Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2010, 02:31 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,101,577 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbrauer View Post
So they dumped tea into Boston Harbor. How does this relate to the "Tea Party" movement of today?

Inquiring minds want to know.
For the same reason Democrats call themself Democrats even though we arent a Democratic nation, nor is the party..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2010, 02:33 PM

45,223 posts, read 26,437,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by le roi View Post
thing is, though, any idiot with a microphone can talk about lowering taxes.

the real issues are what services to cut.

one of my biggest taxes is Medicare. Yet I see tea partiers with signs saying, "Don't cut Medicare." I find it puzzling.
If you paid into something with the promise of a return later on, why would it be "puzzling" to have the expectation of it being there?

Old 04-14-2010, 02:33 PM

22,768 posts, read 30,730,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcsldcd View Post
You will need the Medicare you pay into some day if you live that long.
you don't know that. we have no idea what the US healthcare system will look like, if I live that long.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
If you paid into something with the promise of a return later on, why would it be "puzzling" to have the expectation of it being there?
that does not reflect reality. if I pay $40,000 into Medicare during my working years, you won't see me picketing with a sign when I'm 50, demanding $250,000 worth of Medicare benefits. These numbers are arbitrary, but the fact is many of these "low tax tea partiers" are trying to take far more out of the system than they ever paid in.

Many older americans have this sense of entitlement based on a fantasy about what y'all actually contributed.

Old 04-14-2010, 02:37 PM

3,378 posts, read 5,009,205 times
It's pretty easy really.

The Boston Tea Party was carried out because of the tax rates the English implemented on tea. So it was a tax revolt in 1773, as in "we aren't paying for anymore of this overtaxed garbage".

Thus Tea Party movements today, it's symbolic. I see nothing wrong with a tax revolt in our times, if anything we need it, badly.

Old 04-14-2010, 02:38 PM

1,089 posts, read 655,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
For the same reason Democrats call themself Democrats even though we arent a Democratic nation, nor is the party..
Huh? That's no answer. Besides saying we arn't a Democratic nation, is only half correct.

Please try better next time.

Old 04-14-2010, 02:39 PM

1,611 posts, read 4,853,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by le roi View Post
one of my biggest taxes is Medicare. Yet I see tea partiers with signs saying, "Don't cut Medicare." I find it puzzling.
It shouldn't really be all that puzzling when you have several generations of workers who have had part of their salaries confiscated to put into a fund that was supposed to make their retirement years more comfortable. Both Social Security and Medicare were created because too many workers didn't have the will power to set aside money on their own to support themselves when they no longer worked. So after decades of paying into a system that they expected to provide support and care in their retirements, they get kinda pissed off hearing that they won't actually be getting the money they were promised. It is all about broken promises. Retirement age workers don't have the option of getting a "do-over" or of making more fiscally responsible choices once they have left the workforce.

Old 04-14-2010, 02:41 PM

11,449 posts, read 14,465,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbrauer View Post
So they dumped tea into Boston Harbor. How does this relate to the "Tea Party" movement of today?

Inquiring minds want to know.
Because they are totally clueless.

Old 04-14-2010, 02:41 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,045,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller1 View Post
Taxed
Enough
Already
Now I'm confused. On one thread the right is bemoaning the fact that only 47% of the American public pays income taxes. Then I listen to the teabaggers and the argument that they are paying too much. So should I assume that teabaggers represent the upper 50% of the income bracket?

Old 04-14-2010, 02:43 PM

2,724 posts, read 6,112,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert kid View Post
It's pretty easy really.

The Boston Tea Party was carried out because of the tax rates the English implemented on tea. So it was a tax revolt in 1773, as in "we aren't paying for anymore of this overtaxed garbage".
"No taxation without representation". The revolt was because they weren't represented in Parliament.

Old 04-14-2010, 02:43 PM

1,089 posts, read 655,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert kid View Post
It's pretty easy really.

Thus Tea Party movements today, it's symbolic. I see nothing wrong with a tax revolt in our times, if anything we need it, badly.
The tea from the British East India Co. was tax free, so why did the colonists dump the tea in the Boston Harbor?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies