U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2010, 12:47 PM

2,117 posts, read 895,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by db1025 View Post
O'Donnell was not saying it is an untrue stereotype, she made the stereotype herself. So for you literal lillies out there, Jimmy the Greek was implying the same thing...Blacks are better atheletes. I'm sorry most of you who want to argue this do not deal with truth, you deal with spin and selfish interpretations.
Haha, I honestly feel bad for you, since you obviously do not understand this very well.

From the article you yourself linked:

Quote:
MSNBC’s Norah O’Donnell on Friday went too far for even her colleagues at the liberal cable channel, receiving mockery for her assertion that Newt Gingrich made racially charged remarks about Barack Obama.
When she says that "all black people are good athletes," she is attributing those beliefs to Gingrich. She's being stupid of course, but she is not accepting those beliefs herself, as Jimmy the Greek was. She's accusing Gingrich of being racist. I don't understand how this is that hard.

edit: seriously dude. One more time.
Quote:
I think it’s open to some criticism because it suggests that the President is an athlete and some people may suggest, you know, because all black people are good athletes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2010, 12:48 PM

470 posts, read 227,454 times
AUM, She MADE THE STEREOTYPE. Stop trying to spin it. Newt said nothing of the sort, she was trying to say that Newt was saying something racist when he mentioned BO shooting hoops. Here's what she said. This is a fabrication in her own mind and not anything Newt said:"But Iím not sure what he means by this particular soundbite and I think itís open to some criticism because it suggests that the President is an athlete and some people may suggest, you know, because all black people are good athletes. I mean thatís what it sort of sounds like to me"

Old 04-13-2010, 12:49 PM

Drunks, you're drunk for sure. How do you spin such ignorance when it is in front of you in black and white?

Old 04-13-2010, 12:52 PM

9,646 posts, read 5,132,939 times
Gingrich responded today:
"You may have seen Norah O'Donnell shocked Friday morning that I made a joke about the president shooting a three point shot and suggested that if he focused on being president it would be a more productive use of his time. She immediately said that must be a racist comment. It's relatively hard to go from 'we need someone who is a good president more than we need three point shots to [concluding that was a racist comment]. 'That must have been racist' rests on the premise that nobody on the Duke team was white."

The American Spectator : AmSpecBlog : Gingrich Responds to Norah O'Donnell's Thinking that his "Athlete" Comment was Racist

Old 04-13-2010, 01:00 PM

This is the last post I'll make on this. I will do my best to make it extremely simple for you.

In my first post you'll see that I harbor no affection for O'Donnell, and I find her remark to be quite foolish, grasping, and inaccurate .

However, your comparison of this to the comments made by Jimmy the Greek or Imus is inappropriate.

There is a common stereotype that blacks are naturally superior athletes, for whatever reason, and as as a black man, I have experienced it throughout my life, as I am in fact an athlete (haha). In fact, I have been told that I (we) have an extra muscle in my calves that allow me to run better. I am well aware of this stereotype.

Let's move on to my second post.

Jimmy the Greek's comments assert that this stereotype is true, because as slaves, we were bred that way.

Norah O'Donnell's comments assert that another individual, Newt Gingrich, is asserting that this stereotype is true, and that this individual should be castigated for this racial insensitivity.

So please tell me, what ignorance am I spinning? She is not being racist, she is inaccurately accusing another individual of racism. If you want to claim that she is "playing the race card," as much as I hate that term, I wouldn't necessarily disagree. If you want to claim that she is buying into the belief that blacks are superior athletes, I don't know what to tell you.

Does anyone else object to this formulation? Why or why not?

Old 04-13-2010, 01:02 PM

25,251 posts, read 14,672,097 times
Quote:
AUM, She MADE THE STEREOTYPE. Stop trying to spin it. Newt said nothing of the sort, she was trying to say that Newt was saying something racist when he mentioned BO shooting hoops.
I can't tell you how many times I see conservatives on this forum say things like, "What you REALLY mean is...", or "This is REALLY all about..." I see this type of thing every time there's a discussion about gay issues.

The point is that people make assumptions all the time. Sometimes they're right, and sometime they're wrong.

Old 04-13-2010, 01:02 PM

you're so wrong drunks, have another drink while you work on your reading comprehension.

Old 04-13-2010, 01:04 PM

Hey AUM, stick with the truth of the matter and no spin and you won't find yourself in those situations.

Old 04-13-2010, 01:10 PM

Quote:
you're so wrong drunks, have another drink while you work on your reading comprehension.
Sigh. I know I said I'm done with this, but I would love for you to actually respond to my comment without misreading my name and slandering me as an alcoholic when I don't even drink.

Are just you mad that I made you look foolish in this thread:

Irony is dripping: Communist Party of US suing Dem party for intellectual property theft

?

Old 04-13-2010, 01:22 PM

Seriously, you tell me that I need to work on my reading comprehension, yet you couldn't tell that this article Communists Sue Democratic Party For Stealing Platform : The Current Truth was satire. To quote summers73, the "irony is dripping".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies