Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2010, 11:57 AM

15,066 posts, read 8,627,795 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nvxplorer View Post
Agree completely. I'm beginning to think there's some kind of psychological mechanism at work with the tea party types.
Yes, I think you're hitting on something here. I think they call it discernment; wisdom; common sense; observation; critical thought; historical perspective; refusal to be led by the nose; ... these are some of the mechanisms at work.

Quote:
It's common for people to look outside themselves in search of scapegoats to blame for their condition. The tea partiers probably do feel enslaved. The recent poll suggests that they are fairly affluent. That tells me they are enslaved by their businesses, corporate leaders, clientele; in other words, they feel chained to their office desks. Poor guys. I have no sympathy.

Myself, I'm a working stiff, and I accepted my lot in life decades ago. It's called growing up. Life's too short to complain about every little thing that comes along. I'm enjoying my freedom. We are more free today than at any time in history.
Without question, you are living an alternate reality ... total denial .. and a servile mentality of acceptance.

Taught to be a serf from childhood onward ... your definition of growing up is accepting your lot in life? Decades of it?

Then, go fetch me a scotch, James ... and cut one of those Monty 2's for me on the way back. You just love your lot, and the hand that feeds you, don't you? Oh yes you do LOVE IT. You'll love it even more when you're an unemployed stiff.

Quote:
I'm participating in the Freedom Ride on May 15th. About a thousand Nevada bikers will ride in to Hawthorne to have fun and support military personnel - past and present. I'd love Sarah Palin to join us, and I'd hope she starts spewing her "we're losing our freedom" speech. Bikers love a good laugh, and seeing Palin laughed off the stage would be priceless.

If any of you ride, and will be near northern Nevada on the weekend of May 15th, send me a PM, and I'll give you info. True patriots don't whine, and there will be no whining in Hawthorne on May 15th.
You're no biker I've ever known .... nothing you said sounds remotely familiar.

Last edited by CaseyB; 04-17-2010 at 07:36 AM.. Reason: language
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2010, 11:57 AM

3,331 posts, read 5,955,296 times
Quote:
I'm not going to argue economics. Been there, done that. A quick reading of the differences between the public and private sectors is readily available on the internet. Economic terms can be confusing, and most people have little to no understanding of what they mean. Case in point; your claim that government doesn't produce capital. That is incorrect. What you probably mean is that government doesn't earn a profit. That would be correct. Sadly, many people have come to believe that profit is a magical force that makes money fall out of the sky.

I respect your opinion, and I don't entirely disagee. I don't get all worked up over our government, however. I have much better things to do with my time. I'm a free man. Why would I want to chain myself to irrational anger?

Our government is formed through democratic means. Get out and vote. Call your representatives. Keep in mind that your opinion is not the only one out there, and be man enough to accept decisions that don't align with your views.
And I respect yours as well. It's good that we can talk like this, discuss issues and disagree without getting nasty. I appreciate that from you.

You go on Harley rides; I go on Corvette drives. We Corvette enthusiasts wave when we pass each other as well.

Last edited by Fullback32; 04-16-2010 at 12:12 PM..

Old 04-16-2010, 12:06 PM

768 posts, read 1,087,861 times
Quote:
Governments produce plenty of things. The public sector is just another portion of the economy. That it is supported in aggregate (through decisions made by officials elected by popular vote, and others appointed by said officials) rather than individually (through our purchasing decisions), does not mean governments produce nothing. Did you attend public school? I did. My education was produced by government. That's one example of many.

It is obvious that you attended public (government) school and as your post clearly demonstrates, the indoctrination and brainwashing was a smashing success.

Last edited by Consent Withdrawn; 04-16-2010 at 12:40 PM..

Old 04-16-2010, 12:07 PM

9,763 posts, read 10,525,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyNTexas View Post
Yes, I think you're hitting on something here. I think they call it discernment; wisdom; common sense; observation; critical thought; historical perspective; refusal to be led by the nose; ... these are some of the mechanisms at work.

Without question, you are living an alternate reality ... total denial .. and a servile mentality of acceptance.

Taught to be a slave from childhood onward ... your definition of growing up is accepting your lot in life? Decades of it?

Then, go fetch me a scotch, James ... and cut one of those Monty 2's for me on the way back. You just love your lot, and the hand that feeds you, don't you? Oh yes you do LOVE IT. You'll love it even more when you're an unemployed stiff.

You're no biker I've ever known .... nothing you said sounds remotely familiar.
One of my riding partners is from Texas; gun owner (like me), hunter (I don't hunt), working stiff (he's a co-worker), not religious (like me), conservative (a little more than me), and he sounds nothing like you. Maybe you're just a fake Texan.

Come to Nevada. Then you can familiarize yourself with what Nevada bikers sound like. Do you really know any bikers? I doubt it. Bikers wouldn't tolerate your pi*ssing and moaning, nor your hatefulness. Take a chill pill, dude, and when you calm down, you can tell all my biker union member friends what a bunch of sissy liberals they are for supporting the evil unions. I'll have my camcorder ready.

Old 04-16-2010, 12:10 PM

17,531 posts, read 24,691,987 times
I take it none of them will be collecting Social security or Medicare

Old 04-16-2010, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fullback32 View Post
And I respect yours as well. It's good that we can talk like this, discuss issues and disagree without getting nasty. I appreciate it that from you.

You go on Harley rides; I go on Corvette drives. We Corvette enthusiasts wave when we pass each other as well.

Thanks. A female riding partner of mine also has a red Corvette. Lucky b*tch!

About waving, I have an anecdote for you. The Reno police ride BMWs. The sheriff has only a few bikes, but they're all Harleys. I catch myself waving at Reno cops, only because I don't realize they're cops until it's too late. None have ever waved back. One day I saw a green Harley headed my way. I stuck my left arm out in typical fashion, and the rider of the green Harley waved back. It was a Washoe County Sheriff.

Old 04-16-2010, 12:21 PM

8,396 posts, read 9,440,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irspow View Post
Don't worry too much, we may want everything our way, but unlike the vast majority who oppose human freedom, we don't believe in using force to get our way. We leave that to the "enlightened" thugs amongst us.

I see...

More of this psychotic "us vs them" thinking.

We love freedom. They oppose freedom.

Grow up.

Old 04-16-2010, 12:22 PM

4,783 posts, read 3,741,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skoro View Post
I see...

More of this psychotic "us vs them" thinking.

We love freedom. They oppose freedom.

Grow up.
Or else!

Old 04-16-2010, 12:23 PM

8,396 posts, read 9,440,951 times
Quote:
Or else!
Or else you'll get a tax increase.

Old 04-16-2010, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Accept their decisions or else.

It does not matter if their decisions harm you, if you are guilty of nothing, or if the "planners" arbitrarily decide winners and losers by any old special interest. *waves flag*
Paranoia can be treated, and no, your psychiatrist is not out to get you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies