U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2010, 10:37 AM

66,134 posts, read 33,571,533 times

Advertisements

cram you hand up its ass and pull its guts out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2010, 10:41 AM

2,305 posts, read 2,691,669 times
Here we go again, the big bad pitbull thread. Wake up boneheads it's the dumbass owners that are the problems not the dog. Had a pitbull many years ago and she never bit anyone and was a great dog. Own two Rottweillers now and neither have ever bit anyone. I am a responsible pet owner and my dogs are well trained.

But my neighbor who is nothing more than white trash owns a black lab who has tried to bite me twice. Luckily my Rottweiler came to my rescue. And check this out, he did not even hurt the lab just chased him out of our yard and stopped at our lot line where I taught him was his boundary.

So quit being idiots and think! A dog will only do what you allow it to do, there just like kids.

Old 05-01-2010, 11:13 AM

2,305 posts, read 2,691,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
cram you hand up its ass and pull its guts out.
When I read responses like this one I always picture a man about 5'6" tall and 145 lbs. who was picked on in high school and sitting in front of his computer finally getting a chance to be a badass.

Old 05-01-2010, 11:29 AM

25,631 posts, read 30,310,140 times
Pitbull? you make the call.
Attachment 62228

Last edited by Bulldogdad; 01-04-2012 at 05:10 PM..

Old 05-01-2010, 03:38 PM

5,279 posts, read 4,384,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SGL1 View Post
Been there, done that. Mace will just pi$$ them off. A Pit Bull must be shot or ripped from stem to stern with a blade. If you can manage to keep your mits around it's neck or get the brawny f'ker in a choke hold do it. But a PB must be incapacitated or it will seriously ruin your day.
My husband and I were walking in our rural neighborhood and a German Shepherd actually wriggled through the driveway gate and charged us, teeth bared. Luckily my husband always carries a stout walking stick. I stood behind him, and as the dog lunged, he simply jammed the stick into it's chest and shoved it sideways. It immediately lost interest in the attack and trotted back to it's gate, not approaching us as we walked away.

I'm a dog lover and would never want to harm a dog that wasn't intent on actually hurting you, so I'd keep the knife as a last resort.

Always carry a stout walking stick when going on walks; if the shove hadn't worked, we still could have stopped it.

Another time a neighbor's dog (that I later learned had threatened other neighbors) got out on our neighborhood street while I was walking my Pomeranian. I saw it approach and it didn't look friendly. I picked up the Pomeranian and stood still. As it got closer, I took a step in it's direction and shouted "No!" (this was not a Pit Bull), and it turned and ran home.

It helped that both these dogs were off their home territory, but I do know that Pit Bulls are a whole different situation, and I wouldn't want to face one without a knife.

Old 05-01-2010, 05:10 PM

51 posts, read 70,664 times
dont let the pics fool you my pits are vicious, they could very well eat your face off if you happen to step into my house uninvited. Just like all pitbulls they are evil, aggressive, attack without reason and cant be trusted around children or other animals.

heres one of our dogs planning an attack on my daughter

and this is how they trick you into thinking they're sweet dogs, when you reach down to rub her belly she latches on to your arm and rips it right off. the horror, the horror.....

//post may contain sarcasm and high levels of MSG
//pitbull haters have never owned or known a pit

Old 05-02-2010, 07:53 AM

5,240 posts, read 13,977,232 times
I'm floored by how many mindless people on this board jump on board with media hype and do no research themselves.

The 'pitbull' breeds consistently score year after year in the 80th and 90th percentile in temperament testing, higher than a Golden Retreiever. But you idiots aren't looking to ban the Golden are you? And don't get me wrong, one of my foster dogs is a Golden and he's fabulous. But I've also got 5 pit type dogs in my house living very happily and peacefully with over 20 other dogs, including 10 chihuahuas. They've all been around children and the only attempt at ripping their throat out was licking them non-stop.

Don't get me wrong, if you choose to be uneducated that's your right. Welcome to America. Live in fear of something ridiculous all you want.

By the way, do you remember when people said these things about shepherds? Rottweilers? Dobermans? Chows? Don't hear much about that anymore do you?

What happened? The dogs the criminals were using were outlawed in areas with high crime rates. So the criminals switched to other breeds. As those breeds were outlawed they moved on. So those fear mongers out there that run to their county offices crying that the breed is the problem and have them banned, just ultimately push criminals to find a new breed. So when the 150 pound mastiff is all that's left and criminals start bringing them home and making them aggressive you can thank yourself. You think a 50 pound pitbull is dangerous? Let's talk about a dog three times as powerful.

So, instead of throwing every single dog in a single group, how about you get some education and focus on the real problem - the owners. And I know, there are plenty of you out there that will never believe pits can be good dogs. Regardless of the fact they were once called Nanny Dogs because people would bring them home when they brought home a new baby because of their love of children. Regardless of the fact that there are many of them working in law enforcement, the military, with border patrol, etc. There were pits that were 9/11 dogs, working to save animals. And that back when they were using them for fighting - strictly for fighting - the dogs that bit humans, even in the middle of the ring when fighting with a dog - were culled immediately. Any potential to bite a human was totally removed from their lines. It took the scum of the earth to breed human aggression back into them.

My dogs have never shown aggression. The dog I've had a problem with? Rat terrier and doxie. I've had to have both rat terriers put to sleep because of aggression. And I'm still dealing with the doxie after 8 months. Pitbulls? No problem at all. Not a single big of aggression. As a matter of fact, the chihuahuas run this house and the pitties are quite happy to fall in line behind them.

Our personal pitbull in all her man eating glory.

Attempting to 'eat' a beagle.

Stalking a terrier / chihuahua:

Trying to eat a Bassett:

Giving a false sense of security to three chihuahuas, waiting until their guard is down so she can consume them:

Ready to eat a cocker spaniel and a rat terrier at the same time:

Eating a Border Collie puppy - oh the humanity!!

Ahhhh.............. Two cats and a human - yummy!

Yep, a true man eater.

Old 05-02-2010, 08:31 AM

Location: On the "Left Coast", somewhere in "the Land of Fruits & Nuts"
8,367 posts, read 8,560,331 times
This is kinda like having a drunk driver showing pics of how his car to everybody at the trial, and telling 'em how "cool" it really is!

Old 05-02-2010, 09:02 AM

5,010 posts, read 13,144,773 times
My wife and I adopt our dogs, and we have no problem taking in the "aggressive" ones. We adopted our first pit bull a few years ago to keep our German Shepherd company. The next one we get will probably be a Rottweiler.

At one time in history, both GSD's and Rottweilers were condemned and vilified by the media of the day. Never mind the true traits of the dog, all that matters is the media circus.

All dogs require a responsible owner, and the larger dogs require even more attention. It's one of the things we accept as the owners of large dogs.

Our pit is one of the sweetest dogs I have ever had. He's wonderful, and we will certainly adopt a few more. He's also kooky and crazy, and an absolute blast to watch. He and the German Shepherd have tons of fun playing in the yard and house. Did you know the first decorated dog of World War I was a pit bull? They were total family dogs, and still are.

Look at that vicious killer dog--

Oh no! He's ready to snap and kill -

Absolutely terrifying -

Ready to pounce!

Understanding the breed -
http://www.badrap.org/rescue/breed.html

Myths -
http://www.badrap.org/rescue/myths.html

Pros & cons of owning a pit bull -
http://www.badrap.org/rescue/owning.html

Of course, no evidence more completely refutes the idea that pit bulls are inherently wrong than the rehabilitation of the Michael Vick dogs. Abused, tortured, and subjected to cruelty most of us cannot even imagine, the courts were set to order them killed.

Animal shelters across the country stepped in, most notably Best Friends in Utah, and the results have been astounding. These beaten, scarred, vicious dogs? Turns out they really are as sweet as any other dog, they just need therapy and healing.

Can the Michael Vick dogs be saved? At Best Friends, the answer is yes | Dog Time - The Michael Vick dogs at Best Friends

Quote:
Garcia describes the dogs' physical condition when they first arrived, and it starts to sink in that this effort is no small endeavor. Many of the dogs had, and still have, patches of skin missing from their legs and muzzle. One male had his jaw bones broken in several places, so his mouth doesn't quite close. And there was the female who'd had her teeth plucked one by one from her gums, so she wouldn't be able to bite during breeding. "Most debilitating are the psychological scars," adds Ann Allums, the head trainer. "These dogs were so frightened they wouldn't come out of their crates when they first got here. You can imagine how confused and disoriented they were. They had no idea who to trust."
Garcia goes on to lay out the details of the dogs' intensive schedules, which work out to be about a ten-hour day, every day. He talks fast and furiously, but I'm having trouble concentrating because of the boisterous sounds of barking and toenails tapping just beyond the door.
"Could we meet one?" I ask.

Champion spirit

Garcia doesn't seem to mind the interruption, and we're ushered through the door. The first dog we see is a large, dirty blond Pit Bull with a huge head and knowing, resigned eyes. His face, torso, and legs bear the unmistakable scars of fierce battle. Clearly, this dog hasn't been in just a scrape or two, he's had to fight for his life. Yet, as we step closer, his whole body wiggles and wags. "This is Lucas," says Garcia. "He's a grand champion. He's probably been fought more than 25 times."
Lucas nuzzles his head into the crook of my elbow. He darts over to greet my husband, all kisses and play bows. It's hard to imagine a dog being any friendlier, and we fall all over him in return. He's irresistable.
Pit Bulls are famously people-centered, as Lucas is proving. But how does he do with dogs?
"Has there been much fence fighting?" I ask. Fence-fighting is the term for aggressive barking, lunging, and snarling dogs do when in the presence of other dogs they can't physically access. It's very common in dog-aggressive dogs.
"We haven't seen any," Garcia tells me. I have to admit, I'm stunned.
Quote:
It was said the Vick dogs would never walk on leash. They all do. It was said they're all dog aggressive. The overwhelming majority show little to no aggression. It was doubted they'd ever be adoptable. Aside from Lucas--the grand champ fighter (and lover) who has been court-ordered to remain at Best Friends--there is excellent reason to believe all the Vicktory dogs will leave the sanctuary and live out their lives in family homes...I do believe that every dog deserves a chance. I think of the comment trainer John Garcia made yesterday in describing their achievements. "These dogs have had to overcome huge obstacles, and they have. But their biggest hurdle will be overcoming the label 'Vick Pit Bull.'"

http://www.bestfriends.org/vickdogs/

Evaluating the Rescued Michael Vick Pit Bull Dogs

Old 05-02-2010, 12:22 PM

630 posts, read 799,363 times
IMO some of the methods of defense suggested would be beyond the capability of the average victim of an attack by an angry pitbull. That said you would probably sustain injury, which is of course far better than death. If you have ever witnessed the viciousness of their attack you know what I mean.

Naturally, if these animals were not in demand by people the breed would fade or become extinct eventually. Let us place responsibility squarely where it belongs.

Since hazards exist (reasonable & otherwise) it is prudent to be prepared. If a handgun isn't feasible at least a chemical weapon or a strong walking stick would be my advice. Use all in full measure before contact--ask questions later!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies