U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2010, 07:39 PM

14,152 posts, read 11,579,370 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
I didn't say one should kill dogs already alive. I just said one should not breed certain dogs anymore, so they gradually disappear.
Dog breeds do have different characters, after all the breeding originally had quite specific reasons, be it hunting, protecting, guiding, or whatever. Some breeds are known for their peaceful social nature, others not. That is not to say there are no dangerous Spitz and peaceful pit bulls, but they do have different basic characters. They also vary in intelligence, some breeds are smart and patient enough for becoming guide dogs, others not, some tend to be submissive, others dominating...
Interesting thing ...the breeding question. Most of the dogs I ever had were mutts. Hybrids of one type or another. The best dog I ever had, bar NONE, was a coydog. Half common dog, half coyote. There is a pic of him on my profile. He was fast, strong, overly smart, and loyal to a fault. I used to go rabbit hunting, and just take him as the means to the end. He would run them down and would bring them back to me, unharmed until told to do otherwise. he also kept gophers and such thinned out around here, most effectively. . I would have pitied any poor fool who tried to hurt my kids when he was standing guard. He could be quite nasty when he felt the need, but only would do so when something set his hackles up. His instinct for cahracter was uncanny. I attribute that to his wild side. I miss him. I will never have another like him. I would hazard that his ...lineage...would cast him into the 'vicious breed' class, but he was a fine animal. I would NOT , however, condone breeding coys on purpose. Ever.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2010, 12:54 PM

122 posts, read 174,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigskydude View Post
Precisely why these animals need to be shot on site .. regardless of what they are doing at the time.
Spoken like a true coward!

Old 05-07-2010, 01:06 PM

1,065 posts, read 979,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
They need to rename the article "How to absolutely, positively get killed by a Pitbull".

It is painfully obvious that the author of this crap has never, ONCE, in his entire, pathetic life been attacked by any dog, let alone a Pitbull. Unless you are a very, very large, very, very strong man, you are not going to be able to impact the attack physically. The ONLY option that makes even a modicum of sense is to "stand on a car".

Anyone would be a fool - and a maimed and probably dead fool to follow any of this stupid, stupid, stupid advice.

20yrsinBranson
I walk dogs , I'm a pet sitter . I have used my weapon many times . I carry a large tasty biscuit , I throw it down they pick it up and run off with it .
One time I said "bad dog , go home " and it did .

Old 05-07-2010, 03:38 PM

2,424 posts, read 1,886,313 times
I carry a pistol when I walk my small dogs, I will shoot a large breed if it attacks and kick a small breed.

Old 05-07-2010, 07:13 PM

15,847 posts, read 30,269,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaymie View Post
I walk dogs , I'm a pet sitter . I have used my weapon many times . I carry a large tasty biscuit , I throw it down they pick it up and run off with it .
One time I said "bad dog , go home " and it did .
Well, faced with the unpleasant prospect of having a snarly pitbull confrontation I would certainly try your method before kicking, hitting and attempting to strangle it. LOL At least throwing a biscuit on the ground is NOT going to **** it off even more (hopefully).

20yrsinBranson

Old 05-07-2010, 07:27 PM

3,983 posts, read 3,370,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by princessbing68 View Post
Spoken like a true coward!
Not really ..

Wild breed dogs are much smarter, outgoing, gentle and protective than any wanna-be domestic breed dog.

With domestic breed dogs, like, lets say, Pits, there isn't a whole lot of thought standing behind the action .. Wild breed dogs are smart enough to figure things out for themselves, and think about what they are doing, while they are doing it.

Everybody knows that Pits aren't exactly the sharpest tools in the shed you know .. Just Sayin' ..

Old 05-07-2010, 08:15 PM

51 posts, read 70,673 times
I used to be just as ignorant when it came to APBT's, I only knew what I saw on the news, a pitbull was going to eat my kid, cats, cars and anything else it could kill. But then I got one, kind of by accident. A friend of my wife called us asking if we could keep a dog for her till she found a home, she and her boyfriend broke up and he couldnt keep the dog so he was going to take her to the pound.

at first I said no way and then i let the dog stay with us for the night, next day I called my wife and told her to call her friend and tell her the dog has a home with us. Since then we too another one from someone trying to find a home for him.

best dogs ever, i would never own another breed again. I know i wont convince anyone that they arent the vicious killers you see on the news because nobody would have convinced me either. people believe everything the media says. Do I agree that there are pit bulls that are dangerous? absolutely, but you take most any animal, chain it in a yard, abuse it and make it fight it's going to be a dangerous animal and unfortunately there are low lifes that do this to pit bulls.

so anyway , at least here is some positive press Pet PitBull - Positive Press

Old 05-07-2010, 08:32 PM

2,159 posts, read 3,846,839 times
Kudos for you for at least actually getting to know a bully first hand to learn that it isn't the breed that makes ANY dog a certain way and for giving a bully a home

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpbdrummer View Post
I used to be just as ignorant when it came to APBT's, I only knew what I saw on the news, a pitbull was going to eat my kid, cats, cars and anything else it could kill. But then I got one, kind of by accident. A friend of my wife called us asking if we could keep a dog for her till she found a home, she and her boyfriend broke up and he couldnt keep the dog so he was going to take her to the pound.

at first I said no way and then i let the dog stay with us for the night, next day I called my wife and told her to call her friend and tell her the dog has a home with us. Since then we too another one from someone trying to find a home for him.

best dogs ever, i would never own another breed again. I know i wont convince anyone that they arent the vicious killers you see on the news because nobody would have convinced me either. people believe everything the media says. Do I agree that there are pit bulls that are dangerous? absolutely, but you take most any animal, chain it in a yard, abuse it and make it fight it's going to be a dangerous animal and unfortunately there are low lifes that do this to pit bulls.

so anyway , at least here is some positive press Pet PitBull - Positive Press

Old 05-07-2010, 08:46 PM

51 posts, read 70,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NEOhioBound View Post
Kudos for you for at least actually getting to know a bully first hand to learn that it isn't the breed that makes ANY dog a certain way and for giving a bully a home
2 of em...

Old 05-07-2010, 09:02 PM

122 posts, read 174,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigskydude View Post

Everybody knows that Pits aren't exactly the sharpest tools in the shed you know .. Just Sayin' ..
And you are obtaining this information from? How much experience do YOU have with the breed? Pit bulls excel at any task given to them be it hog hunting, flyball, dock diving, agility, therapy, obedience, etc. There are many stories of pit bull saving their master's lives. Contrary to what you know, pit bulls are very intelligent dogs. This is not saying there aren't other breeds that aren't as intelligent.

Your theories don't hold water "just sayin".

Since you have such big balls (or think you do) I would LOVE for you to take a shot at a pit bull that has not posed a threat to you. I would LOVE for that owner to take your ass to court and sue the living heck out of you.

BSL has proved to be worthless because people simply go on to other breeds that can be just as menacing.

I can show stats regarding attacks from pit bulls to blow your theories out of the water.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies