Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2010, 08:12 AM

2,229 posts, read 1,686,716 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Yet, you feel compelled to bring the president into every conversation like you just did here. You were the only poster to even mention the president. No, I dont' care either, and if you keep bringing him up I'll report you for spamming.

Actually, for the third time now.

A lefty brought up Obamas name FIRST in this thread.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2010, 08:14 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,108,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcarlilesiu View Post
Actually, most developers and spec home builders use plans off the internet, draw them themselves, or have them stockpiled since they build the same plans over and over.
Correct. How many neighborhoods do you see every single home look exactly the same as one another because the developer used the same plan for every home.. One cost spread over 100 emails, the cost is like $5 per home.. Big deal..
Quote:
Surveys aren't necessary for plat development, only for sub-division development. A single residential home doesn't need a survey to build as long as they have a site plan showing setbacks and services.
Thanks for the correction. I subdivided lots in the past and have done surveys, were not aware they werent needed for single lots..

Old 04-16-2010, 08:15 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,108,083 times
Quote:
Then who is foolish? The builder who tries to satisfy the demand?
I'm not sure who the foolish ones are, but no one called the home buyers foolish for wanting to live in a home. That was never said..

Old 04-16-2010, 08:17 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,629,107 times
Quote:
Actually, most developers and spec home builders use plans off the internet, draw them themselves, or have them stockpiled since they build the same plans over and over.
It requires some work to come up with them, no matter how you'd like to downplay the fact. Besides, you don't just pull them off the internet and take them to the city, you also have to show where the electric will come from and how the plumbing hooks up the city's system. It requires some work. Period. And the city won't review and approve it for free either.

Old 04-16-2010, 08:18 AM

2,229 posts, read 1,686,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
Thanks for the correction. I subdivided lots in the past and have done surveys, were not aware they werent needed for single lots..
If that single lot was part of a larger development, the survey would have already been completed under the sub-division development. Thus, individual builders won't be responsible.

I have also submitted multiple projects to various jurisdictions without a survey and they have all been approved. I have never been informed to tell the owner to obtain one, unless their is a gross discrepancy with a neighboring owner or similar.

Old 04-16-2010, 08:19 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,629,107 times
Quote:
Actually, for the third time now.

A lefty brought up Obamas name FIRST in this thread.
I DON'T CARE!!! No more mentioning of frikkin Obama!!

Old 04-16-2010, 08:23 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,698,996 times
Quote:
The article says they are building around the bigger cities where the jobs are. Just because there is an unemployment problem, doesn't mean that no one finds a job. We have laid off apprx 50% our employees, and most of them found another job. I wouldn't call them fools if they sold their home in Miami and bought another one in Tampa. What is so foolish about that?

Do you live in a home, or a cardboard box? If you live in a home, then isn't it strange that you'd call someone foolish for wanting to live in a home?
So you believed in Bush's housing bubble and the economy that built?

The recreation of Bush's housing bubble is not about creating a solid economy. That would require bringng back manufacturing and Obama isn't about to do that. He's just trying to recreate the Bush economy with the massive house building that went on -- and of course jobs for cheap labor immigrants because of course the builders bring in truck loads of them so their profits are sky high.

Old 04-16-2010, 08:33 AM

9,319 posts, read 18,747,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
So you believed in Bush's housing bubble and the economy that built?

The recreation of Bush's housing bubble is not about creating a solid economy. That would require bringng back manufacturing and Obama isn't about to do that. He's just trying to recreate the Bush economy with the massive house building that went on -- and of course jobs for cheap labor immigrants because of course the builders bring in truck loads of them so their profits are sky high.
Cheap money and risky loans were the birthchild of the Clinton administration and the moron Bush just kept it going. Started in 1992. You can't just blame Bush without looking at the inception of these stupid feel good programs which by the way are still in place. Who wants an adjustable rate loan? I still see people signing on to them. How come Barney Frank gets to avoid a senate hearing and his pal Dodd for that fact?

Old 04-16-2010, 08:34 AM

4,156 posts, read 11,010,718 times
Quote:
Builders returning to the devastated Florida housing market - Apr. 16, 2010

Though the state is still digging out from the overbuilding excesses of the housing boom, home builders are ramping up their operations for the first time in four years. They are buying land, hiring workers and actually selling homes.

Most of the action is happening near larger cities, where the jobs are found. Thanks to these pockets of strength, building permits for single-family homes are up 60% in the first two months of 2010 compared to the same period a year earlier, according to federal statistics

Builders are actually surprised at the brisk pace at which their new houses are selling.

Take K. Hovnanian's Harbour Isles project in Apollo Beach, just south of Tampa. The builder has sold 12 houses in eight weeks to young professionals, retirees from up north, as well as a few real estate agents. Demand has been so strong for the homes, which start at 1,850-square-feet, that K. Hovnanian recently upped the opening price by $10,000 to $169,990.

Ok, so, even in the article it states:

"Builders are also anxiously waiting to see what happens when the $8,000 first-time homebuyers tax credit expires. Buyers have been rushing to sign contracts by the April 30 deadline. Neal, for one, says he's expecting a "strong decline" once the program ends.

At K. Hovnanian, Schulmeyer monitors his sales weekly and adjusts the pace of construction accordingly. In many places, he's just dipping is toe in the water, placing options on lots, which could cost a mere $500 to $1,000 a pop. If there's interest, he builds. If not, he hasn't lost much.

"Our risk is a small deposit and the model," he said."

I guess it's one of those things where somebody has got to go first huh?

I suppose it's better than wild dogs combing the empty lots in the sea of foreclosures of Florida, but I sure hope no one is celebrating yet.

Old 04-16-2010, 08:37 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,698,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MotleyCrew View Post
Cheap money and risky loans were the birthchild of the Clinton administration and the moron Bush just kept it going. Started in 1992. You can't just blame Bush without looking at the inception of these stupid feel good programs which by the way are still in place. Who wants an adjustable rate loan? I still see people signing on to them. How come Barney Frank gets to avoid a senate hearing and his pal Dodd for that fact?
I know that. Clinton was very proud of himself for NAFTA and the many trips he made to China to get the jobs going over there. Everything was about cheap labor and quick profits. Bush was just a continuation of Clinton.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies