Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2010, 02:41 PM

25,947 posts, read 24,745,361 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
Well, we found our pit bull sick, emaciated and about to be euthenized in the county shelter. I guess I should have just passed on her because she was a pit and she was 'ugly', like all the other people before me had done. Maybe I should have adopted a 'pretty' dog that will make everyone say 'awwww' at the very sight of it.

Of course, that 'ugly' dog has been one of the best dogs I've EVER had the pleasure to have as a companion. Just like I don't judge friends on what they look like, I don't judge a dog on it's breed.

ALL dogs are a danger. Every single one of them. They are predators, you know...even cute little Corgis. A lot of dogs share the characteristics of pit bulls, so everything gets blamed on them. Hell, my parents old chocolate lab (which was purebred) got mistaken by a pit bull on more than one occasion.
I didn't say one should kill dogs already alive. I just said one should not breed certain dogs anymore, so they gradually disappear.
Dog breeds do have different characters, after all the breeding originally had quite specific reasons, be it hunting, protecting, guiding, or whatever. Some breeds are known for their peaceful social nature, others not. That is not to say there are no dangerous Spitz and peaceful pit bulls, but they do have different basic characters. They also vary in intelligence, some breeds are smart and patient enough for becoming guide dogs, others not, some tend to be submissive, others dominating...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2010, 02:56 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,628,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
I didn't say one should kill dogs already alive. I just said one should not breed certain dogs anymore, so they gradually disappear.
Dog breeds do have different characters, after all the breeding originally had quite specific reasons, be it hunting, protecting, guiding, or whatever. Some breeds are known for their peaceful social nature, others not. That is not to say there are no dangerous Spitz and peaceful pit bulls, but they do have different basic characters. They also vary in intelligence, some breeds are smart and patient enough for becoming guide dogs, others not, some tend to be submissive, others dominating...
Personally, I don't think ANY dogs should be bred until the overpopulation problem is taken care of. Unfortunately, biology dictates that animals breed regardless of whether a human initiates it or not.

Pit bulls are also currently working as guide dogs, therapy dogs and rescue dogs. Pit bulls are known for their patience and willingness to please, which is why they're so popular for fighting. A pit bull will do ANYTHING it's owner tells it too...even fight to the death.

My mother works at a convalescent home and they currently have two pit bulls that are therapy dogs. Such sweet dogs, too

Old 05-05-2010, 03:20 PM

25,947 posts, read 24,745,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
Personally, I don't think ANY dogs should be bred until the overpopulation problem is taken care of. Unfortunately, biology dictates that animals breed regardless of whether a human initiates it or not.

Pit bulls are also currently working as guide dogs, therapy dogs and rescue dogs. Pit bulls are known for their patience and willingness to please, which is why they're so popular for fighting. A pit bull will do ANYTHING it's owner tells it too...even fight to the death.

My mother works at a convalescent home and they currently have two pit bulls that are therapy dogs. Such sweet dogs, too
I have never seen a pit bull used as a guide dog Usually they are retrievers or German shepherds, maybe Collies... I guess the problem with pit bulls is that most people are afraid of them. When dogs move among many people, it is important they are accepted by society.

Old 05-05-2010, 04:07 PM

4,489 posts, read 10,946,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
I have never seen a pit bull used as a guide dog Usually they are retrievers or German shepherds, maybe Collies... I guess the problem with pit bulls is that most people are afraid of them. When dogs move among many people, it is important they are accepted by society.
There is one in my dog therapy group that is a seizure alert dog. (You can't train them to react to seizures, of course, but she's trained in HOW to react--she'll grab her owner's shirt and drag her to a quiet place where she can sit down safely) She's a total love bug, and the best behaved dog in our group. We visit nursing homes, and she's the best dog to introduce to the seniors who are afraid of dogs, because she's the least likely to bark or jump or squirm when someone tries to pet her or feed her.

Not a guide dog, but still an assistance dog.

Old 05-05-2010, 04:21 PM

4,002 posts, read 3,905,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tablemtn View Post
When I was a teenager, I got attacked by a presa canario that had fled its enclosure.

Fortunately, I saw it coming, and had time to grab a plank of wood, and give it a hard thwack over its head... which did very little.

After jabbing at it a couple times, I dropped the plank. Not knowing what else to do, I tried to fall on top of the dog's back, and push it to the ground.

As it happens, those dogs are incredibly strong, and it immediately began to buck me off.

However, I did manage to wrap my right elbow around its neck, and by using my other arm like a lever on the back of its head, I managed to get its head pinioned, and after what seemed like a very long time, it stopped thrashing around.

I wasn't badly injured, but what galled me the most was that - even though I filed a police report - the owners were only given a relatively small fine. I probably should have gone for a lawsuit, but I went to high school with some of their kids, and I knew for a fact they were basically broke.

So... it can be done. But probably not with multiple dogs, or if you are taken by surprise. I suppose the critical thing is to get control of the dog's neck. If you can do that (and MAINTAIN control, which is no easy task), you can keep its mouth and jaws away from your limbs (to an extent), and you can begin the process of killing the dog through suffocation.
Precisely why these animals need to be shot on site .. regardless of what they are doing at the time.

Old 05-05-2010, 04:32 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,135,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeledaf View Post
Just in time for spring! Here's a way to help you and your loved ones to avoid being mauled or killed by a vicious pit bull -- or its insane owner....

How to Defeat a Pit Bull with Your Bare Hands by David Schmader - Features - The Stranger, Seattle's Only Newspaper

and, proactively, here's how to deal with the mouth-breathing nutballs who actually prefer killer dogs to people who don't want to have their children's throats ripped open....

How to Defeat Someone Made Furious by "How to Defeat a Pit Bull with Your Bare Hands" by David Schmader - Features - The Stranger, Seattle's Only Newspaper
They need to rename the article "How to absolutely, positively get killed by a Pitbull".

It is painfully obvious that the author of this crap has never, ONCE, in his entire, pathetic life been attacked by any dog, let alone a Pitbull. Unless you are a very, very large, very, very strong man, you are not going to be able to impact the attack physically. The ONLY option that makes even a modicum of sense is to "stand on a car".

Anyone would be a fool - and a maimed and probably dead fool to follow any of this stupid, stupid, stupid advice.

20yrsinBranson

Old 05-05-2010, 04:35 PM

4,002 posts, read 3,905,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by getmeoutofhere View Post
I'd rather just shoot people like you on sight.
I suppose .. but Pit Bulls are man's own creation .. Pit Bulls are a prime example of what man "shouldn't" be doing when manipulating breeds.

Owning an aggressive animals like Pit Bull Terriers, should be against the law entirely.
There are many cities and towns across the West that absolutely forbid Pit bulls to reside within their city limits .. if a Pit Bull is found to be residing within the city limits? .. Animal Control takes the dog and euthanize's it.

As for me? .. I live out in the county .. and I find it to be much less expensive to just shoot them.

Old 05-05-2010, 05:36 PM

4,272 posts, read 3,787,918 times
How do you defeat a pit bull with your bare hands?

Take away her lipstick...

Old 05-05-2010, 06:12 PM

2,154 posts, read 4,425,882 times
Bullys are the best breed

Old 05-05-2010, 06:35 PM

20,169 posts, read 24,330,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NEOhioBound View Post
Bullys are the best breed
Ask any taxidermist.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies