Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2010, 06:18 PM

68,329 posts, read 54,389,283 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ringwise View Post
Was he brought to trial? Nope, didn't think so. You may call it treason, but as a "Ronnie Hater", I'm not taking it very seriously.

Ronnie aside, what would you call selling weapons to an enemy? Or do you just believe in changing the definition of 'wrong' depending on the actor(s) (no pun intended) involved?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2010, 06:23 PM

68,329 posts, read 54,389,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie117 View Post
Letting Iraq and Iran destroy each other seems like a reasonable justification (according to Kissinger). The Soviets did the exact same thing; supplied both sides of the conflict hoping they would annihilate each other. Although the USSR did it in a last ditch effort to salvage their oil export market by keeping oil prices volatile. Of course, that one blew up in their faces since Reagan encouraged Saudi Arabia to triple production, which killed the price of oil, and in effect the Soviet Union.
Oh! THAT makes it OK! I didn't realize we were allowing the Soviets to determine just what was an acceptable course of action. We probably should've invested in a gulag too, eh?

Old 04-12-2010, 07:15 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,739,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgod View Post
nmnita (unable to remember what she had previously written, or unwilling to admit she was caught in a lie) wrote;

But when I showed her that they were BELOW 13% under Carter, she wrote;

Nice try at distorting/changing the subject but "About 18%" is not the same as 12.5-13%.
go back and read your figures as well: ok, 18% was on some home loans, believe me, I was selling real estate in Ca at the time, your figures state 14.something at the beginning of 1981, of course I do not remember the exact % but regardless they were not below 13% when Reagan was swore in. I might add, to call someone a lier on here is considered a personal attack. I may have been off on my figures but I am not a liar.

Nita

Old 04-12-2010, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
Well, maybe you should be sure before judging?
and you consider this before you judge as well. I am saying in my view they were anything but our enemies at the time.

Nita

Old 04-12-2010, 07:24 PM

4,301 posts, read 7,033,943 times
Quote:
nmnita (unable to remember what she had previously written, or unwilling to admit she was caught in a lie) wrote;
You are in no position to call him/her a liar, seeing as you communicated several untruths of your own;

Quote:
But Reaganomic caused TWO YEARS OF DOUBLE DIGIT unemployment. Funny no one ever mentions that.
(I suppose the BLS is lying about the UE rate from 1981-1983? )

Quote:
Oh yeah, the entire "brought down the Soviet Union" line. COMPLETE BS. By 1980 the Soviet economy was spiraling downward and they were starting to cut their defense spending.
Finally;

Quote:
But somehow Reagan thought, "let's spend money we don't have" and see if we can bankrupt our economy.

Old 04-12-2010, 09:52 PM

1,230 posts, read 1,039,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eureka1 View Post
RR delivered his lines well and left us with a huge deficit due to tax cuts for the rich.. He was one of the worst Presidents ever. Bah, humbug to any Reagan holiday.
I agree. We are still suffering big time from "Reaganomics". I always found him to be half nutty and half phony....and really corny. Somehow Howdy Doody always comes to mind. Come to think of it, a holiday in memory of Howdy Doody would work a lot better for me!

Old 04-13-2010, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DifferentDrum View Post
I agree. We are still suffering big time from "Reaganomics". I always found him to be half nutty and half phony....and really corny. Somehow Howdy Doody always comes to mind. Come to think of it, a holiday in memory of Howdy Doody would work a lot better for me!
and what are you basing this on? Corny, I don't agree, but I can buy that, even maybe phony to those he did not really know the man, but nutty, please explain?

I have no problem with people who do not agree with others on politics or anything else, I do have problems with people who make totally negative comments about anyone and don't back them up...

Nita

Old 04-13-2010, 09:49 AM

25,826 posts, read 20,703,250 times
I think that they are entitled to create a day for anything they want. If nothing else, Reagan was a product of Hollywood after all and as such, he certainly does belong to CA. If they want to give him a day, more power to them.

Old 04-16-2010, 09:01 PM

29,939 posts, read 39,464,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mossomo View Post
Trestles Beach is a direct RESULT of the Reagan governorship of CA.
Quote:
1966 January 1: Reagan announces candidacy for governor of California. He promises to reduce the waste in government and to "clean up the mess at Berkeley."

November 8: Reagan elected by almost 1 million votes more than incumbent Democratic governor Edmund G. ("Pat") Brown.
Quote:
1967 January 3: Reagan is sworn in as governor of California. He inherits a $200 million deficit in a state where the governor is required by Constitution to submit a balanced budget.
Quote:
1973 January 18: Reagan submits $9.258 billion budget with a $1.1 billion surplus, and gives taxpayers a rebate.
The American Experience | Reagan | Timeline (1959 - 1977)

Just sayin'

Old 04-16-2010, 09:06 PM

29,939 posts, read 39,464,356 times
Quote:
Point out one thing in my post that is not true.
If you can't do a point by point refutation then it is YOU who are moronic and an ignoramus.

Quote:
Reagan did raise taxes.
1981 - 69.13%
1989 - 28%

Historical Top Tax Rate

The tax policy center is far from a "right-wing" organization. There is your one thing, you don't deserve any more with your far-left propaganda.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies