U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2010, 02:43 PM

4,608 posts, read 7,271,153 times

Advertisements

Inquiring minds use multiple search engines for a broad range of responses to gather information for analysis to development intelligent conclusions.

If you don't know the relationship between the original Boston Tea Party of 1773 and the Tea Party's of today then you've fairly discredited most of your posts and criticisms in the forum.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2010, 02:49 PM

24,843 posts, read 32,280,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
Now I'm confused. On one thread the right is bemoaning the fact that only 47% of the American public pays income taxes. Then I listen to the teabaggers and the argument that they are paying too much. So should I assume that teabaggers represent the upper 50% of the income bracket?
Assume as you will.

I am a Teabagger because of many things. Taxes are one of them.

The 47% is federal income tax, there are many taxes.

Myself I favor smaller federal government.

I favor following the Constitution.

Some feel we are anti goverment.

What is MORE anti government than the Constitution???

Old 04-14-2010, 02:51 PM

1,089 posts, read 522,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WillysB View Post
If you don't know the relationship between the original Boston Tea Party of 1773 and the Tea Party's of today then you've fairly discredited most of your posts and criticisms in the forum.
Why don't you write something substantive rather that throw your lame rhetoric?

Old 04-14-2010, 02:53 PM

9,644 posts, read 8,581,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
Now I'm confused. On one thread the right is bemoaning the fact that only 47% of the American public pays income taxes. Then I listen to the teabaggers and the argument that they are paying too much. So should I assume that teabaggers represent the upper 50% of the income bracket?
Taxes are not the only reason they attend them and many are concerned about the taxes they will be paying in the future.

Old 04-14-2010, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jadex View Post
Taxes are not the only reason they attend them and many are concerned about the taxes they will be paying in the future.
And there are people who of others too. Not just themselves!!!

The future of our children comes to mind.

Old 04-14-2010, 03:00 PM

1,089 posts, read 522,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jadex View Post
The question isn't about attendance, it's about why they call themselves the 'Tea Party.' Please try to stay on topic.

Old 04-14-2010, 03:30 PM

412 posts, read 355,410 times
They call themselves a "Tea Party" because they are under two delusions. First, that the Boston Tea Party was about "too much taxation" when in fact it occurred after most of the Townshend taxes were repealed, and the Tea Act actually made the tea cheaper. The Boston Tea Party was purely ideological and symbolic, protesting because they had no representation in parliament, not because the taxes were particularly heavy.
The second delusion is that taxes have risen in any significant manner under Obama. In short, it's just a sham excuse to hate Obama for the usual partisan reasons.

Old 04-14-2010, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WatermelonRat View Post
They call themselves a "Tea Party" because they are under two delusions. First, that the Boston Tea Party was about "too much taxation" when in fact it occurred after most of the Townshend taxes were repealed, and the Tea Act actually made the tea cheaper. The Boston Tea Party was purely ideological and symbolic, protesting because they had no representation in parliament, not because the taxes were particularly heavy.
The second delusion is that taxes have risen in any significant manner under Obama. In short, it's just a sham excuse to hate Obama for the usual partisan reasons.
I don't need an excuse to hate Obama.

Old 04-14-2010, 03:44 PM

8,743 posts, read 10,242,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller1 View Post
And there are people who of others too. Not just themselves!!!

The future of our children comes to mind.
Were you worried about your childrens future when Bush was spending? Were you protesting under Bush? Or just now because it is Obama?

Old 04-14-2010, 03:45 PM

9,522 posts, read 7,767,134 times
I disagree. Speaking purely for myself, it isn't because of any taxes that have "risen in any significant manner under obama", it is the incredible spending of nonexistent money, that is going to have to be paid back someday, and the taxes that our children and grandchildren and great grandchildren are going to have to live with to pay back what he and his congressional cronies are spending!
I have had it with "deficit spending". I can't do it, YOU can't do it, I see no reason why the government should be able to do it, except in times of national emergency (like war, but ONLY a war actually DECLARED by Congress)!
obama certainly isn't the first of the "We can make money from nothing" politicians. However, he ran on a "hope and change" platform, so we had the right to hope for change. Instead, we get more of the same ol' same ol'.
No, I don't like him. I never have. I consider him to be an empty suit topped by a golden throat, a big mouth, and an empty head. Like al professional politicians, the truth is not in him.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies