U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 04-13-2010, 08:37 PM
 
25,740 posts, read 25,272,423 times
Reputation: 24328

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomander View Post
oh well, its just garbage either way. Take out the trash, they are simply blobs. No harm no foul right? Sorry lady, made a mistake. Better luck next time right? /boggle
And that's the way you view the decision that this woman and her husband made? As a cheerful, cavalier decision? On what do you base that viewpoint? Besides, of course, the desire to see things that way because it's much easier.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-13-2010, 08:38 PM
 
Location: Over There
5,129 posts, read 4,766,521 times
Reputation: 1205
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theliberalvoice View Post
There are some Indians (I know some) who want to abort female fetuses. I came across an Indian woman who was 8 months pregnant with a female fetus and was begging my cousins wife (who is a lawyer) to find some loophole in the law so she could get an abortion. Reason? Her husband didnt want a girl.

I am Indian myself in the USA and see it in our community ALL the time.

Chinese people here...Indians....MUSLIMS......they want males.

My mother never got over the grief of having me and my sister. No sons.
Everything you say is true, sad as it may be. I live in a predominantly Indian town and I have had more then one Indian woman "praise" me for having two boys as if I had some say in the matter. I have had Indian men ask me to "talk" to their wives and tell them what to do so they can have a boy. It is bizarre to say the least.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-13-2010, 08:39 PM
 
25,740 posts, read 25,272,423 times
Reputation: 24328
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post

Yes, I got that. I did read the article. The mother risked the other babies life by choosing to abort the one diagnosed with problems. And, now it is dead. Period.

Sad, very sad indeed.
Corrections. The mother and father risked the other baby's life by choosing a selective reduction of the very unhealthy one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-13-2010, 08:41 PM
 
Location: Baltimore
8,287 posts, read 7,511,677 times
Reputation: 3650
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post

Yes, I got that. I did read the article. The mother risked the other babies life by choosing to abort the one diagnosed with problems. And, now it is dead. Period.

Sad, very sad indeed.
Allowing a fetus with congenital malformations to continue to develop doesn't pose a risk to the other fetus?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-13-2010, 08:41 PM
 
25,740 posts, read 25,272,423 times
Reputation: 24328
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyber Queen View Post
Everything you say is true, sad as it may be. I live in a predominantly Indian town and I have had more then one Indian woman "praise" me for having two boys as if I had some say in the matter. I have had Indian men ask me to "talk" to their wives and tell them what to do so they can have a boy. It is bizarre to say the least.
So then they feel that way; are they actually doing something about it? Are they actually aborting the female fetuses? Because that was the point: whether or not abortions that are actually performed are based on such cavalier attitudes. I'm not asking about wishful thinking and disappointment, I'm asking for facts. I am no tin this community so I don't know...therefore, again, if anyone has statistics on a significantly higher number of males than females being born into this community in the U.S., I will then say: Yes, in this community, anyway, certain women are making what I personally would consider a stupid decision to abort healthy babies.

So I'll await stats on that, and in the meantime, the issue of Indian women wishing they had males doesn't really have any parallel to what the mother and father in this news story must have been feeling. They were not trying to abort a healthy baby girl because it was a girl.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-13-2010, 08:41 PM
 
Location: Over There
5,129 posts, read 4,766,521 times
Reputation: 1205
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerZ View Post
So they have ultrasounds to determine the sex (or CVS or amnio) and if it's a girl, they abort it?

Do you have numbers to support a very high percentage of boys v. girls being born in these populations, since the girls are being aborted? Just curious.

I mean I know you're busy trying to support the whole "women are selfish people who make hideous decisions concerning their fetuses for no good reason" agenda here, but really, at least have the facts first. If you have links to support your assertions, please do show them as I would be curious. If not, you're only adding fuel to the fire for your own reasons, which, itself, is reprehensible, IMO.

As I stated I live in a predominantly Indian and Asian town and when I went to the hospital when I was pregnant with my first son my husband and I had to beg the lady to tell us the sex. The hospital has implemented a rule not to give out the sex because yes woman will abort if they are having girls or have their husbands scream and yell at them.

The assertions that LV makes are 110% correct I have seen it first hand.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-13-2010, 08:41 PM
 
13,072 posts, read 11,399,782 times
Reputation: 2608
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerZ View Post
And that's the way you view the decision that this woman and her husband made? As a cheerful, cavalier decision? On what do you base that viewpoint? Besides, of course, the desire to see things that way because it's much easier.
Hey doc, can your scrape out this defect, I don't want to deal with it, please get rid of this garbage so I can have a normal baby! thanks, here is a tip, scrape away!

Please, play the emotional point on some idiot who has no clue to the procedure. Your ignorant attempt to impose such an emotional appeal is for lack of a better word, retarded. But hey, we can always scrap them out, no worries!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-13-2010, 08:44 PM
 
Location: Baltimore
8,287 posts, read 7,511,677 times
Reputation: 3650
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomander View Post
Hey doc, can your scrape out this defect, I don't want to deal with it, please get rid of this garbage so I can have a normal baby! thanks, here is a tip, scrape away!

Please, play the emotional point on some idiot who has no clue to the procedure. Your ignorant attempt to impose such an emotional appeal is for lack of a better word, retarded. But hey, we can always scrap them out, no worries!
*L* Your argument is nothing but emotional appeal. Why do you always accuse people of doing what you yourself are doing?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-13-2010, 08:44 PM
 
25,740 posts, read 25,272,423 times
Reputation: 24328
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomander View Post
Hey doc, can your scrape out this defect, I don't want to deal with it, please get rid of this garbage so I can have a normal baby! thanks, here is a tip, scrape away!

Please, play the emotional point on some idiot who has no clue to the procedure. Your ignorant attempt to impose such an emotional appeal is for lack of a better word, retarded. But hey, we can always scrap them out, no worries!
My question was:

Quote:
And that's the way you view the decision that this woman and her husband made? As a cheerful, cavalier decision? On what do you base that viewpoint? Besides, of course, the desire to see things that way because it's much easier.
So what you're saying is what you're basing it on, is some odd rant that can't actually be attributed to anyone and which came from your own thoughts? Or...what was that, exactly?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-13-2010, 08:44 PM
 
8,743 posts, read 10,251,401 times
Reputation: 3385
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyber Queen View Post
As I stated I live in a predominantly Indian and Asian town and when I went to the hospital when I was pregnant with my first son my husband and I had to beg the lady to tell us the sex. The hospital has implemented a rule not to give out the sex because yes woman will abort if they are having girls or have their husbands scream and yell at them.

The assertions that LV makes are 110% correct I have seen it first hand.

EXACTLY! In Vancouver, Canada-my cousins wife had a clinic next to her. There was a sign on their door that said "Due to new law enforcements we do NOT reveal the gender" or something.

Sometimes the husbands attack the woman and she stays silent because she is not supposed to disobey her husband.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyber Queen View Post
Everything you say is true, sad as it may be. I live in a predominantly Indian town and I have had more then one Indian woman "praise" me for having two boys as if I had some say in the matter. I have had Indian men ask me to "talk" to their wives and tell them what to do so they can have a boy. It is bizarre to say the least.
Exactly. Odd that some people dont believe me when I say it.

As I said before, my mother NEVER got over the grief of never having a son. Did you see my other post about when we went to India? My parents and I and my sis walked in and they kept the door open waiting for their "son". Finally they asked "Wheres your son?" My parents were shamed as they said they didnt have one. And they *COMFORTED* my parents saying that God did it for a reason, etc etc.

When my sister was born, my mom cried for days because it was just another worthless girl.

I could not believe the nerve of that woman who was 8 months pregnant though. All because her husband didnt want a female. 8 months is far too late into it. My cousins wife refused to look for loopholes for her. And meanwhile, it was not in the US, Canada is similar enough, yes?

People think this is a issue only in homelands. Not at all. They come HERE and bring their stupid little cultural issues with them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top