party. however, there are a lot of mean, hateful, easily led, bored people out there whom, it appears, would love to see teh downfall of the country. hate and violence create more hate and violence. be careful what you wish for.

Old 04-09-2010, 09:22 AM

37,862 posts, read 21,936,847 times
Quote:
you conveniently leave out the context in which the stupak retirment exists. doesn't seem odd at all to me, considering the firey reactionary response of the extreme right wing, that a congressman would retire after receiving hate mail, threats, obscene phone calls, and was the focus of the right hate machine after the HC vote.
Stupak received worse from democrats, they made his life a "living hell" when he was holding on to his values and voting "no" to the HC bill. But then a partisan hack would ignore all that, and buy into the democrat spin.

This is not just about Stupak, their are a plethora of democrats who were bought, bribed, or whatever you want to call it, to suddenly change their vote to a "yes" and announced they are no longer going to run for reelection.

Something is going on, I've never seen such outright bribes, special interest exclusions, threats and perks being thrown around before. I'm only showing a sensible level of concern; I'm not the one drowning in Kool-aid.

Old 04-09-2010, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Do you think everybody, every single human being, is so motivated by money that they will do anything for it? I'm not a Stupak fan at all, however, enough is enough. this guy is retiring. he get getting out. gone, finished. what's the point of continuing the beating?
What is the point of the nation being saddled with the bad bill that the Health Insurance Reform bill ("law") when he could have caused it to be made into something reasonable that wouldn't have been aimed at a government takeover of healthcare. He could have been a hero and he chose to go along with Pelosi. I feel for him but he is getting about what he earned.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies