Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2010, 09:39 AM

3,565 posts, read 4,834,819 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPD View Post
I've never met anyone who thinks way that and neither have you. I know a bunch of people who wish it were so, but not a single one who actually believes it.
I do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2010, 10:19 AM

10,908 posts, read 9,518,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPD View Post
I've never met anyone who thinks way that and neither have you. I know a bunch of people who wish it were so, but not a single one who actually believes it.
Perhaps broadening your circle of acquaintances would help. Or just listening to your president, since that is what he is trying real hard not say but what he obliviously believes.

Old 04-15-2010, 10:29 AM

22,230 posts, read 17,783,848 times
The fact that the US is the dominant military power in the world, we have a responsibility, like it or not, to be conscious of, and cautious, in how we handle that responsibility.

Old 04-15-2010, 10:44 AM

1,089 posts, read 652,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citizenkane2 View Post

YouTube - Obama Says: "Whether We Like it Or Not, We Remain a Dominant Military Superpower"

Like it or not??? WHAT KINDA LANGUAGE IS THAT FOR OUR PRESIDENT TO HAVE???? It's like he wants us to be like everybody else! Reducing our arsenals.....running up our debt so that foreigners own us......killing the space program!!

This cat does not like his country!!
Bull dung, as usual from the extreme right, the quote is taken of context. You anti-Americans should be ashamed of yourselves.
Q Thank you, Mr. President. Good afternoon. Given the progress you have cited in recent days on your foreign policy agenda, to what extent do you feel like you have gained political capital with which to take further to the international stage for the rest of this year, to perhaps rejuvenate some initiatives in trouble spots such as the Middle East and elsewhere?

THE PRESIDENT: Well, I think the work that we've done in recent days around nuclear security and nuclear disarmament are intrinsically good. They're good just in and of themselves. And so we're very pleased with the progress that we've made. And we could not have done this without extraordinary cooperation first from President Medvedev when it came to the START treaty, and then from my colleagues who were here today when it came to this Nuclear Security Summit.

What I think it signifies is the fact that so many of the challenges that we face internationally can't be solved by one nation alone. But I do think that America's leadership is important in order to get issues on the international agenda and to move in concert with other countries to have an effective response.

There are a host of other issues, obviously, that have to be addressed and one of the points that was made actually during the communiqué is we're talking here about the instruments of potential war or terrorism, but obviously there are also the reasons, the rationales, the excuses for conflict, that have to be addressed as well.

And I remain committed to being a partner with countries around the world, and in particular hot spots around the world, to see if we can reduce those tensions and ultimately resolve those conflicts. And the Middle East would be a prime example. I think that the need for peace between Israelis and Palestinians and the Arab states remains as critical as ever.

It is a very hard thing to do. And I know that even if we are applying all of our political capital to that issue, the Israeli people through their government, and the Palestinian people through the Palestinian Authority, as well as other Arab states, may say to themselves, we are not prepared to resolve this -- these issues -- no matter how much pressure the United States brings to bear.

And the truth is, in some of these conflicts the United States can't impose solutions unless the participants in these conflicts are willing to break out of old patterns of antagonism. I think it was former Secretary of State Jim Baker who said, in the context of Middle East peace, we can't want it more than they do.

But what we can make sure of is, is that we are constantly present, constantly engaged, and setting out very clearly to both sides our belief that not only is it in the interests of each party to resolve these conflicts but it's also in the interest of the United States. It is a vital national security interest of the United States to reduce these conflicts because whether we like it or not, we remain a dominant military superpower, and when conflicts break out, one way or another we get pulled into them. And that ends up costing us significantly in terms of both blood and treasure.

So I'm going to keep on at it. But I think on all these issues -- nuclear disarmament, nuclear proliferation, Middle East peace -- progress is going to be measured not in days, not in weeks. It's going to take time. And progress will be halting. And sometimes we'll take one step forward and two steps back, and there will be frustrations. And so it's not going to run on the typical cable news 24/7 news cycle. But if we're persistent, and we've got the right approach, then over time, I think that we can make progress.

All right? Thank you very much, everybody.

Old 04-15-2010, 10:46 AM

2,347 posts, read 2,773,055 times
I think many of you are just ashamed to have a black President. There I said it.

Old 04-15-2010, 10:59 AM
JPD

12,138 posts, read 18,215,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arjay51 View Post
Perhaps broadening your circle of acquaintances would help. Or just listening to your president, since that is what he is trying real hard not say but what he obliviously believes.

No thanks. I prefer to associate with people who understand that there are some things in this world (such as the existence of nuclear weapons) in this world that we would be better off without.

In other words, I like my friends and acquaintances to be rational people.

Obama has his flaws, but you're wrong about him on this one.

Old 04-15-2010, 11:00 AM

1,089 posts, read 652,097 times
Here's proof that FAUX News is nothing more than a propaganda arm of the Gee Oh Pee.

Their motto: "We distort, you decide"

FOXNews.com - Obama: America a Superpower 'Whether We Like It or Not'

Old 04-15-2010, 11:01 AM

3,565 posts, read 4,834,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lmkcin View Post
I think many of you are just ashamed to have a black President. There I said it.
Might want to ask the OP.

Old 04-15-2010, 11:06 AM

2,125 posts, read 1,933,245 times
Man, this forum is like ramping up the crazy every day.

Old 04-15-2010, 11:06 AM

11,754 posts, read 14,570,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbrauer View Post
Bull dung, as usual from the extreme right, the quote is taken of context. You anti-Americans should be ashamed of yourselves.
Q Thank you, Mr. President. Good afternoon. Given the progress you have cited in recent days on your foreign policy agenda, to what extent do you feel like you have gained political capital with which to take further to the international stage for the rest of this year, to perhaps rejuvenate some initiatives in trouble spots such as the Middle East and elsewhere?

THE PRESIDENT: Well, I think the work that we've done in recent days around nuclear security and nuclear disarmament are intrinsically good. They're good just in and of themselves. And so we're very pleased with the progress that we've made. And we could not have done this without extraordinary cooperation first from President Medvedev when it came to the START treaty, and then from my colleagues who were here today when it came to this Nuclear Security Summit.

What I think it signifies is the fact that so many of the challenges that we face internationally can't be solved by one nation alone. But I do think that America's leadership is important in order to get issues on the international agenda and to move in concert with other countries to have an effective response.

There are a host of other issues, obviously, that have to be addressed and one of the points that was made actually during the communiqué is we're talking here about the instruments of potential war or terrorism, but obviously there are also the reasons, the rationales, the excuses for conflict, that have to be addressed as well.

And I remain committed to being a partner with countries around the world, and in particular hot spots around the world, to see if we can reduce those tensions and ultimately resolve those conflicts. And the Middle East would be a prime example. I think that the need for peace between Israelis and Palestinians and the Arab states remains as critical as ever.

It is a very hard thing to do. And I know that even if we are applying all of our political capital to that issue, the Israeli people through their government, and the Palestinian people through the Palestinian Authority, as well as other Arab states, may say to themselves, we are not prepared to resolve this -- these issues -- no matter how much pressure the United States brings to bear.

And the truth is, in some of these conflicts the United States can't impose solutions unless the participants in these conflicts are willing to break out of old patterns of antagonism. I think it was former Secretary of State Jim Baker who said, in the context of Middle East peace, we can't want it more than they do.

But what we can make sure of is, is that we are constantly present, constantly engaged, and setting out very clearly to both sides our belief that not only is it in the interests of each party to resolve these conflicts but it's also in the interest of the United States. It is a vital national security interest of the United States to reduce these conflicts because whether we like it or not, we remain a dominant military superpower, and when conflicts break out, one way or another we get pulled into them. And that ends up costing us significantly in terms of both blood and treasure.

So I'm going to keep on at it. But I think on all these issues -- nuclear disarmament, nuclear proliferation, Middle East peace -- progress is going to be measured not in days, not in weeks. It's going to take time. And progress will be halting. And sometimes we'll take one step forward and two steps back, and there will be frustrations. And so it's not going to run on the typical cable news 24/7 news cycle. But if we're persistent, and we've got the right approach, then over time, I think that we can make progress.

All right? Thank you very much, everybody.
Absolutely correct.

The anti-Obama statements on this thread are either intentional misinterpretations of what he said or just plain stupid comments.

How many of you disagree with this?

Quote:
when conflicts break out, one way or another we get pulled into them. And that ends up costing us significantly in terms of both blood and treasure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies