Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2010, 07:27 AM

77,005 posts, read 47,597,802 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by florida.bob View Post
I think what we see being posted, are thoughts from people really irritated that the signs of economic recovery keep continuing to happen. The significance of this information is lost in their anti-Obama fervor.
Yes, they can't hide their disgust for good news. They react like vampires when sunlight hits them.

http://www.michellerowen.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/03/funny-pictures-vampire-cats-shade-sunlight.jpg (broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2010, 07:29 AM

3,390 posts, read 4,948,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Builders returning to the devastated Florida housing market - Apr. 16, 2010

Though the state is still digging out from the overbuilding excesses of the housing boom, home builders are ramping up their operations for the first time in four years. They are buying land, hiring workers and actually selling homes.

Most of the action is happening near larger cities, where the jobs are found. Thanks to these pockets of strength, building permits for single-family homes are up 60% in the first two months of 2010 compared to the same period a year earlier, according to federal statistics

Builders are actually surprised at the brisk pace at which their new houses are selling.

Take K. Hovnanian's Harbour Isles project in Apollo Beach, just south of Tampa. The builder has sold 12 houses in eight weeks to young professionals, retirees from up north, as well as a few real estate agents. Demand has been so strong for the homes, which start at 1,850-square-feet, that K. Hovnanian recently upped the opening price by $10,000 to $169,990.
Wow. The ultimate in stupidity. They are still digging out from the surplus of homes yet they are building more and people are buying? There's Florida for ya!

Old 04-16-2010, 07:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzpost View Post
Wow. The ultimate in stupidity. They are still digging out from the surplus of homes yet they are building more and people are buying? There's Florida for ya!
What is so stupid about people wanting to live in a home?

Old 04-16-2010, 07:35 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,081,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by summers73 View Post
I'd be scared s***less if I "owned" a home that was currently worth 500K or more.
That would depend on when one bought their home. If they bought their home years ago on the top of the bubble, they've already taken the hit in their equity. If they recently bought their home they probably got one hell of a bargain.
Quote:
Not really. I want a super bargain and I'm just not satisfied with the price drops thus far. Much more to come, guaranteed.
Here I completely disagree with you. Home prices have tanked so far so fast that they have no where to go but up.
Quote:
After the homebuyer credit expires this month, I am looking forward to the bargains that await.
There are HUGE bargains for those willing to be selective in what they are buying. I think the homebuyer credit was a sham to begin with, and continues to be one. It was created to simply keep homes on the market, rather than hit the forclosure market. It was another bailout to banks, using buyers as the go between, and saved sellers from having to short sale their properties by at least $8K..

Old 04-16-2010, 07:36 AM

20,054 posts, read 18,275,532 times
Quote:
What is so stupid about people wanting to live in a home?
Too bad that's not what the article is about.

BTW, I love lamp.

Old 04-16-2010, 07:41 AM

Quote:
Exactly. For once I agree with you.
I think you'd agree with me more often if you'd stop taking such a defensive stand to defend Obama. If you had your eyes wide open, you'd understand that many of my postings discuss reality, be them for, or against Obama. I could care didly who the president is, we are discussing the economy.
Quote:
I have been eyeballing the Miami/Ft Lauderdale beach condos too, and they are indeed gorgeous units with all imaginable unpgrades, but the monthly maintanance fees are a killer.
Which is why I'm looking at buying out the whole building. Not a chance I want an individual condo, I dont understand the attraction to them. One may as while just rent..

Old 04-16-2010, 07:44 AM

Quote:
Too bad that's not what the article is about.
From the article:

So who's brave enough to buy? Predominantly first-time buyers who are taking advantage of the federal tax credit, and retirees who are finding Florida affordable once again.

These two groups in particular were priced out of the market during the boom and were afraid of plunging house values during the bust. Now, however, these would-be homeowners are ready to sign contracts because they have more confidence that the bottom is near.

Who isn't part of the buying trend: Investors, who helped drive up home values just a few years ago.

Old 04-16-2010, 07:45 AM

Quote:
Yes, they can't hide their disgust for good news. They react like vampires when sunlight hits them.
And you go from one extreme, to the other.

Just because someone sold 12 homes, and permits for homes are up, doesnt mean the economy has recovered.

Permits are often given out but until ground breaks and loans are arranged, a permit is nothing more than a piece of paper which does not generate any economic stimulation. (other than the fee to the government).

Old 04-16-2010, 07:48 AM

Quote:
From the article:

So who's brave enough to buy? Predominantly first-time buyers who are taking advantage of the federal tax credit, and retirees who are finding Florida affordable once again.
So while disputing summers argument, you validate her opinion that the sales are related to the tax credit.. I dont think I've ever heard anyone dispute an argument, and validate it all in the same sentence..

Old 04-16-2010, 07:48 AM

20,054 posts, read 18,275,532 times
Quote:
From the article:

These two groups in particular were priced out of the market during the boom and were afraid of plunging house values during the bust. Now, however, these would-be homeowners are ready to sign contracts because they have more confidence that the bottom is near.

Who isn't part of the buying trend: Investors, who helped drive up home values just a few years ago.
You were asking me what's wrong with wanting a home. That's not what the article is about. Everyone wants a home, and I wouldn't challenge that statement. People in Zimbabwe want homes too. I'd be hard pressed to find someone in the world who doesn't want a home. You might as well have asked "What's wrong with wanting the sun to rise from the East?". The article is about building permits, not on the desire of people wanting homes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies