Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2008, 04:52 PM

1,008 posts, read 3,623,185 times

Advertisements

Yes a lot of us are angry at the outcome of proposition 8 and hopefully we can settle down at pointing fingers. Yes a dissapointing setback of civil rights for many of your own country men and women, but hopefully more people get to learn about Gay Marriage and why is it really important. So please I beg anyone who doesn't understand why Gay Marriage is that important to read this wonderful (not long) essay, a good read.

http://www.bidstrup.com/marriage.htm
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2008, 04:58 PM

2,403 posts, read 5,239,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyrusjul View Post
Yes a lot of us are angry at the outcome of proposition 8 and hopefully we can settle down at pointing fingers. Yes a dissapointing setback of civil rights for many of your own country men and women, but hopefully more people get to learn about Gay Marriage and why is it really important. So please I beg anyone who doesn't understand why Gay Marriage is that important to read this wonderful (not long) essay, a good read.

Gay Marriage: The Arguments and the Motives
Thanks for that. Sums it up pretty well.

Old 11-10-2008, 05:08 PM

706 posts, read 1,241,203 times
If you are going to promote gay marriage, then why not bisexual mariage? Or do those pesky bisexuals not deserve protection too?

Old 11-10-2008, 05:25 PM

1,008 posts, read 3,623,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovethetruth View Post
If you are going to promote gay marriage, then why not bisexual mariage? Or do those pesky bisexuals not deserve protection too?
Bisexuals can marry a man or a woman right now. If Gay marriage passes, then they can marry a man or awoman of the same sex, if they can. I am not promoting anything, this not a sell offer, this a civil rights matter.

Old 11-10-2008, 05:38 PM

5,408 posts, read 12,661,015 times
Quote:
whats bisexual marriage?

a bisexual person can love either sexed individual. so if im a bisexual woman, i can marry a man(which is legal), but i wouldnt be able to marry a woman(was legal in CA). so to ensure my rights as a bisexual i would just join the gay bandwagon to ensure marriage equality. that way as a bi women i can marry whomever i want, man or woman.

Old 11-10-2008, 05:53 PM

706 posts, read 1,241,203 times
Why should a bisexual person have to deny one half of their sexuality in order to enjoy the prospect of marriage?

Old 11-10-2008, 06:03 PM

4,050 posts, read 6,137,912 times
Quote:
You're pretty thick, huh? That, or you're not paying attention. At least three people pointed out to you in another thread that when same-sex marriage is legalized, bisexuals will have their rights.

Again, I don't appreciate your insistence on spreading such prejudices. Just saying.

Old 11-10-2008, 06:17 PM

2,054 posts, read 4,577,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyrusjul View Post

Gay Marriage: The Arguments and the Motives
Please, Please Please, ask them to open a gay thread so we don't have to read this crap!

A guy four towns over from me married his dog and his father took matters into his own hands. Is this what you people want?

Salon.com Sex | Doggie style

Old 11-10-2008, 06:20 PM

1,364 posts, read 2,916,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmyankee View Post
Please, Please Please, ask them to open a gay thread so we don't have to read this crap!

A guy four towns over from me married his dog and his father took matters into his own hands. Is this what you people want?

Salon.com Sex | Doggie style
Perhaps if you don't want to read the threads don't click on them?

And comparing being gay to bestiality is one of the sickest most stupid things you can do. Do us all a favor and stay out of these threads.

Old 11-11-2008, 12:40 AM

9,855 posts, read 11,924,870 times
I for one am getting a little fed up with constant comparisons of the injustice dealt to Gays similar to African Americans experience of Slavery, Jim Crow and the disenfranchisement that continues to this day. Being black is 'perfectly' normal. Being Gay may be 'normal' to someone who is Gay but one could argue this point. It is not a point to be argued whether being Black is 'normal'. Slavery was an unnatural condition that was argued against not by the slaves themselves with any real success but by white's with a conscience. Maybe Gays should consider getting the support of Straight advocates and ambassadors rather than to try and take on the existing power structure on their own merits or lack thereof.

I read the essay. All of it. It tries too hard. ALL of the author's suppositions about why Straight people do not support Gay Marriage are contrived and/or outright false. Get over yourselves for a minute and consider for a minute that Straight people aren't totally out to punish or otherwise mistreat Gay people but the standards that have been established to control Straight people would of neccessity be weakened by including Gays. I am not saying I agree, only that I understand why Straight people feel the way they do. For Gays not to understand but to continue to attempt to bend the will of the States cannot be likened to the Civil Rights movement of the 1960's. Blacks were brought to this country against their will, had been imprisoned in slavery for generations and in the decades leading up to 1965 were not being granted the smallest of protections under the law. There are presently lots of legal protections that Gay people can set up for their relationships. It just takes a little more work than for Straight people. I'll stop pointing out the futility of trying to convince Straight lawmakers that being Gay is no different from being Straight when Gay people admit that they really do want to have church weddings just like their Straight friends and that getting Prop 8 is just a prelude to a followup assault on mainstream churches refusal to recognize Gay behavior as acceptable. For that matter, bi-sexuals do not currently have parity with Straight people because as an earlier poster pointed out they still can only marry one person of the opposite sex while their particular orientation recognizes two such attractions. So should bi-sexuals be allowed to enter three-way committed partnerships? Sure, but they cannot call them legal marriages because they are not. Elsewhere Gays are fighting to become Priests, Bishops, Ministers, Elementary School teachers. It is one thing to be an inwardly Gay but outwardly asexual Bishop, it is another thing entirely to want to be an outwardly Gay Bishop and administrate a Diocese that for the better part of a thousand years has lived under the doctrine that says homosexuality is a sin. Fight the good fight if it's really your cause but I think it is telling that after a 1st Round knockdown in a fight for the ages there is so much bewilderment and unfocused flailing. Didja's think it was going to be easy going against hundreds of years of established religion and politics?

H
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies