Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2010, 06:23 PM

14,561 posts, read 22,965,482 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hippydippyman View Post
In this economy they are not likely to get good paying jobs and they seem to be quite content making minimum wage.
So you ***** about the fact they got tax credits, and now you ***** about them working a low paying job to support themselves.

Maybe you'd be happier if they paid no taxes and went on government assistance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
I think some missed the point. They did not get a "REFUND". They got back MORE than they paid in taxes.

That is what is unfair.
My question would be how the OP's knows what they paid in taxes and again, why he's worried about something that isn't his business to begin with.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2010, 06:23 PM

1,089 posts, read 652,097 times
Quote:
My friend's daughter and daughter-in-law received more than $4000 from the IRS. They paid nothing near that in taxes but the fact that they attended a junior college qualified them for "credits". I guess this is my wealth being redistributed. I can tell you that these two young women will not spend the money wisely.
Why are you worried about this when so much more of your taxes are spent on the Military Industrial Complex. Your taxes are being redistributed to the very wealthy in these industries.

Old 04-10-2010, 06:28 PM

214 posts, read 129,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbrauer View Post
Why are you worried about this when so much more of your taxes are spent on the Military Industrial Complex. Your taxes are being redistributed to the very wealthy in these industries.
Just call me stupid but I think money spent on keeping our country safe is good. I think money spent for welfare moms or single college students is absurd.

Old 04-10-2010, 06:32 PM

24,869 posts, read 24,294,338 times
Quote:
Just call me stupid but I think money spent on keeping our country safe is good. I think money spent for welfare moms or single college students is absurd.
The United States pays out 3 times more money, than our closest competitor on military expenditures.

We spend 1/2 what most of the industrialized world does on education.

Now, you tell me where our priorities should be. Even if we paid twice what our nearest military competitor does for national defense, that'd still be 12% more roughly of our GDP that could either be spent on paying down the debt, or furthering our childrens education.

Old 04-10-2010, 06:32 PM

90,316 posts, read 120,209,612 times
Quote:
Exactly. These two young women are not likely to ever be real taxpayers. One is 23 years old with 4 children and the other is 25 years old with a history of having multiple jobs from which she was fired.
Oh, come on! At 23 and 25 you're writing them off? People grow up. Some just take longer.

Old 04-10-2010, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jadex View Post
^ part of the reason we are trillions of dollars in debt.

Heck its not our money. Why should we get a say so in the money we work to earn

So does that mean you'll just pass out your money and not want it to be accounted for?
Because it's not our money. If you buy goods or services from a business, it's no longer your money, it's belongs to the business. This is basically the same thing. We pay money to the government in exchange for the goods and services they provide. In this case, the young person is basically being told "in exchange for your work (in this case, attending college) we'll give you a break on the bill."

Quote:
These kind if handouts encourage people to reach for the bottom.
A tax credit provided to young people to attend college is a handout and encourages them to reach for the bottom.

Oooookay.

Old 04-10-2010, 06:35 PM

6,734 posts, read 9,310,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oildog View Post
Vote for a 12% flat tax for anyone making over 40k/year.
I think we can up that percentage.

Old 04-10-2010, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
The United States pays out 3 times more money, than our closest competitor on military expenditures.
It's actually worse than that. We pay more in military costs than the next 50 countries COMBINED.

Old 04-10-2010, 06:36 PM

214 posts, read 129,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Oh, come on! At 23 and 25 you're writing them off? People grow up. Some just take longer.
Not likely. The 23 year old with children was raised in a welfare home. The 25 year old is bipolar and not likely to ever be gainfully employed. She also refuses to admit she is ill and will not seek treatment.

Old 04-10-2010, 06:37 PM

24,869 posts, read 24,294,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozzie679 View Post
I think we can up that percentage.
Yep, it would need to be, roughly 20%. Thats if you leave SSI and medicare taxes alone as they are now.

If you take all taxes, and try to lump them into one tax, it'd be around 35% per person making above 40K a year.

That'd still be cheaper than I'm paying now, counting SS and Medicare.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies