Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2010, 08:00 PM

5 posts, read 7,787 times

Advertisements

O.k people, what's the different between gay and a trans gender person? Both are unnatural if you ask me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2010, 08:02 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,624,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by micktosin View Post
O.k people, what's the different between gay and a trans gender person? Both are unnatural if you ask me.
Oh my. Is that a serious question?

Old 04-16-2010, 05:58 PM

13,053 posts, read 12,928,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artsyguy View Post
Don't be ignorant. Psychiatrists and most mental health practitioners are full of crap.
YouTube - Psychiatry the fraud
This I will agree with. It isn't a science, it has no place in such realms.

Now that doesn't mean that it can't be helpful to some, but it isn't a consistent study to which provides consistent results nor assessments.

I place it in the area of "art" as it can be appealing to some, but each work is not appealing to all.

Old 04-16-2010, 06:18 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,875,707 times
Excellent points.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomander View Post

Now that doesn't mean that it can't be helpful to some, but it isn't a consistent study to which provides consistent results nor assessments.

I place it in the area of "art" as it can be appealing to some, but each work is not appealing to all.

Old 04-16-2010, 08:07 PM

4,792 posts, read 5,889,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by betamanlet View Post
Transgendered people are mentally ill, and need psychological help, not hormones and surgery.

It's like if a white person thought they were really black, and had surgeries etc. to make themselves look black. Or any other race, thinking they are another one, and doing something, using surgical, about it.

There's something wrong with you if you would multilate/change your body because you cannot accept who you are.

These people need psychological help, not medical services, or "understanding" other than understanding that they need to be helped, not enabled.
YOU need help pulling your head out from you know where !

Old 04-16-2010, 08:30 PM

3,849 posts, read 3,745,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
I love all of the negative comments from people who probably have never known anyone who is transgender. It's so easy to be smug and negatively judge people, isn't it?
Having communicated with and over a 10 year period become friends with a transgender person, some of the remarks on this thread are literally making me ill. I've sent her an email with a link to the forum - hope she can come and explain to these people that it is her very life they are trashing. She was born a he, but is now in her early 60s (I think) and has lived as a woman for over 40 years, without the hormones and/or surgery. And, if I recall her explanation of the different terms transgender and transsexual correctly, the first is one like her who lives as the opposite to that which they were born, but doesn't bother with the surgery or hormones. The one who goes through all of the transitioning, from hormones to surgery and what-not is a transsexual.

Old 04-16-2010, 08:35 PM

8,299 posts, read 8,591,512 times
Quote:
It is evident, you have to stretch to claim it isn't. A person who is a man who thinks they are woman.
It's not as if a transgendered person doesn't NOT realize that, for example, he has the body of a man but feels female. That isn't the issue. It's reconciling the incongruence, which can be remedied.

Quote:
Now your article uses all types of possible causation to this be it a genetic, chemical, or social. All are imbalances, arguing that it is not is just being silly. They are abnormal in their thought process which may or may not be due physical/chemical imbalance. It is evident they are imbalanced, they are ill in their thought process regardless of the cause.
Once again, not an mental illness, not a disorder per se.

Quote:
The thought process is the same. The mental illness is the same. A person is one thing, but believes they are another. Sorry, no way around this. It is relevant.
You could not be anymore reductive if you tried.

Quote:
They seem pretty distressed to me? They can not function in society due to their abnormality. As a previous poster mentioned, all that is being done is applying fancy terms and word stepping to avoid dealing with the reality of the issue.
This is not the case for all transgendered people, especially for those who seek to remedy the situation. Did you actually read the quote? "Many transgender people do not experience their transgender feelings and traits to be distressing or disabling . . . " And those who do certainly have some help from all the a**holes who feel the need to judge and discriminate against people who are living their lives in a way that has zero impact on those a**holes' everyday lives.

Quote:
This is why psychology is not a science. It deals in fluff and never is truly able to substantiate its positions. Its guess after guess to habits and behaviors but honestly has no clue as to factual assessment. So please excuse me if I do not bow down to the APA.
You think that the study of transgenderism is limited to the stuff that comes out of basic talk therapy? Yeah, there's no linkage between cognitive psychology and neuroscience today.

Quote:
The issues are evident in behavior, the cause can be discussed, but to claim this is normal and not a form of illness is simply absurd. these people are sick and need help, not encouragement of their derangement.
More assumptions on your part.

Last edited by helenejen; 04-16-2010 at 08:59 PM..

Old 04-16-2010, 08:36 PM

3,849 posts, read 3,745,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by betamanlet View Post
You don't think there's ANYTHING wrong with someone who wants to have their penis removed and a vagina put in its place, as well as taking massive amount of hormones which are proven to cause cancer and heart disease?
And unless they are asking YOU to pay for that surgery and the hormone therapy, what the hell business is it of yours? In what way does it harm YOU for someone you don't even know to go through with sexual reassignment? (Which btw makes them transsexual, not transgender.)

Old 04-16-2010, 08:49 PM

8,299 posts, read 8,591,512 times
Quote:

Why are you so binary in your thinking? Art and science aren't mutually exclusive. For example,

"JAMA's Key and Critical Objectives: Key Objective
To promote the science and art of medicine and the betterment of the public health."

JAMA -- About JAMA

Old 04-16-2010, 09:44 PM

9,882 posts, read 10,799,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cleanhouse View Post
'I am transgender, and I want my voice to be heard' - CNN.com

Do you believe Transgendered people are discriminated against?

I tend to agree with this sentiment:

"People get really wrapped up in their minds about people who are qu r-identified or trans-identified," he said. "It doesn't have to be that big of a deal. Correction, it isn't that big of a deal."
Oh please give it a rest, go to msnbc, they are evidently ground zero for giving voice to the transgendered........post-op ,pre-op who the hell even knows what stages or direction olberman and maddow are in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies