U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2010, 06:31 PM

86,093 posts, read 72,284,183 times

Advertisements

Touche Walidm

I just wish more of the high tech and future research were staying here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2010, 06:36 PM

12,646 posts, read 13,892,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Touche Walidm

I just wish more of the high tech and future research were staying here.
so do I Tex, so do I.

Old 04-14-2010, 07:19 PM

1,842 posts, read 1,494,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by walidm View Post
so do I Tex, so do I.
me too but too much of it is leaving.

Old 04-14-2010, 08:37 PM

86,093 posts, read 72,284,183 times
I'm glad there are jobs being created but I see most of the high paying white collar, future looking stuff going overseas.

I don't think we're going to be leading this next revolution in green, alternative energies.

Old 04-14-2010, 08:43 PM

19,891 posts, read 16,269,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by walidm View Post
Source
Seems to be working thus far...
Or maybe not.....

Markets could be derailed again, warns Soros | Analysis & Opinion |

Old 04-14-2010, 09:11 PM

44,924 posts, read 28,118,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bentlebee View Post
Today's subject is jobs. As even the dimmest among you are aware, we're in a jobless recovery, which means that economic activity is picking up, but businesses just aren't hiring enough workers to bring down the unemployment rate to an acceptable level.

Between now and the November elections, Republicans will blame Democrats for this mess, and Democrats will say that it's all the Republicans' fault. The decibel level will be excruciating. If you're among those who would rather argue than understand, don't waste your time or my energy; get up now and leave through the side door. But if you really want to understand why we're not creating new jobs fast enough, put aside your politics and let me teach you the one thing about economics you should have learned in high school.

American Thinker: An Economics Lecture No Student Will Ever Hear
Now that is a lecture I could sit through with no trouble. However, I wouldn't take my cell phone along, either.

Old 04-14-2010, 09:15 PM

44,924 posts, read 28,118,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redrover View Post
I noticed that nowhere in that very concise and well-written explanation of our economy were the words, "too big to fail." Once upon a time the same would likely have been said about Enron, yet fail it did and for a whole host of reasons having to do with criminal mismanagement, both benign and deliberate. Why then was GM then deemed too big to fail in an economy that should be driven by a company's ability to implement sound business practices which obviously they weren't. Years ago when I was in college, I got a monthly check from home. One sad day I got into a poker game and lost my entire month's allowance. Did I ask my parents for more money to "keep playing?" Heck no, I just did without for three very long weeks and never played poker for money again. That is what companies (and for that matter governments) need to do - cut back, do without and learn from their mistakes.
I don't want to sound like a smart ass but it wasn't Obama and the Dems in control of Congress that were around when Enron failed. Also, the day that the government lets GM go private again I will believe that they didn't have some ulterior motives in that take over.

That was surely a horrible thing you brought upon yourself. Most kids would have made up some big lie and asked for more money. You are a hero. Did you ever tell your parents about that one?

Old 04-14-2010, 09:22 PM

11,145 posts, read 13,876,936 times
This isn't a very insightful article and it's certainly nothing new to college students. Pretty basic economics, actually. I mean, the economy retracted significantly. The simlified notion that you just "create an environment" for entrepreneurs to hire when the economy's retracting and everybody's shedding jobs doesn't exist in reality. There's no amount of tax cuts or incentives one can create without massive spending.

The smarter move is to accept that the market isn't going to be creating jobs in the near term and use the federal government to minimize the loss of those jobs until the market can recover.

That's what we did and we are emerging from a jobless recovery. The process of recovery is very predictable and the jobless phase is only temporary. As such, many companies are ramping up to start hiring. Growth has outpaced expectations when Obama took office by more than 1% and major businesses are reloading to hire.

Old 04-14-2010, 09:26 PM

11,145 posts, read 13,876,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
I'm glad there are jobs being created but I see most of the high paying white collar, future looking stuff going overseas.

I don't think we're going to be leading this next revolution in green, alternative energies.
We definitely could be, but there is such a cultural resistant on the conservative side to green, alternative energies that many put their energy into fighting more regulation rather than building the businesses that create the clean energy.

Seems like a perfect fit for our country regardless of whether ice caps are melting or not, but there is too much addiction to the status quo in this country now regarding energy. We've lost our spirit of innovation and entrepreneurialship.

Old 04-14-2010, 09:28 PM

25,165 posts, read 48,304,761 times
Corporations are making money because of off-shoring.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies