Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which car do like more? Prius or Hummer?
Prius 22 24.72%
Hummer 26 29.21%
I like them both equally. 5 5.62%
I don't like either one. 25 28.09%
I'm indifferent. No reactions. 11 12.36%
Voters: 89. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2010, 12:29 PM

412 posts, read 404,978 times

Advertisements

Liberals hate Hummers because they're wasteful and are perceived as bulky and unnecessary. Conservatives hate Priuses (Prii?) because they perceive them to be 'snobby' or intended to make a statement. In all honesty, the hate for the Prius seems a lot more arbitrary ("Liberals think that fuel efficiency is important; the Prius is famous for being fuel efficient; I hate liberals; therefore I must hate the Prius") while the hate for the Hummer is based on actual attributes (namely, its gas-guzzling nature). The politicization of cars seems to be silly to me. They're just vehicles.

On a personal note, even if Hummers were to become more efficient than a prius, I still probably wouldn't care for them as they are rather ugly in my opinion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2010, 01:02 PM

10,214 posts, read 15,925,047 times
I think a Hummer is a cool, powerful vehicle. I don't care what car someone drives, except when its a high school or college kid driving their rich daddy's BMW or Mercedes SUV.

Old 04-12-2010, 01:06 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,209,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailordave View Post
You might want to check out the SouthPark episode of smug alert to see examples of the attitude we hate about Prius drivers.
I saw that and thought that was funny.

Just for fun I try to imagine to most outrageous, rediculous, monstrosity of a vehilce imaginable, one that only exists in my imagination. Nobody needs it, it's not special in any way, but if it were actually built and put on the market people would fight for their "right" to buy it. That cracks me up.

Old 04-12-2010, 02:30 PM

14,100 posts, read 28,528,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WatermelonRat View Post
Liberals hate Hummers because they're wasteful and are perceived as bulky and unnecessary. Conservatives hate Priuses (Prii?) because they perceive them to be 'snobby' or intended to make a statement. In all honesty, the hate for the Prius seems a lot more arbitrary ("Liberals think that fuel efficiency is important; the Prius is famous for being fuel efficient; I hate liberals; therefore I must hate the Prius") while the hate for the Hummer is based on actual attributes (namely, its gas-guzzling nature). The politicization of cars seems to be silly to me. They're just vehicles.

On a personal note, even if Hummers were to become more efficient than a prius, I still probably wouldn't care for them as they are rather ugly in my opinion.
You're wrong. If it was about fuel efficiency then all the vehicles I listed in a previous post would also be hated but there aren't any eco-terrorist burning those dealerships or people keying the sides or slashing tires.

Old 04-12-2010, 02:40 PM

3,860 posts, read 8,452,072 times
Ok I'll admit it. Most large SUV's are just ugly to me. Not to mention that too many of the people that own them can't barely drive them let alone park them.

Old 04-12-2010, 05:23 PM

412 posts, read 404,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailordave View Post
You're wrong. If it was about fuel efficiency then all the vehicles I listed in a previous post would also be hated but there aren't any eco-terrorist burning those dealerships or people keying the sides or slashing tires.
It's not just that they're inefficient, it's the perception, rightly or wrongly, that they're wasteful and unnecessary. I have family and friends who live in the country, and I know that for some people bigger cars and trucks are necessary. My mom used to work as a day-care provider and had to drive a lot of kids around, so she had to pick a vehicle that could hold a lot of people over one that would have the best efficiency. My uncle works on a farm, and he drives a pick-up truck for his work. Some family friends are involved in a lot of outdoor activities, so they have a medium SUV appropriate for doing those things. Hummers are exceptionally large, inefficient, and extravagant, even compared to big SUVs. They're more status symbols and something to make guys feel macho than a car with any useful purposes. The number of people who actually need a vehicle the size of a Hummer is drastically lower than the number of people who drive them.

Old 04-12-2010, 05:26 PM

2,847 posts, read 2,517,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
I agree. I think there is a place for an Truck/SUV and a Prius. You can drive your Prius to work everyday and then when you move something or go camping, you can drive your SUV or truck on the weekends.

I own a truck and love it. It's not a raised redneck truck but just a normal Ford F150. I can't tell you how much abuse I get from my liberal friends and wife for owning it. At the same time, I've noticed I can't really tell my hunting friends that a Prius is cool since it just seems like a dumb sissy car to them.
agree. I wonder how many times your friends have asked you to get, haul or carry something for them

Old 04-12-2010, 05:36 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,626,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aliveandwellinSA View Post
agree. I wonder how many times your friends have asked you to get, haul or carry something for them
But why would it be necessary to buy a full size pickup if you're only hauling things 2 or 3 times a year?

My parents have a pickup that we use if we need anything large. If it's too big for that (he has a Toyota PreRunner) we rent a truck or trailer from a local renting place. $19.99 for an entire day for a full size Dodge Ram and 20ft open trailer.

Old 04-12-2010, 06:25 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,258,323 times
The extended cab Pickups can serve two purposes:

1) Going to work / hauling. Lots of construction types

2) The Family car.

Old 04-13-2010, 06:22 AM

14,100 posts, read 28,528,095 times
Except that it was only the H1, or original HUMMER, that was so huge. The other vehicles they made were basicly rebadged Chevy/GMC SUVs. Personally, I thought producing the HUMMER was a mistake but buying one was a personal choice. As bad as the original HUMMER was, I always believed the Ford Excursion was much worse and yet people weren't setting them on fire at dealerships. I'm not a truck or SUV person. I prefer small to midsize sedans. If I need a truck, I'll either ask a favor of a relative or I'll rent one. Several co-workers drive trucks. One does his own lawn care business and has employees who work under him. He uses his truck to tow his various lawn equipment on a flatbed trailer. Another does home AC repair on the side and uses his truck for the home ac repair as well as for hunting and fishing. Also, large SUVs aren't the only vehicle some people seem to have a problem parking,...they're just the ones that stick out the most in people's eyes and mind. I once watched a woman spend over 5 minutes trying to get her Lincoln MKS into a parking space properly. Many people with expensive cars will intentionally park in a way that blocks two parking spaces to protect their little baby. I know why they don't, but I wish the people who paint the parking space lines would take a Chevy Suburban, open the doors wide, measure the width with the doors open, and use that for the parking space lanes. Then again, people would use that as an excuse to pull in all to one side or another or pull in at a bad angle.
Quote:
Originally Posted by WatermelonRat View Post
It's not just that they're inefficient, it's the perception, rightly or wrongly, that they're wasteful and unnecessary. I have family and friends who live in the country, and I know that for some people bigger cars and trucks are necessary. My mom used to work as a day-care provider and had to drive a lot of kids around, so she had to pick a vehicle that could hold a lot of people over one that would have the best efficiency. My uncle works on a farm, and he drives a pick-up truck for his work. Some family friends are involved in a lot of outdoor activities, so they have a medium SUV appropriate for doing those things. Hummers are exceptionally large, inefficient, and extravagant, even compared to big SUVs. They're more status symbols and something to make guys feel macho than a car with any useful purposes. The number of people who actually need a vehicle the size of a Hummer is drastically lower than the number of people who drive them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies