U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 04-15-2010, 10:27 PM
 
604 posts, read 657,499 times
Reputation: 261

Advertisements

Lets list somethings that Rome and the USA have/had in common.

Politics-- became complacent and corrupt

Leadership form--- Democracy, although Rome had 2 consuls, they had dictators and emperors like Presidents

Armies- massive, the best

Entertainment- pornography (US) Prostitutes (Rome)

Colliseum- with bloody battles and gory fights
Movies-- SAW VI (all SAWs) horror movies

Economic collapse-- although Rome lasted 200 years with a failing economy...

Rome- sent money to China to pay for their luxuries
USA-- sends money to China to pay for goods, if not luxuries from other countries

Did I miss anything?

Why are we repeating history??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-16-2010, 06:53 AM
 
Location: between Ath,GR & Mia,FL...
2,574 posts, read 1,995,532 times
Reputation: 327
All Empires decline...eventually...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-16-2010, 07:18 AM
 
Location: Scottsdale, AZ
4,486 posts, read 15,293,605 times
Reputation: 3936
Quote:
Lets list somethings that Rome and the USA have/had in common.

Politics-- became complacent and corrupt

Leadership form--- Democracy, although Rome had 2 consuls, they had dictators and emperors like Presidents

Armies- massive, the best

Entertainment- pornography (US) Prostitutes (Rome)

Colliseum- with bloody battles and gory fights
Movies-- SAW VI (all SAWs) horror movies

Economic collapse-- although Rome lasted 200 years with a failing economy...

Rome- sent money to China to pay for their luxuries
USA-- sends money to China to pay for goods, if not luxuries from other countries

Did I miss anything?

Why are we repeating history??
Well if you're speaking of the Roman empire, it was an autocratic form of government, not a democratic. Many people get confused because the Roman empire had a Senate which held no actual power. It was merely a body of legislators with perceived power, not actual power.

The Roman army was never that big, it was based on conscription and usually only sons from wealthy families joined at first. During the Punic Wars, the Romans lost a few battles but eventually won. The size of the Roman army to the amount of land the Roman empire controlled after they defeated Carthage was not sufficient and ultimately lead to their demise.

Music and literature were prominent forms of entertainment, not just prostitutes.

Rome actually traded with China, they didn't just send money for silk. Rome often sent over rugs and glass and in return China sent silk.

I think you really need to brush up on your history.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-16-2010, 09:26 AM
 
Location: Sinking in the Great Salt Lake
13,143 posts, read 19,212,032 times
Reputation: 14007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kings Ranger View Post
Lets list somethings that Rome and the USA have/had in common.

Politics-- became complacent and corrupt

Leadership form--- Democracy, although Rome had 2 consuls, they had dictators and emperors like Presidents

Armies- massive, the best

Entertainment- pornography (US) Prostitutes (Rome)

Colliseum- with bloody battles and gory fights
Movies-- SAW VI (all SAWs) horror movies

Economic collapse-- although Rome lasted 200 years with a failing economy...

Rome- sent money to China to pay for their luxuries
USA-- sends money to China to pay for goods, if not luxuries from other countries

Did I miss anything?

Why are we repeating history??
Rome - people wore togas.
USA- some people wear togas at college beer busts

Rome- people drink water from lead pipes
USA- kids suck on Chinese toys covered in lead paint

Rome- People went to Vesuvius for vacation
USA- Once I went to Vesuvius for vacation

Rome- The leaders usually molested little boys, banged their sisters, bathed naked together and drank too much.

USA- OK, maybe this is a true parallel...


But I still don't see the connection...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-16-2010, 09:31 AM
 
Location: Earth
24,639 posts, read 24,843,755 times
Reputation: 11318
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chango View Post
Rome- The leaders usually molested little boys, banged their sisters, bathed naked together and drank too much.
Don't you mean the Vatican?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-16-2010, 10:06 AM
 
Location: Sinking in the Great Salt Lake
13,143 posts, read 19,212,032 times
Reputation: 14007
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
Don't you mean the Vatican?
Hmmm... One has to wonder considering the Vatican is sitting right on top of ancient Rome.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-17-2010, 11:19 AM
 
604 posts, read 657,499 times
Reputation: 261
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedyAZ View Post
Well if you're speaking of the Roman empire, it was an autocratic form of government, not a democratic. Many people get confused because the Roman empire had a Senate which held no actual power. It was merely a body of legislators with perceived power, not actual power.

The Roman army was never that big, it was based on conscription and usually only sons from wealthy families joined at first. During the Punic Wars, the Romans lost a few battles but eventually won. The size of the Roman army to the amount of land the Roman empire controlled after they defeated Carthage was not sufficient and ultimately lead to their demise.

Music and literature were prominent forms of entertainment, not just prostitutes.

Rome actually traded with China, they didn't just send money for silk. Rome often sent over rugs and glass and in return China sent silk.

I think you really need to brush up on your history.

At times the Senate had no power, but many times Dictators and Consuls would listen to them.

The Roman Army was not big, my mistake, but powerful, they fought MANY MANY wars, not just the Punic Wars... they were a professional army, after the Punic Wars, not just conscripted (fair warning, I'm assuming conscription means volunteer civilians??)

They could defend themselves, when it fell though, they couldn't raise an army of 10,000 even.

I was just listing similarities, theatre performances too were entertainment.

Rome had many imports from other countries. They DID export goods, but had very few to export, like olive oil, wine, but China and Asia had many goods and spices, silk, etc that Romans were buying, so merchants were sending money out of Rome, which lead to EXtremely high inflation (USA...)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-17-2010, 11:44 AM
 
1,463 posts, read 5,665,588 times
Reputation: 936
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedyAZ View Post
Well if you're speaking of the Roman empire, it was an autocratic form of government, not a democratic. Many people get confused because the Roman empire had a Senate which held no actual power. It was merely a body of legislators with perceived power, not actual power.

The Roman army was never that big, it was based on conscription and usually only sons from wealthy families joined at first. During the Punic Wars, the Romans lost a few battles but eventually won. The size of the Roman army to the amount of land the Roman empire controlled after they defeated Carthage was not sufficient and ultimately lead to their demise.

Music and literature were prominent forms of entertainment, not just prostitutes.

Rome actually traded with China, they didn't just send money for silk. Rome often sent over rugs and glass and in return China sent silk.

I think you really need to brush up on your history.


What? Don't you know Teabaggers don't read...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-17-2010, 11:47 AM
 
Location: Long Beach
2,348 posts, read 2,427,497 times
Reputation: 909
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kings Ranger View Post
Lets list somethings that Rome and the USA have/had in common.

Politics-- became complacent and corrupt

Leadership form--- Democracy, although Rome had 2 consuls, they had dictators and emperors like Presidents

Armies- massive, the best

Entertainment- pornography (US) Prostitutes (Rome)

Colliseum- with bloody battles and gory fights
Movies-- SAW VI (all SAWs) horror movies

Economic collapse-- although Rome lasted 200 years with a failing economy...

Rome- sent money to China to pay for their luxuries
USA-- sends money to China to pay for goods, if not luxuries from other countries

Did I miss anything?

Why are we repeating history??
You really think it's that simple? Seriously?

Well, any student of American history would tell you, that America was founded upon the traditions of the Roman Republic and Ancient Athens.

you did forget one thing, Rome fell and so will the United States in the future, but only time will tell. All great civilizations come to an end.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-17-2010, 11:50 AM
 
604 posts, read 657,499 times
Reputation: 261
Quote:
Originally Posted by lmkcin View Post
You really think it's that simple? Seriously?

Well, any student of American history would tell you, that America was founded upon the traditions of the Roman Republic and Ancient Athens.

you did forget one thing, Rome fell and so will the United States in the future, but only time will tell. All great civilizations come to an end.

Its not simple at all, but we're REPEATING HISTORY...

We're taught history on the basis of "Those who forget history, are doomed to repeat it"

And America hasn't last 1,000 years, as Rome did, and I doubt they will, so why are we falling faster?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:38 PM.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top