Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you believe in American Exceptionalism?
yes 28 56.00%
no 22 44.00%
Voters: 50. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2010, 01:07 PM

2,347 posts, read 2,783,250 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcsldcd View Post
Ahhh another America lover dreaming of collective thought. Is collective thought exceptional?

Jealousy is what most other countries have of America. We would be a better country if all the haters moved to the country of their dreams.
How many other counties have you been to? Most Europeans look down their nose at us, because they believe their lives to be better there than our's here. And we do the same thing to them, therefore deduction would state neither culture is better because it works for those who operate within it.

Don't forget America is little more than an experiment in democracy, social liberalism and republicanism. Don't get mad at the liberalism statement, because America is just that.

It combines a bunch of ideas from Ancient Greece and Rome, humanism and 17th century writers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2010, 01:17 PM

9,763 posts, read 10,523,473 times
Quote:
LOL I have never ascribed the word WE to mean just me. A dictionary is what I would prescribe.
You silly naive woman. I WAS TALKING ABOUT YOU. How 'bout a nice anti-sucker drug? Here ya go. It'll work. I promise. Now, pay up.

Old 04-16-2010, 01:20 PM

596 posts, read 889,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyGem View Post
Americans are exceptional.

Period.

What other nation in history will kick your tail in a fight after bombing your country, feed you and then pay to rebuild it?
I agree. The Marshall Plan was our greatest achievement. After all:

Am I not destroying my enemies when I make friends of them?
-Abraham Lincoln

Old 04-16-2010, 01:21 PM

13,691 posts, read 18,446,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lmkcin View Post
How many other counties have you been to? Most Europeans look down their nose at us, because they believe their lives to be better there than our's here. And we do the same thing to them, therefore deduction would state neither culture is better because it works for those who operate within it.

Don't forget America is little more than an experiment in democracy, social liberalism and republicanism. Don't get mad at the liberalism statement, because America is just that.

It combines a bunch of ideas from Ancient Greece and Rome, humanism and 17th century writers.
We're way past being an experiment - after 234 years.

Most Europeans know that the people of this country are not the government. It's the policy they don't like - the people they really have no problem with.

Old 04-16-2010, 01:28 PM

13,601 posts, read 21,385,992 times
Quote:
Ahhh another America lover dreaming of collective thought. Is collective thought exceptional?

Jealousy is what most other countries have of America. We would be a better country if all the haters moved to the country of their dreams.

After hurricane Andrew my area was devastated. Instead of our neighborhood people standing guard in front their supplies, we shared with each other. I had some drinks and meat, the other guy had a BBQ that wasn't blown away, another had some ice. We neighbors shared with each other and everybody was better off because.

Hurricane Katrina, people fought each other and were dog eat dog to each other, and most were worse off because.

"Collective" is not always bad, it is not always "communism". America was based on people having a base respect and goodness to each other, besides individual rights.

The idea that everybody is jealous of America is a closed minded thought.

Old 04-16-2010, 01:29 PM

9,888 posts, read 10,818,311 times
Quote:
Excuse me, excuse me, excuse me.

That is ONLY your opinion. And your opinion IS NOT FACT.

I'm gonna argue that Greece is that greatest nation in the world because they invented democracy, so there.

How dare you write to me like that, I will not be patronized.
Greece! Yes they are a leader in the world today of....................what not to do!!, Obama should look very close at your greatest nation. What happened to France you gave up on them so easily.

Old 04-16-2010, 01:34 PM

9,888 posts, read 10,818,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lionking View Post

"Collective" is not always bad, it is not always "communism". America was based on people having a base respect and goodness to each other, besides individual rights.

The difference my friend, is voluntary or forced, Americans are the most generous people in the entire world..........and not because they are forced or mandated to give.

Old 04-16-2010, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyGem View Post
We're way past being an experiment - after 234 years.

Most Europeans know that the people of this country are not the government. It's the policy they don't like - the people they really have no problem with.
234 years...that's all. I mean Greece has been a nation for about 3000 years.

England's first King was crowned in about 830 AD.

France has been France since the Treaty of Verdun in 843 AD.

And that's just modern history.

We have a long, long long time to go before we can even begin to compete with other nations.

You guys really are clueless. Pride always comes before the fall. And we're falling faster than you think.

Excessive pride is a sin.

Old 04-16-2010, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silas777 View Post
Greece! Yes they are a leader in the world today of....................what not to do!!, Obama should look very close at your greatest nation. What happened to France you gave up on them so easily.
You do realize the only reason we won the war against Britian was because of the French.

You don't take on the British Empire and expect to win. Our Founders knew that.

Well, you didn't like my French argument so chose another country with an astonishing history.

How 'bout this? China is the greatest nation because they out number us 3 to 1, plus they invented gun powder and paper.

Old 04-16-2010, 01:42 PM

596 posts, read 889,530 times
Quote:
234 years...that's all. I mean Greece has been a nation for about 3000 years.

England's first King was crowned in about 830 AD.

France has been France since the Treaty of Verdun in 843 AD.

And that's just modern history.

We have a long, long long time to go before we can even begin to compete with other nations.

You guys really are clueless. Pride always comes before the fall. And we're falling faster than you think.

Excessive pride is a sin.
How many different governments has France been through in that timeframe? Look it up, you may be surprised.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies