Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would armed forces of the US support Obama in a coup attempt?
yes, the armed forces would rally to the president 24 54.55%
yes, componants of the armed forces would aid the president 5 11.36%
none of the armed forces would support the president 7 15.91%
the balance of the armed forces would join against the president 8 18.18%
Voters: 44. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2010, 07:26 PM

4,399 posts, read 10,670,273 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lionking View Post
This seems to be a common theme popping up, "you are a civilian so you have no clue" "don't talk about war or Iraq unless you've been there".

Civilians are not all mindless sheep, and there is history to look at also. The civilians have a vested interest in America also, dare I say a certain amount of bravery also. And sometimes it is civilians who maintain liberty as well as any other component of America.
Of course you are allowed to have an opinion and every American Civilian clearly has a vested interest in this matter as you pay for the military and can get drafted. However some people's opinions are clearly going to be more informed than others.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2010, 07:41 PM

13,608 posts, read 21,392,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdm2008 View Post
some people's opinions are clearly going to be more informed than others.

On that I must confess something. At the start I was confused as to the meaning of coup, where I thought the discussion meant the higher command rallying or obeying to the side of the president to start martial law or suspend liberties. So I may have been misinformed in my thought process.

Now I do believe the debate is actually about would the military side with generals to over throw the president or those in office?

Help me make sure I have my facts straight on "coup" before I go on thanks.

Old 04-09-2010, 07:43 PM

5,407 posts, read 7,794,317 times
This is kind of ridiculous. Now we are being compared to a banana republic.

Give the military a little credit.

Old 04-09-2010, 07:48 PM

4,604 posts, read 8,231,205 times
Would armed forces of the US support Obama in a coup attempt?

You would probly need to put some definition on your coup attempt.

If Gen. Wesly Clark, Ret., were to pull some stunt, say with Hilary Clinton by his side, invoking a coup to remove Obama from office due to - oh, falsified birth certificate - you probly get a military in an uncontrollable laugh off. Would give new meaning to ROTFLMAO.

If Gen. Petrayus were to instigate a coup on the basis of some Constitutional abrogation by Obama, I suspect you'd get a large contingent of cooperation.

Old 04-09-2010, 07:48 PM

15,080 posts, read 20,472,256 times
I think a better poll would be "Would You Support the Overthrow of the Present Government?"

My answer is no. If you don't like the current Adminstration, make it clear in November 2012 - it is that easy.

Old 04-09-2010, 07:53 PM

2,847 posts, read 2,517,225 times
try this one for size

you think things are going to hell, so you buy gold, and gather cash and other things you think will be necessary. You want these things to be safe. you put them all in a safe deposit in a bank. the banks are nationalized or assets frozen. you approach the bank and a pimply face kid in the military says sorry sir the bank is closed. how do you get your stuff?

not probable, and assume would never happen, but now do you try to get your stuff, think the kid won't follow orders and shoot.

yes far fetched, but use this analogy with other possibilities.

no, not a doom and gloomer, but what if?

Old 04-09-2010, 07:53 PM

1,503 posts, read 1,156,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ♠atizar♠ View Post
It's always funny to watch people who've never served this country's armed forces talk like they know what the military would do, and then pretend that it's anything but wishful thinking.

This is the dumbest thread ever.
Yeah it a real litmus test of people who haven't served but like to pretend.

Old 04-09-2010, 07:55 PM

1,503 posts, read 1,156,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lionking View Post
This seems to be a common theme popping up, "you are a civilian so you have no clue" "don't talk about war or Iraq unless you've been there".

Civilians are not all mindless sheep, and there is history to look at also. The civilians have a vested interest in America also, dare I say a certain amount of bravery also. And sometimes it is civilians who maintain liberty as well as any other component of America.
You're right not all civilians are mindless sheeple. RW civilians are.

Old 04-09-2010, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIKEETC View Post
I think a better poll would be "Would You Support the Overthrow of the Present Government?"

That there answers my question above about defining coup thanks. Now I would say it would be doubtful. The president (who ever he is) would have to do something so drastic and dangerous to the country that most would understand to be so before I think the military would try to over through a elected government in this country. And the military would certainly have to make sure the population were behind them.

Old 04-09-2010, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhinestone View Post
You're right not all civilians are mindless sheeple. RW civilians are.

Come on now, instead of making this a sling fest of one against the other partisan politics wise , takeovers as being discussed are not fantasy, they happen, however in America doubtful compared to other places. But still, nothing is beyond impossible. And that goes for any potential political power in office, to be corrupt.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies