Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2010, 07:17 PM

18,381 posts, read 19,008,619 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hippydippyman View Post
Listen lady, even the parents are disgusted. No. I did not see their tax documents.

no reason to get pissy. I hear that the parents are disgusted. perhaps the parents should have instilled in their children a better work ethic if they don't like the direction their kids lives are going. if the father was that upset by the "unfairness" that his children got back so much money and how they spent the refund, he should have said as much to them. is he harvey milktoast? as the grandfather of the child with children it seems pretty cold to not want his grandchildren and the mother of his grandchildren not to get all they can out of a tax refund to make their life a bit better. your friend seems like a man with little compassion for his own children
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2010, 07:19 PM

39,031 posts, read 23,012,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jadex View Post
1-Do you realize this nation is trillions of dollars in debt?
2-At what age does a person come responsible for their own life? I am all for someone attending college but shouldnt that person be paying for it? What message are we sending. Oh you get a reward for doing something your suppose to or should do.

Shouldnt the reward being earning more then 30k a year?
Not everyone can afford college and with the record unemployment, many folks are settling for ANYTHING that will pay their bills even if it is less than what they are worth. I have a masters degree and I'm applying to positions that only require a bachelors degree just so I can obtain stable work. Don't judge til you have walked in someone's shoes.

Old 04-10-2010, 07:19 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,375,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jadex View Post
1-Do you realize this nation is trillions of dollars in debt?
2-At what age does a person come responsible for their own life? I am all for someone attending college but shouldnt that person be paying for it? What message are we sending. Oh you get a reward for doing something your suppose to or should do.

Shouldnt the reward being earning more then 30k a year?
I don't disagree with you, I think the child tax credit should be repealed.

The OP is complaining about education tax credits, and I think that education tax breaks are good.

Here is the difference.

Child tax credit encourages you to have children. Not always a good thing right?

However, an education tax credit encourages you to go back to school. Which gives you and education, which allows you to contribute more to society.

I think the education should remain, and the child tax credit should go. But the OP isn't complaining about the child tax credit, he is complaining about the education portion.

Yes, I know the countries in debt, but when we get around 10 dollars for ever 1 dollar we invest in education, I think thats an AWESOME investment.

Old 04-10-2010, 07:20 PM

214 posts, read 130,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hothulamaui View Post
no reason to get pissy. I hear that the parents are disgusted. perhaps the parents should have instilled in their children a better work ethic if they don't like the direction their kids lives are going. if the father was that upset by the "unfairness" that his children got back so much money and how they spent the refund, he should have said as much to them. is he harvey milktoast? as the grandfather of the child with children it seems pretty cold to not want his grandchildren and the mother of his grandchildren not to get all they can out of a tax refund to make their life a bit better. your friend seems like a man with little compassion for his own children
You seem like a person willing to pass judgement willy nilly. Do you know my friend?

Old 04-10-2010, 07:23 PM

Quote:
The parents, like me and my wife, have worked our behinds off and paid taxes all our lives. These parents realize that their children think there is money for nothing. My friends cut them off a long time ago for "loans" when they realized that they were using the "loan" money to live a life style they could not afford. This is the future of America.
If your "friends" cut their daughters out of their lives, then I'm surprised that they bragged openly about their tax return. By the way, people often learn about money management from their parents so if they are irresponsible, then the parents are to blame. Perhaps they spoiled their daughters so they would not have to lack as they may have lacked and did not teach their daughters the value of wise spending habits.

Old 04-10-2010, 07:25 PM

19,822 posts, read 12,084,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimw144 View Post
Of course this was no attempt at a personal attack on your part. This was just you being cuteys right
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimw144 View Post
No childish diversion, how many times have mentioned purse and shoes on this thread. A healthy male normally would not notice a young girls purse or shoes. A happily married male definitely would not be paying attention to a little girls purse or shoes.

So you stand by this remark? Snidely implying that OP is a pervert?

Old 04-10-2010, 07:25 PM

Quote:
You seem like a person willing to pass judgement willy nilly. Do you know my friend?
Uh ... Your whole thread is a judgment passed upon two ladies who received a refund which you do not fully know the circumstances behind. Who is passing judgment willy nilly?

Old 04-10-2010, 07:32 PM

Where did I state that the parents cut the children out of their lives? As a matter of fact I posted that the children were bragging during lunch.

Old 04-10-2010, 07:34 PM

18,381 posts, read 19,008,619 times
Quote:

we all pass judgments. you started by posting your feelings/judgments about two young women. the concusion I came to about your portrayal of your friend, the father who is unhappy with his children because they got big tax refunds. spent it unwisely and when he had the chance to tell them so he kept quiet. this doesn't sound like a tax rant, this sounds more like a personal problem with a man and his children. this is a public forum where judgments/feelings/conclusions/opinions are made based on the OP's postings. in this case you laid out a grumpy old grandpa that cares more about being upset his kids got a refund then being glad his daughter's and grandchildren might get some small pleasure out of the refund. he sounds like a grandfather who is too wound up in the abstract to see the beauty of his own family's happiness

Old 04-10-2010, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatteress View Post
Uh ... Your whole thread is a judgment passed upon two ladies who received a refund which you do not fully know the circumstances behind. Who is passing judgment willy nilly?
If you had read the entire thread you would know that I was there during lunch when the parties were bragging about the refunds and how they planned to spend the money.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies