U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-22-2013, 08:04 AM

3,438 posts, read 4,736,812 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
They usually do pay regressive state and local taxes.

While receiving high FEDERAL benefits $$$$$$$$$$$

( I see you didn't mention FEDERAL income taxes paid )

Old 10-23-2013, 01:08 AM

4,173 posts, read 2,940,911 times
Quote:
... there is an extra tax on my rented home ($1,500/yr) that is not levied on the owner-occupied home next door. Put another way, Michigan takes money from people who can't buy a home and redistributes it to people who own a home.

Can you explain that? Are you billed this directly? Or does the landlord add it to the monthly rent amount?

Or are you referring to the inability to take the homesteaders exemption?

Either way, you should have posted Michigan takes money from people who choose to rent (some do so by choice) and redistributes it to all sorts of people for education, etc. That would be more accurate.

Last edited by shaker281; 10-23-2013 at 01:16 AM..

Old 10-23-2013, 05:14 AM

48,516 posts, read 83,989,888 times
Seems to me that the stinking liberals have tried this since the mid 60's. Its only resulted in more at the bottom alotho bottom is more dollars worth less.Wealth sharing means less at the top and mass at the bottom by its very design of government as the middleman between providers and the dependent.

Old 10-23-2013, 10:23 AM

347 posts, read 415,103 times
Didn't they talk about this during the election? Taxing USA wealthiest would only net 30 or 40 billions dollars. If you multiply by 10 you would only get 400 billion or so. Prez gave that solar company 90 billion...my question is where is America gonna get the other 12 trillion dollars from?

Maybe jobs?, but the current politics allows for overseas jobs and America punishes no company doing business with foreign countries.

Tax companies more?, but they are all ready taxing them higher, that explains the lay offs and cost cutting and penny pinching and overseas jobs given to foreign countries, not to mention consumers spend less.

maybe tax rich again. so 800 billion, where is the other 11.2 trillion going to come from?

Oh and don't forget the MIDDLE CLASS also has increased taxes also. I know everyone is in denial about OUR increasing taxes and we all only blame the rich.

hmmm I wonder?

Old 10-23-2013, 11:08 PM

4,173 posts, read 2,940,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseyexpat View Post
Didn't they talk about this during the election? Taxing USA wealthiest would only net 30 or 40 billions dollars. If you multiply by 10 you would only get 400 billion or so. Prez gave that solar company 90 billion...my question is where is America gonna get the other 12 trillion dollars from?

Maybe jobs?, but the current politics allows for overseas jobs and America punishes no company doing business with foreign countries.

Tax companies more?, but they are all ready taxing them higher, that explains the lay offs and cost cutting and penny pinching and overseas jobs given to foreign countries, not to mention consumers spend less.

maybe tax rich again. so 800 billion, where is the other 11.2 trillion going to come from?

Oh and don't forget the MIDDLE CLASS also has increased taxes also. I know everyone is in denial about OUR increasing taxes and we all only blame the rich.

hmmm I wonder?
Well, if we can only cut the annual deficit by $40 billion, why bother, eh?

Which solar company got $90 Billion from Obama? Are you referring to Solyndra, which was given $529 million under a DOE loan program started by the Bush administration? $26 billion total was allocated under the program for all investments, with $10 billion set aside to cover expected losses. Solyndra barely made a dent in that $10 billion which was wholly expected, given the nature of jumpstarting "innovative technologies". Private investors lost over a billion. It is the way these things work. Did Obama force all those private investors to give Solyndra money too? You never know when cutting edge research will be undermined by unforeseen events. Maybe we should stop all research grants too, after all some of them may fail and become politically unpleasant.

Let's not let facts get in the way of a good story though.

Speaking of facts, where you getting that $12 trillion from? National debt? It is much more than that. You planning to pay off all the debt ever accumulated in a single year? It seems like you're a bit unclear on the numbers. No one with any real knowledge is suggesting that the entire debt can be paid off with additional taxes in a single year. It is going to take a combination of growth, revenues, entitlement changes, defense cuts, cuts in discretionary spending... Things neither party seems prepared to accomplish, as it would require compromise.

Layoffs, cost cutting, penny pinching and outsourcing all began long before Obama, despite large tax cuts beginning in 2001. You may have also forgotten that those tax cuts were extended by Obama. Try to not let all that partisanship completely cloud your vision.

Old 10-24-2013, 08:29 AM

4,245 posts, read 5,990,519 times
Quote:
I say heck yeah for 1 thru 10. Stop drinking the kool-aid. Remind yourself about the theory of marginal utility. The closer your lower-tier maslow needs are to your last dollar the more screwed you are with taxation. These cats in question have their last dollar buried so deep in the cayman islands, even their blow and eastern european hooker habit (higher end needs eh? ) don't come close to them. Unfair/inequitable/uncomfortable as it may seem to not get to buy your toys with the money you "earned" might be, I'd take my ability to wake up and walk outside my dwelling and not find Cali Colombia in every street of this country as a righteous opportunity cost to validating some well-to-do aggressive from having the ability of splurging on his third toy and vacation home. This country needs a labor party like a fat guy needs Gold Bond going up a hill in a Louisiana summer.
ROFTL..outstanding rant! (which i happen to agree with)

Old 10-24-2013, 08:33 AM

4,245 posts, read 5,990,519 times
Quote:
the anti tv people in general crack me up like they aren't spending 2 dollars a day on something else they don't need.
if you don't like tv fine don't own one, but don't act like not spending money on tv but spending that same money on another form of entertainment is any different.
I spend my tv money (dont have a TV or cable either) by upgrading to better tap beer....say Third Shift vs PBR.

Its all about quality of life. I like the conviviality of a tavern vs sitting at home alone watching cable....so theres a tradeoff. Spend money on what you like, but I'm not spending more money....just because everyone has cable/tv doesnt mean I have to, too.

Old 10-24-2013, 08:57 AM

1,566 posts, read 2,779,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dayton Sux View Post
I spend my tv money (dont have a TV or cable either) by upgrading to better tap beer....say Third Shift vs PBR.

Its all about quality of life. I like the conviviality of a tavern vs sitting at home alone watching cable....so theres a tradeoff. Spend money on what you like, but I'm not spending more money....just because everyone has cable/tv doesnt mean I have to, too.
i agree with you completely- you enjoy better beer more than you enjoy tv and that's fine, what you do makes perfect sense.

but so many people say tv costs x dollars a year and in 30 years that could be 30x dollars i have and so they don't get cable/tv while totally ignoring the entertainment they would be buying at a very cheap hourly rate.

life and most of the time enjoying life costs some money. im not saying people should spend money they can't afford, but they shouldn't live like misers for 40 years to maybe one day live long enough to retire a year early.

Old 10-24-2013, 09:47 AM

42,663 posts, read 74,316,376 times
Quote:
Myth. Big Lie. EVERY single person on earth cannot fit inside Texas, thanks to HOAs and government supply controls (zoning).
Texas has no zoning (at the county level, except in extremely limited circumstances).

Old 10-24-2013, 09:52 AM

1,176 posts, read 2,047,212 times
Quote:
Which quintile in this country pays the highest percentage of its income in state and local taxes and which pays the lowest percentage?
Actually, the top earners pay the highest percentage of their income into taxes. Are you trying to say that paying taxes "hurts" the most for the lowest quintile?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or