Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2010, 03:57 AM

14,100 posts, read 28,515,251 times

Advertisements

Google backs Yahoo in privacy fight with DOJ | Politics and Law - CNET News
Google and an alliance of privacy groups have come to Yahoo's aid by helping the Web portal fend off a broad request from the U.S. Department of Justice for e-mail messages, CNET has learned.
In a brief filed Tuesday afternoon, the coalition says a search warrant signed by a judge is necessary before the FBI or other police agencies can read the contents of Yahoo Mail messages--a position that puts those companies directly at odds with the Obama administration.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2010, 03:58 AM

I'll sit here and listen to the crickets while awaiting Bush administration bashers to come here equally outraged against the Obama administration.

Old 04-16-2010, 04:09 AM

10,029 posts, read 8,342,360 times
BUT BUT BUT.....George W. Bush!!!! Oh wait...no, not that one...

Racism!!! Yeah-RACISM!!!!!!

Old 04-16-2010, 04:41 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,023,289 times
Hopefully this will spur Yahoo and these other email providers to start offering or even requiring private/public key encryption. No key, no soup for you.

Old 04-16-2010, 05:32 AM

9,644 posts, read 9,842,040 times
Just remember you are as free as the gov allows you to be.

Old 04-16-2010, 05:38 AM

745 posts, read 1,437,732 times
I actually do not really have a problem w/ the DOJ reading my emails..... if it makes the country safer, then read away.

However, I am sure this would be a BIG story with the MSM if W was still in office. Amazing!!

Old 04-16-2010, 05:48 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,023,289 times
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

-Benjamin Franklin

FYI chances of this providing you any safety are nil, someone such as terrorist will already be using encryption.

Old 04-16-2010, 05:54 AM

Still hearing the crickets. I'm not being critical of nor defending Obama's administration. I'm just curious as to the reaction of those who practically screamed bloody murder at the idea of the warrantless wiretaps (which were recording conversations between american citizens with potential islamic terrorist). Now, is the purpose of this email search to find islamic terrorist or to find dirt on political opponents like Clinton tried to do using the IRS audits on his critics?

Old 04-16-2010, 06:25 AM

199 posts, read 319,368 times
While I think it is a disgrace that anyone's email could be read with out a warrant, it has been and will continue to happen.

The Government has had servers intercepting mail since before W.

The information is not however, used as evidence in any court proceeding.
This current situation is targeting specific accounts, which tells me that they have intercepted some, potentially damaging information and want to go look at the email that this account has stored.

Right now, they do not have a way of looking at stored data, they can only intercept data that is transmitted.

I understand why they want to do this, but I still see it as an end run around the constitution. And they may have the noblest of intentions today, but that doesn't mean they always will. I mean, this kind of access would make Watergate type scenarios simple for the incumbents of the country. Making the gap between the rich elite and the people even wider.

Situations like this is when we as citizens, need to contact our Representatives and Senators in droves!!!!

I do ultimately believe Yahoo and Google will win this case, but is ridiculous that they have to take the DOJ to court to even do this.

Old 04-16-2010, 08:52 AM

1,317 posts, read 1,398,505 times
My Yahoo mail was monitored 5 years ago. All it takes is a court order, easy for just about any PD.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies