U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2010, 12:35 PM

4,455 posts, read 3,578,768 times

Advertisements

Fox News has pulled Sean Hannity from his starring role in a tea party rally just one week after Rupert Murdoch said the network should not be supporting the tea party movement.

Fox News Pulls Sean Hannity From Tea Party Rally

Wow, Murdock finally grew a pair...

Last edited by dukester.2; 04-16-2010 at 12:48 PM.. Reason: Mod, could you delete this post. Hadn't realized it is a dupelicate of an existing thread, thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2010, 12:47 PM

15,712 posts, read 9,203,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by florida.bob View Post
A very good illustration of the difference in initiatives. The Coffee party is promoting an exchange of ideas among those attending as opposed to being told what ideas to have, as is the case in TPers.
The Tea Partiers don't tell me what ideas to have. Where did you get that nutty idea?

We passed a Coffee Party protest on the way to the Tea Party protest yesterday. Waved to all 12 of them......

Old 04-16-2010, 01:04 PM

13,053 posts, read 7,773,945 times
Tea Party Mantra:

"When in Doubt,
Run About,
Scream and Shout."

Hot Shu Lu, Hung Dynasty(344BC)

Old 04-16-2010, 06:20 PM

6,745 posts, read 8,271,573 times
From the Cincinnati Tea Party website. LAUGHABLE!!

Cincinnati Tea Party
Quote:
The initial schedule included a book signing, a tea party, and a live television show. Fox News was responsible for all aspects of the book signing and the television show staffing, funding, and producing . The Cincinnati Tea Party was responsible for all aspects of the tea party staffing, funding, and producing. Funding and contracting for these events was separate and no funds or contracts were signed between Fox News and the Cincinnati Tea Party.

Shortly after the scheduled book signing (which was canceled) Fox News producers onsite informed the Cincinnati Tea Party senior leadership that Mr. Hannity had to rush home for a personal emergency. The Cincinnati Tea Party expressed a statement of support and concern to Hannity and family.
....and yet Sean was able to do his broadcast live from New York. I hope everything is alright

Old 04-16-2010, 06:30 PM

15,202 posts, read 18,202,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LIOC View Post
There is a difference between reporting on a story and being part of a story. Hannity was about the cross that line and to be honest lives close to doing so every day.
My response to LB wasn't specifically about Hannity. You should pay a little more attention to what the people you're replying to are actually saying.

Old 04-16-2010, 06:38 PM

15,202 posts, read 18,202,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordBalfor View Post
Nope - DEAD WRONG again (as usual).

As already mentioned by another poster - news reporting is supposed to REPORT the news - not BE the news. That's one of the basic standards of journalistic ethics.

"Distinguish between advocacy and news reporting."

Society of Professional Journalists: Code of Ethics

FOX News has for a while now been treading the line between REPORTING on the movement and PROMOTING the movement - and from time to time stepping OVER that line - sometimes substantially (as was the case here). The very fact that FOX news executives pulled Hannity back to the studio is EVIDENCE that they realized that they CLEARLY crossed that line in this instance. So apparenty even THEY disagree with your assessment - so I would guess that before you accuse others of lack of comprehension you look more closely at YOURSELF in that regard.

If you really think that their assessment of the situation is wrong and yours is right then I suggest you take it up with FOX News management. Free market opportunity or no free market opportunity - broadcasters have a responsibility to abide by journalistic ethics. If they don't, they diminish their credabilty and reduce themselves to the level of publications such as the National Enquirer. YOU obviously don't realize that, but at least the FOX News executives (belatedly) realize that -at least to a degree.

Ken
You missed my point completely - deliberately, I would surmise.

Your frothy-mouth ranting has had you on the edge of my ignore list for a long time. The only reason you're not there yet is because you occasionally say something useful or interesting. It's very rare, though... Almost everything you post is just baseless ranting, and when confronted about it, you change the subject (see above - twice).

Whatever. I know you understood me. If you don't want to address my point, that's fine. I really wouldn't expect you to. If you did, you'd have to admit - publicly - that sometimes the people on the other side of the debate have a valid point, and that's just something you're apparently not capable of doing (I haven't seen it yet).

Have a good weekend...

Old 04-16-2010, 06:49 PM

15,617 posts, read 8,742,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post
Fox is and has been simply capitalizing on the fact that none of the other networks are giving the movement any real coverage.

If you think that Fox has an "incestrious" [sic] relationship with the Tea Party movement, then blame CNN, MSNBC, et al. If they'd respected the movement enough to cover it properly and not belittle it, Fox wouldn't have had the opportunity to monopolize coverage of it.
They weren't covering it, they were organizing it. Big difference.

Old 04-16-2010, 07:14 PM

11,961 posts, read 12,801,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post
Fox is and has been simply capitalizing on the fact that none of the other networks are giving the movement any real coverage.

If you think that Fox has an "incestrious" [sic] relationship with the Tea Party movement, then blame CNN, MSNBC, et al. If they'd respected the movement enough to cover it properly and not belittle it, Fox wouldn't have had the opportunity to monopolize coverage of it.
FOX-N-Friends created the <alleged> movement, but funny how you turned this around in your mind that the whole world owed them something beyond a brief synopsis. Cover it properly? If you stand there making an arse out of yourself via outrageous accusations with no reasons you can think of, expect to be called an arse.
"They" (all other than fox) did cover it. Properly? That would entail sending a team of psychotherapists and sociologists to observe and explain how denial and scapegoat mentalities can manifest itself in political landscape. The rest of America wrote shorthand all on their own without experts- these people are mightily confused about whodunnit. You believe 96% of Americans unwilling to join tea party don't know better than yourself, but you're not an elitist.

If neocon incorporated has seen fit to release their creation and no longer subsidize because it was incest from moment of conception, lets see how valid they are standing on their own feet. They had freebie head start that no other grass roots movement or not for profit could ever dare dream. Freedomworks, palin, coulter-- go on and shake off the fleas. Tea party wouldn't need validation from cult of personality if they had a leg to stand on. I had high hopes they had something real to say, but good thing I didn't hold my breath waiting.

Reguritating think tank talking points= voluntary advertisement of brainwashing. I suspect FOX, like newly elected senator in Mass., are distancing themselves from the legal implications of starting riots. The little birdie whispering sweet nasties in peoples ears isn't immune from the law. The potential fallout from their actions... stay tuned (to support their ratings)!

Create the news, don't just report it! That's entertainment???

Old 04-16-2010, 07:19 PM

2,240 posts, read 2,766,513 times
Wow....Hannity trying to make a buck on company time. Not cool.

Old 04-16-2010, 07:29 PM

6,216 posts, read 6,638,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by florida.bob View Post
I have gone to 2 Coffee Party meetings, the first was about 30 people, where a lot of thoughts were exchanged. It was somewhat disjointed, in terms of establishing positions of common concern. The second, about 15, was much more focused on ideas that could be compiled and forwarded to Congress. Whether that actually happens or not, I certainly don't know. I went to one Tea Party, several months ago, and all I experienced was demonstration against our Govt, with a parade of speakers similarly inclined, a basically one way exchange. At that time, I did not see where they stood on any ideas to effect a change, only that they did not like what was happening. My feeling was, that the movement is basically non-productive and pointless. Simply a demonstration. My opinion of the TPers hasn't changed much, although recently they seem to have moved slightly away from the seedier aspects. If the TPers are able to stay away from that and propose concrete ideas, they may actually have some value. There are areas of common concern among TPer and CPers.
Are you sure it wasn't an AA meeting you accidently attended?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies