Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2010, 07:50 AM

77,005 posts, read 47,592,894 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
I think you'd agree with me more often if you'd stop taking such a defensive stand to defend Obama...
You think every topic is about Obama and every time someone mentiones something positive, you think they attribute it to Obama, but that is not the case. I hardly ever even mention him, nor didn't even vote for him. You hate him so deeply that you are obsessed with him, so you think every discussion revolves around him. For example, this topic has absolutely nothing to do with Obama, yet you brought up his name again. I have no interest in discussion him.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2010, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Permits are often given out but until ground breaks and loans are arranged, a permit is nothing more than a piece of paper which does not generate any economic stimulation. (other than the fee to the government).
In order to obtain a permit, some work needs to have been completed and some money invested, so they don't apply for permits just for the heck of it.

Old 04-16-2010, 07:54 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,668,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzpost View Post
Wow. The ultimate in stupidity. They are still digging out from the surplus of homes yet they are building more and people are buying? There's Florida for ya!
Yes it's foolish. The housing bubble was what led to the collapse of the economy and now the Obamites are trying to create a new housing bubble.

Without jobs to support the housing industry, the bringing in of cheap labor to build these houses that unemployed Americans cannot afford is not good at all.

Old 04-16-2010, 07:56 AM

Quote:
So while disputing summers argument, you validate her opinion that the sales are related to the tax credit.. I dont think I've ever heard anyone dispute an argument, and validate it all in the same sentence..
Show me where I disputed it. The only person disputing the tax-credit was you.

Old 04-16-2010, 07:57 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,077,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
You think every topic is about Obama and every time someone mentiones something positive, you think they attribute it to Obama, but that is not the case. I hardly ever even mention him, nor didn't even vote for him. You hate him so deeply that you are obsessed with him, so you think every discussion revolves around him. For example, this topic has absolutely nothing to do with Obama, yet you brought up his name again. I have no interest in discussion him.
I hate to be the bearer of bad news but again, I DONT CARE who the dam president is. The presidency has absolutely positively no affect upon my life what so ever. I'm more concerned with what CONGRESS does, than the president.

Yes, I brought him up again because everytime there is good news, the liberals all try to spin them into a recovery, (due to Obamas policies) and ignore all of the facts which dispute otherwise. 12 homes being sold does not = a recovery. I just closed on a property where the tenant is a real estate developer. They had to sell their CORPORATE OFFICE to raise funds because they cant get loans to build. This company has $100M a year in revenues, and couldnt get a $4M loan to go onto their next stage of expansion.

This is reality, and as long as Washington continue to ignore the reason why there is no recovery, there wont be one.

We need access to capital, which then result in businesses growing, which then results in jobs, which then results in lower foreclosures and home development and sales. ACCESS TO CAPITAL DOES NOT EXIST, unless of course you are the big banks getting federal "loans" to invest in federal debt..

Old 04-16-2010, 07:58 AM

17,531 posts, read 24,685,656 times
Quote:
Builders returning to the devastated Florida housing market - Apr. 16, 2010

Though the state is still digging out from the overbuilding excesses of the housing boom, home builders are ramping up their operations for the first time in four years. They are buying land, hiring workers and actually selling homes.

Most of the action is happening near larger cities, where the jobs are found. Thanks to these pockets of strength, building permits for single-family homes are up 60% in the first two months of 2010 compared to the same period a year earlier, according to federal statistics

Builders are actually surprised at the brisk pace at which their new houses are selling.

Take K. Hovnanian's Harbour Isles project in Apollo Beach, just south of Tampa. The builder has sold 12 houses in eight weeks to young professionals, retirees from up north, as well as a few real estate agents. Demand has been so strong for the homes, which start at 1,850-square-feet, that K. Hovnanian recently upped the opening price by $10,000 to $169,990.
That's awful, Florida is still glutted with Forclosures, the last thing they need is more houses on the market.

Old 04-16-2010, 07:59 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,077,144 times
Quote:
In order to obtain a permit, some work needs to have been completed and some money invested, so they don't apply for permits just for the heck of it.
Incorrect.. No work needs to be completed, you need to have a blue print, and survey, but NO work.. Did you misunderstand what a building permit is? You cant do ANY WORK without a permit!!

Old 04-16-2010, 08:01 AM

2,229 posts, read 1,685,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by florida.bob View Post
I think what we see being posted, are thoughts from people really irritated that the signs of economic recovery keep continuing to happen. The significance of this information is lost in their anti-Obama fervor.
I hadn't seen a single person say the name Obama in this thread before you post.

Its a cheap shot to attempt to invalidate everybody elses opinion simply by calling them partisan. Especially when there is nothing partisan about it.

I am an Architect, and I can tell you, there are multiple things about that story that don't quite fit the mold the OP and you are trying to make it fit.

First off, the article is very vague about "single family residential permits". Technically, if somebody were going to re-roof their house, they would need to pull a permit, which would then be classified as a residental permit. That doesn't necessarily mean there is a new house being built. The article didn't claim that the statistics were based on new construction single family residential.

Secondly, there is a huge influx of properties available in the market. These contractors are DESPERATE. However, they are the ones that contributed to the huge supply in a moderate demand market. They were greedy too.

Please, stop lessening discussions regarding the economic downturn that effect everybody to some cheap partisan non-sense, and claiming that others just want to see the economy fail.

Old 04-16-2010, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Yes it's foolish. The housing bubble was what led to the collapse of the economy and now the Obamites are trying to create a new housing bubble.

Without jobs to support the housing industry, the bringing in of cheap labor to build these houses that unemployed Americans cannot afford is not good at all.
The article says they are building around the bigger cities where the jobs are. Just because there is an unemployment problem, doesn't mean that no one finds a job. We have laid off apprx 50% our employees, and most of them found another job. I wouldn't call them fools if they sold their home in Miami and bought another one in Tampa. What is so foolish about that?

Do you live in a home, or a cardboard box? If you live in a home, then isn't it strange that you'd call someone foolish for wanting to live in a home?

Old 04-16-2010, 08:02 AM

12,270 posts, read 11,323,715 times
I was just down in the Jacksonville/Amelia Island area. While my wife was shopping I browsed the pictures on a realtor's office, and was struck by a new 4 bedroom, 3 bathroom house with a little courtyard four blocks from the beach in a nice area. The asking price was $299,000...the agent popped out of the store, saw what I was looking at, said it had never been lived in and the seller would take a lot less. When asked, she said the seller would probably take $200,000, especially if it was cash.

I've dealt with numerous real estate agents and have never seen anyone so eager/desperate to move a property. Florida has loads of inventory to move, it wouldn't surprise me if some boomers are snapping up open lots at depressed prices and building their dream retirement home.

Last edited by Dockside; 04-16-2010 at 08:53 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies