Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-11-2010, 10:11 AM

27,624 posts, read 21,115,129 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by filihok View Post
First, what?

Second, common sense tells me that if you made that stake it wouldn't take too long until you were dead
Very mature response. In fact after a response like that, you are obviously not capable of debating any issue. I'd say have a nice life, but, I don't think I will.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2010, 10:19 AM

13,285 posts, read 15,296,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc View Post
Very mature response. In fact after a response like that, you are obviously not capable of debating any issue. I'd say have a nice life, but, I don't think I will.
I'm immature because you made a typo that left your post incomprehensible?

Or I'm immature because you said you were willing to stake your life on something where you would probably end up being wrong?

Old 04-11-2010, 10:19 AM

27,624 posts, read 21,115,129 times
A whole cottage industry has cropped up in the business of covering up. There are designers devoted to selling nursing shirts, tank tops, and dresses. The loudly colored nursing smocks go by names like Hooter Hiders, Bebe Au Lait, and Lila Bean. The covers are a great solution for the mom who may feel too modest to nurse in public or would otherwise choose not to breastfeed because of issues involving her breasts. The accessories are a simple way to take care of your baby's business without making it anyone else's business.
Is Extreme Nursing Too Nasty? | momlogic.com

That's right...an entire industry just for the purpose of respectful and discreet public breastfeeding ladies. Use it.

Old 04-11-2010, 10:22 AM

12,953 posts, read 13,665,225 times
I'm not sure if comparing breast feeding, with penises, urinating, HIV, and uncleanliness is not Classic Freudian stuff?

Old 04-11-2010, 10:39 AM

23,170 posts, read 26,179,590 times
OK OK...I concede.
Out of curiosity I went searching for photos on breastfeeding.
I could show many here that I can't believe anybody would have an objection to in public.(again, without resorting to burying the poor kid in a blanket)

There were also many that have to be considered "flopping it out there' and are unnecessarily blatant....not any different than sitting there practically naked from the waist up.
I will admit to having been naive about just how "public" some women don't mind making the process
We're either going to have to accept barebreastedness for all and any reason or
as has been said already....discreetness
At this point that is still not something the majority want to accept as the norm

Old 04-11-2010, 10:59 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,694,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
There was a recent issue where a woman (on the large and homely side - I won't say cow-like again) removed the top to her bathing suit and decided her baby HAD to be nursed in the middle of a crowded pool. People complained but it was the perfect opportunity for her to go to the news media. Her 15 minutes of fame was available.
Well, thanks for not calling her a cow. I'd say she was nuts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Who?Me?! View Post
Agree with all your posts .... I tried to say all along that's it a matter of common courtesy...but you know there will always be those who ignore the rights of others to prove a point and draw attention to themselves....My sister breastfed her baby at dinner and no one knew.....she had her blouse covering everything...such thoughtfulness! Such intelligence! Such courtesy!

I bet these "let it all hang out Moms" would really be offended if some strangers at the next table stared pointedly throughout the feeding.....or maybe not !
I think the baby's comfort is important, too. Would you like to eat with a sheet over your head?

Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
OK OK...I concede.
Out of curiosity I went searching for photos on breastfeeding.
I could show many here that I can't believe anybody would have an objection to in public.(again, without resorting to burying the poor kid in a blanket)

There were also many that have to be considered "flopping it out there' and are unnecessarily blatant....not any different than sitting there practically naked from the waist up.
I will admit to having been naive about just how "public" some women don't mind making the processWe're either going to have to accept barebreastedness for all and any reason or
as has been said already....discreetness
At this point that is still not something the majority want to accept as the norm
That shows that there are not many women doing what many are being accused of.

Old 04-11-2010, 11:19 AM

1,503 posts, read 1,155,652 times
What could be more natural than a mother feeding her baby? How could anyone construe that as offensive?

Old 04-11-2010, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
I don't mean this to sound as dickish as it is going to but why should anyone care what you consider unnecessary?

Old 04-11-2010, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhinestone View Post
What could be more natural than a mother feeding her baby? How could anyone construe that as offensive?
They still think like children

Quote:
Originally Posted by filihok View Post
C) Exposure. Humans have a natural repulsion to other people's bodily fluids. Saliva, blood, urine, semen, mucus, milk, etc because, in general, it isn't safe to come into contact with these fluids. Notice how children think kissing (coming into contact with another person's saliva) is gross. Through observation children learn that it is sometimes ok for two people to kiss. Because our society is so breast-phobic/fetishized children rarely experience breast feeding as a natural thing and never learn that it's not gross and are left with this childish outlook on breast feeding that we see here. That's why we hear words like 'gross' and 'eww' to describe the act and no rational explanation as to why that is.

Old 04-11-2010, 01:23 PM

39,031 posts, read 23,012,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Who?Me?! View Post
Agree with all your posts .... I tried to say all along that's it a matter of common courtesy...but you know there will always be those who ignore the rights of others to prove a point and draw attention to themselves....My sister breastfed her baby at dinner and no one knew.....she had her blouse covering everything...such thoughtfulness! Such intelligence! Such courtesy!

I bet these "let it all hang out Moms" would really be offended if some strangers at the next table stared pointedly throughout the feeding.....or maybe not !
Hey Who?Me?! ... This is about the only time you and I have agreed on any topic! This calls for a celebration! Seems that I have already repped ya so you know the drill .... pass it around.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies